Avengers: Age Of Ultron - Official Thread *Spoilers*

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
decent in comparison to the 60s batman show or George Reeves superman but on the heels of ironman/TDK anything short of good (especially for a character as jingoistic and iconic to marvel as cap) isn't acceptable

thats your opinion... i liked the movie... i cant compare it to iron man because for all its strengths iron man's villains was garbage compared to the red skull... but i digress...

it reminded me strongly of the rocketeer movie, which is why i loved it... i didnt go in expecting too much and left pleasantly surprised...

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
thats your opinion.. i liked the movie... i cant compare it to iron man because for all its strengths iron man's villains was garbage compared to the red skull... but i digress...

Well of course it is who's other opinion would it be? And making the villains the gauge for quality is a :patrice: argument cuz as we know a movie can be great even with a weak villian. I mean GOTG is the most recent example of that

FocusedDaily

Chi-town's Hero
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South-side Chi
Thats the Hulk buster armor specifically made for fighting The Hulk just in case he gets out of control.
It looks like Ultron will take it over and use it to fight The hulk
ap_tlr-1_int_360p.gif

opvlth_th.jpg

Is it just me, but does it somehow actually look like james spader in that gif ?? :banderas:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Well of course it is who's other opinion would it be? And making the villains the gauge for quality is a :patrice: argument cuz as we know a movie can be great even with a weak villian. I mean GOTG is the most recent example of that

Well the general thought in storytelling is that your hero is only as strong as your villain, so the better the villain, the better your hero can be so it's not a :patrice: argument for some. You want your hero to be tested and pushed to the brink and you want to show some dichotomy between them so I'd argue that in order for your movie to really work on all cylinders, the villain has to be a major threat. There have only been a handful of great villains in comic book flicks though

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Well the general thought in storytelling is that your hero is only as strong as your villain, so the better the villain, the better your hero can be so it's not a :patrice: argument for some. You want your hero to be tested and pushed to the brink and you want to show some dichotomy between them so I'd argue that in order for your movie to really work on all cylinders, the villain has to be a major threat. There have only been a handful of great villains in comic book flicks though
I understand the premise duke it's as old as good vs evil so I don't need a detailed explanation thx it's just a flawed critique for reasons I have stated. I mean look at superman/lex the latter is just a human ffs, under a self indulgent writer he could be Justin hammer at yet he's managed to be superman greatest foe. But further more did 5th element, GOTG, hellboy or crow have great villians? We're they not great movies?

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I understand the premise duke it's as old as good vs evil so I don't need a detailed explanation thx it's just a flawed critique for reasons I have stated. I mean look at superman/lex the latter is just a human ffs, under a self indulgent writer he could be Justin hammer at yet he's managed to be superman greatest foe. But further more did 5th element, GOTG, hellboy or crow have great villians? We're they not great movies?

I'd argue that while I love Guardians, the thing that keeps it from being a great movie is the villain. I don't think it's a flawed critique if the basis of a battle is between good and evil. If the evil is lacking, then it makes for less compelling narrative. I don't think Hellboy is a "great" movie either..it's good yeah but it's not great. We just disagree on this front: I love heroes but I want to see that hero challenged not just internally but externally. I want to see them pushed and go up against someone who's just as smart as them if not smarter and more deadly because they have no morals or ethics. It's one reason the dark knight works so well and one reason Dark Knight Rises disappointed me, because they undercut Bane, who was for most of that movie, a great villain. The best Bond movies in my eyes are the ones with the biggest threats to Bond, same with superhero flicks. It's what separates a good movie from a great movie

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
a little extreme but they showed more than expected non of which excited me at all. They are also setting themselves up for some shyt having RDJ be such an overseeing and authoritative presence . That isn't the best route at all and could become a nuisance

TheyŕE doing a civil wař arch to řeplac captain América

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Daps

Thats because the focus on the movie was not the villian. It was getting the audience familiar with characters they never seen before and establishing their chemistry.

Age of Ultron is doing the opposite

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'd argue that while I love Guardians, the thing that keeps it from being a great movie is the villain. I don't think it's a flawed critique if the basis of a battle is between good and evil. If the evil is lacking, then it makes for less compelling narrative. I don't think Hellboy is a "great" movie either..it's good yeah but it's not great. We just disagree on this front: I love heroes but I want to see that hero challenged not just internally but externally. I want to see them pushed and go up against someone who's just as smart as them if not smarter and more deadly because they have no morals or ethics. It's one reason the dark knight works so well and one reason Dark Knight Rises disappointed me, because they undercut Bane, who was for most of that movie, a great villain. The best Bond movies in my eyes are the ones with the biggest threats to Bond, same with superhero flicks. It's what separates a good movie from a great movie

Hold up I got a bone to pick just about this Bane thing becuz it keeps getting repeated...how was Bane undercut in that movie? He didn't go out any wacker than the Joker and he was a bigger threat...Seems like for many of yall who say this,you feel he was undercut becuz u realized he had to take orders from a girl:sas2:?

I got a feeling if it turned out Bane was taking orders from Raz himself this "undercut" talk wouldn't be happening....I think they missed out not showing Thalia put in work on catwoman,but end of the day you know who she is and know what shes capable of,shes a g and a boss,and she bad:banderas:

And people need to stop acting like Bane was just some dumb goon,he was league of shadows trained just like Thalia and Batman so he's obviously intelligent...we don't know how involved in the planning he was,but im sure he would have some say seeing as though he puts the plans into action,he'd have to be apart of the tactical planning...at worst he's a front line general and folks try to play em like a bum now:mjlol:

And even if he was just a goon how you bring up James Bond then?some of the best villians/threats and scenes in those movie are the goons:manny:...and if you believe Thalia in fact did aaaaaalll the planning and important shyt:beli:....That would still actually make her a great villain:blessed:....so yall need to stop refusing to give her props if you wanna take em from Bane,if he wasn't a great villain she was...not sure how anybody can look at Bane less like they aint see em put in all that work in the field:childplease:

FrederickDouglas

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hold up I got a bone to pick just about this Bane thing becuz it keeps getting repeated...how was Bane undercut in that movie? He didn't go out any wacker than the Joker and he was a bigger threat...Seems like for many of yall who say this,you feel he was undercut becuz u realized he had to take orders from a girl:sas2:?

I got a feeling if it turned out Bane was taking orders from Raz himself this "undercut" talk wouldn't be happening....I think they missed out not showing Thalia put in work on catwoman,but end of the day you know who she is and know what shes capable of,shes a g and a boss,and she bad:banderas:

And people need to stop acting like Bane was just some dumb goon,he was league of shadows trained just like Thalia and Batman so he's obviously intelligent...we don't know how involved in the planning he was,but im sure he would have some say seeing as though he puts the plans into action,he'd have to be apart of the tactical planning...at worst he's a front line general and folks try to play em like a bum now:mjlol:

And even if he was just a goon how you bring up James Bond then?some of the best villians/threats and scenes in those movie are the goons:manny:...and if you believe Thalia in fact did aaaaaalll the planning and important shyt:beli:....That would still actually make her a great villain:blessed:....so yall need to stop refusing to give her props if you wanna take em from Bane,if he wasn't a great villain she was...not sure how anybody can look at Bane less like they aint see em put in all that work in the field:childplease:

I dont see where people came away with the impression Bane was Talia's flunky.

I always thought they were partners. :yeshrug:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

He's undercut because all of his development led to him being a boss, not a glorified bodyguard. Which is my issue with it and of course the way he went out. You undercut his menace by transitioning him in the 3rd act, late in the 3rd act mind you, and then you have him go down by a gunshot by a character off screen. He deserved better than that. It would be different if it was structured differently where you knew off the break that he was a hired goon then it works better for me but to introduce that so late in the movie, it just kinda dumped on him in my eyes.

And as far as Bond, I said the BEST bond movies have dope villains, not even saying they all aren't goons but they get enough development and act on their own and are clearly a menace or threat and don't get undercut. Red Grant, henchman yes, but he's dope all the way around and you know up front that he's a goon working for SPECTRE but it makes sense in the context of that world because he's an agent, just like Bond, and his job is to carry out his orders, just like Bond. Goldfinger, dope villain. Silva, dope villain, Blofeld, dope villain, who had Bond's wife killed on their wedding day...the damn flowers weren't even off the car yet. Stromberg, Dr. No, Largo, Trevelyan..all dope ass villains. I don't see oddjob as a great villain or jaws for that matter. They're parlor tricks

And then there's LeChiffre, who is his own entity, even though he's hired by Quantum, he's not an agent of Quantum or a goon for them; he's there accountant. But he goes toe to toe with Bond, he's ruthless, he's just as smart, if not smarter, and was going to win.

Edit: I got no problem with Bane being a hired goon but I do have a problem with how it was handled. It was the case of someone trying to be too smart for their own good for the sake of a twist.