Atlanta: The Final Season | Official Thread | FX & Hulu

Daps
You watched episode 2 “The Homeliest Little Horse”

Tonight was a double episode premiere. Every season with the exception of Robbin Season has premiered with Double episodes.

You missed “The Most Atlanta” but its playing right now on repeat and you can watch it tomorrow on Hulu

Smh... :snoop:

Thanks, breh. Well I guess I'll speak on the episode I saw. Earn at the therapist was a powerful moment. And I loved how they broke the 4th wall when the therapist said "what really happened at Princeton? You've hinted at it, but what's the real story?"

What i hated was Earns heel turn. It felt like it came out of nowhere, and while I found it hilarious, especially bringing ole boy back, it almost made me dislike Earns character.

But maybe I'm missing some context since I didn't see the first episode. Maybe there's something that precipitated his turn to the dark side.

The moments with the therapist bothered me because this world is so twisted and sick that on some level, when I see 2 brothas looking intently in each other's eyes on tv in 2022, I almost think some fakkitry is about to pop off cause that agenda is pushed so much. I was shocked that the therapist wasn't gay and was just a righteous brotha who cared about his client.

The other part that bothered me about that scene was... I wonder sometimes if I could do therapy, but something about talking about my feelings and someone getting me to go deeper into my personal traumas until I lose control of my emotions is unappealing to me. I never want to be in a situation where I'm talking so much about what I've been through that I just break down... even though I probably need to do it.

I loved how @Paper Boi and Darius called Earn out on his bs. I also liked how the random story actually tied in to the main characters as opposed to it being something completely unrelated like last season.

I made the statement earlier this week that I didn't think @Ziggiy and the other Glover brothers would be able to course correct being that they filmed s4 at the same time as s3. I wonder if the criticism made them go back and change some things.

With that being said, it was an aight episode. I'm not feeling any of the magic from s1 and s2 yet.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What i hated was Earns heel turn. It felt like it came out of nowhere, and while I found it hilarious, especially bringing ole boy back, it almost made me dislike Earns character.

But maybe I'm missing some context since I didn't see the first episode. Maybe there's something that precipitated his turn to the dark side.
Eh, we had an episode in season 2 where everyone was shytting on him, he wanted to get back at people but couldn't.

Few years later he's got a roster of talent, driving the foreign, got a condo he's redecorating even though he's about to take a big job in LA, he's definitely going to be getting back at people.

The get back is definitely exaggerated for comedic purposes, but Earn being on some "Aight, bet" type shyt when someone goes out of their way to wrong him seems normal, especially given his power now.

Avisible Man

S/N: 52093850
Daps
Eh, we had an episode in season 2 where everyone was shytting on him, he wanted to get back at people but couldn't.

Few years later he's got a roster of talent, driving the foreign, got a condo he's redecorating even though he's about to take a big job in LA, he's definitely going to be getting back at people.

The get back is definitely exaggerated for comedic purposes, but Earn being on some "Aight, bet" type shyt when someone goes out of their way to wrong him seems normal, especially given his power now.

Probably a lil cognitive dissonance going on for some viewers wherein Earn has come up, like you said, but that come up has happened off camera and via time jumps. We've spent more time with him when he was running around and struggling. I can see not being cool with that heel turn in that sense. We accept his come up cuz he says it but it's tough to believe because we haven't really seen it relative to what has been show for the cast majority of the series. But like u said, that get back is exaggerated for comedic purposes and proves to be diabolical as fukk.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Earnest Marks. Graduate of the Larry David School of Spite. Master of The Fielder Method.

the-rehearsal-nathan.gif

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
Just finished watching both episodes, this show :wow:

Great job of blending the comedy with the surreal, with Paperboi's scavenger hunt crossing over with Earn/Van escape from the mall.

Darius being stalked by the wheelchair knife lady :russ:.

Then in ep 2 I didn't see the twist coming at all, nor did I expect to get the Princeton story or childhood reveal about Earn.

Have to respect that level of pettiness and execution :mjgrin:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
That last episode was fukked up. Earn's a sociopath :lupe:

I really think it says something about how we’ve been conditioned to value white tears over black triumph.

Earn not being able to go to Princeton and gain that closure was a reopening of SEVERE trauma for him. Moreover it ruined a chance for Earn to further connect and progress his relationship with Van and Lottie. His SKIN COLOR directly caused another human being to purposefully re-inflict emotional pain and suffering on him.

So Earn gets even utilizing his money as the great equalizer and its “fukked up”, “diabolocial”, and Earn is a “sociopath”. Because again, we’ve been conditioned that fukked up shyt happens to black men and no matter what, we’re supposed to just grin and bare it but when we strike back (something that is natural for every other race) its “overboard”.

drederick tatum

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
I really think it says something about how we’ve been conditioned to value white tears over black triumph.

Earn not being able to go to Princeton and gain that closure was a reopening of SEVERE trauma for him. Moreover it ruined a chance for Earn to further connect and progress his relationship with Van and Lottie. His SKIN COLOR directly caused another human being to purposefully re-inflict emotional pain and suffering on him.

So Earn gets even utilizing his money as the great equalizer and its “fukked up”, “diabolocial”, and Earn is a “sociopath”. Because again, we’ve been conditioned that fukked up shyt happens to black men and no matter what, we’re supposed to just grin and bare it but when we strike back (something that is natural for every other race) its “overboard”.
I think this is a reach. His best friends, and family, reacted the same way. He lied to his therapist to do this. He didn't tell the people closest to him about it. He just dropped it on them like it was normal, "Hey, yeah, I did this. Why are y'all being weird?" He is gone. That's the whole point, and it will continue from here

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I think this is a reach. His best friends, and family, reacted the same way. He lied to his therapist to do this. He didn't tell the people closest to him about it. He just dropped it on them like it was normal, "Hey, yeah, I did this. Why are y'all being weird?" He is gone. That's the whole point, and it will continue from here

They were put off because again, nobody understands the depths of Earn’s pain and trauma OR its root cause except now for the therapist. For them it was A). Just a trip for Earn to be on a panel and B). Casual racism that black men are faces with everyday. We’ve been conditioned that the LITTLE shyt is bearable and not worthy of brooding over because so often racism can end up much much WORSE for black men that we’re supposed to brush it off. For Darius and Alfred that would’ve been something to simply charge to the game.

How the Therapist would’ve reacted is a matter of debate as we’ve only “known” him for the duration of this episode only, but considering the fact that its his job to understand that people aren’t perfect and he understands the depths of Earn’s trauma, i’d be willing to bet he’d act with more UNDERSTANDING than either Darius or Alfred, who it should also be pointed out, were clowning and belittling him at the beginning of the episode for seeking therapy in the first place.

Its funny how a major theme of this episode was actually telegraphed in several episodes of season 3. What does a world look like where black people are freed from the shackles of empathy for our oppressors? “The Big Payback”, “The Old Man And The Tree”, and “Rich Wigga Poor Wiggia” directly touched upon it but in the series proper its interesting to note that Earn is the only character in BOTH seasons to utilize money to exact justice. In Old Man In The Tree it was the white millionaire who Earn manipulated into “managing” his artist and in The Homeliest Little Horse its Lisa whose life is ruined due to Earn setting up and paying for the scam.

Last edited: