Baby Driver (Official Thread)

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I'm fascinated by numbers and data :yeshrug:

Better you than me. Them shyts make my head hurt. But I do enjoy reading Scott's stuff. As someone who cannot handle too many numbers without going cross-eyed, I'm always intrigued reading someone's work who gets them. You should make a thread similar to what Scott does on Forbes, breaking down ROI, multipliers, etc etc to truly determine whether a movie is a financial failure or not since we got a lot of faux accountants running around these parts

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Better you than me. Them shyts make my head hurt. But I do enjoy reading Scott's stuff. As someone who cannot handle too many numbers without going cross-eyed, I'm always intrigued reading someone's work who gets them. You should make a thread similar to what Scott does on Forbes, breaking down ROI, multipliers, etc etc to truly determine whether a movie is a financial failure or not since we got a lot of faux accountants running around these parts
Man if I had the money I would gladly pay for access to npd for gaming and sound scan for music. :ahh:

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
I just saw it last night. I was hooked from the opening scene. It was a lot of fun, and had amazing visuals and soundtrack, and it was on its way to becoming my favorite movie of 2017 (or at least top two along with Get Out).

Until the post office scene at least. After that the movie starts falling apart. There was an underlying theme of whirlwind romance, so I get why Buddy would go crazy after Darling got killed, but I didn't really buy his turn into the main villain, especially since up till Baby tried to ditch them, he was the one in the crew that was the most cool with him.

Plus, Doc threatened to cripple Baby and kill Joseph if Baby didn't do this job for him. But when Baby intentionally fukks it up he doesn't even attempt to send his goons after him? Then when he sees Baby and Debora together, he's just like, "Oh I'll help you two crazy kids out." :what:

Ultimately this movie ends up with much of the same problems Drive had, where a weak script is carried by amazing visuals and soundtrack (though Baby Driver had much better writing despite its third act).

All that being said it's still in my top two movies of the year, but it may fall out pretty quickly depending how the rest of the year goes. Still glad I saw it in theaters tho. On the Double Toasted rating scale, I'd give it a low full price. :ehh:

In regards to the Doc/Baby part in the spoiler

I took it as Doc saw him as a son. Aside from training, why else would Doc allow Baby to go to the post office with his son to check the layout, if he didn't trusted him and have some level of respect outside of being a wheel man. As indicated Doc and Baby only met because Baby stole from him, if he wasnt so young, he would of been killed. With Baby already stealing/joy riding prior to Doc, he probably saw it as a opportunity to make sure he could keep an eye out on Baby (who was an orphan and I'll hazard a guess and say Doc didn't have any kids of his own at that time) and also helps Baby feed his adrenaline addiction.

While Doc was leveraging Baby to do all these jobs to pay off a debt, he was also showing him tough love and that actions do have consequences, which Baby finally accepted when he gave himself up to be arrested.

Doc was under the clock and getting ready to flee, the wolves were circling of because of Bats and Co shooting up the Gun/Police connect. That's why those goons shouted bananas at him when they saw him, come out of the lift because that was his code word for completed deal and safety. Baby was the least of his problems tbh.

Ces1ne?

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NY
--This fckin kids driving skills/sequences (Brian O'Conner who? :rip: No offense:whoa:)

--that red card/king jumper Jamie Foxx was rockin' :ohlawd: in the beginning. Pretty obvious he was supposed to be blood-tied with the CONSTANT red, but that jumper was too fckin dope :feedme:

--those iPod classic skills with the quickness from Baby to keep that flow going :krs:

--100x better than Foxx's last attempt, "Sleepless" :manny:....but might've been as dumb overall (this was WAAAY more entertaining tho)

--most underused actor of recent times, Jon Bernthal....criminally only getting a few scenes:snoop:. This cat NEEDS to be The Punisher already, goddamn....sh!t would be glorious....only other dude is Frank Grillo :bustback:

--hard time AT FIRST, taking dude from Mad Men in this different typa role, but it actually worked

--gun/pig comparison at the meet & the (inevitable) ensuing carnage were dopeAF

Wasn't what I expected (thought it was gonna be too weird/artsy like "Drive").......in a good way, so it def gets a rec from me.

Definitely worth a watch or 2, can't hate on it :yeshrug:

Solid flick, very entertaining if u chillin' out getting a bit tipsy....no need to look into the "artsy" bullshyt cats been talking 'bout.....it's either not there or done in a way that didn't effect the movie.

Last edited:
Daps
To me they did a terrible job promoting this...They threw big names at you & a Rotten Tomato score at you but didn't get into what the movie was about. That alone turned me off but man....this movie was amazing...great job to all involved.

Hopeofmypeople

Veteran
Daps
--This fckin kids driving skills/sequences (Brian O'Conner who? :rip: No offense:whoa:)

--that red card/king jumper Jamie Foxx was rockin' :ohlawd: in the beginning. Pretty obvious he was supposed to be blood-tied with the CONSTANT red, but that jumper was too fckin dope :feedme:

--those iPod classic skills with the quickness from Baby to keep that flow going :krs:

--100x better than Foxx's last attempt, "Sleepless" :manny:....but might've been as dumb overall (this was WAAAY more entertaining tho)

--most underused actor of recent times, Jon Bernthal....criminally only getting a few scenes:snoop:. This cat NEEDS to be The Punisher already, goddamn....sh!t would be glorious....only other dude is Frank Grillo :bustback:

--hard time AT FIRST, taking dude from Mad Men in this different typa role, but it actually worked

--gun/pig comparison at the meet & the (inevitable) ensuing carnage were dopeAF

Wasn't what I expected (thought it was gonna be too weird/artsy like "Drive").......in a good way, so it def gets a rec from me.

Definitely worth a watch or 2, can't hate on it :yeshrug:

Solid flick, very entertaining if u chillin' out getting a bit tipsy....no need to look into the "artsy" bullshyt cats been talking 'bout.....it's either not there or done in a way that didn't effect the movie.

It's obvious this was heavily inspired by drive, I know it's said Edgar Wright had been sitting on this idea for years but it has drive all over it.