At what point did The Rock surpass Steve Austin?

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Nobody gave a fukk about that shyt. Stone cold was loved by everybody.

A breh above just quoted me and said he gave a fukk:dwillhuh:

@RamDam12 is a SOMEBODY:damn:

And I know many others that felt the same.

It got to a point all Austin did was stun folks. Rock had style and swagger

Rock was wearing $500 shirts..... niccas was was rocking $500 Averix coats:wow:

Martha

Heelish

#TSC #spooky
Supporter
Daps
Maybe Breakdown 98 but if you wanna laugh at Jim Ross playing favorites, listen to Rock's reaction at King of the Ring 99...Ross undersold that shyt comically even though the fans were more into that match than anything..Austin came out, he made it seem like it was a top 5 pop ever:laugh:
Good Ol’ :mjpls: JR basically joined another ‘Kiss My Ass Club’ exclusively for Austin with how hard he was playing favorites :smh:

Chris Cool

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So Cal
A breh above just quoted me and said he gave a fukk:dwillhuh:

@RamDam12 is a SOMEBODY:damn:

And I know many others that felt the same.

It got to a point all Austin did was stun folks. Rock had style and swagger

Rock was wearing $500 shirts..... niccas was was rocking $500 Averix coats:wow:

Martha
There's always gonna be anomalies.
:comeon: $500 averix coats?
Because of the rock?:comeon:

StarClout

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Broncos/NYY/NYR/ALA
Hogan had creative control and said he wasnt losing to austin. Vince wanted austin to go over, plus austin didnt really wanna work wit austin in the first place. Rock wss option b

tumblr_m8gcfxlqb81rptzqqo1_400.gif

Metal Face

Superstar
Daps
Rock was always the bigger draw anyways. :umad:

He holds the record of drawing most arenas with 10,000+ attendance on top in one calendar year. [Broke Hogan's(1986) and Austin's(1998) record in 1999 and set a record of headlining over 100 shows with 10,000 plus people in attendance in the year 2000. A box-office drawing record that is unsurpassed till date.]

TinFoilSnapBack

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
The Hogan business...

Yes, the original plan was for Austin, and it made better sense on paper than The Rock...

However, the way Rock pulled that shyt off with Hogan showed why he deserved to be in that spot more than Austin. That Rock/Hogan match was like a throwback to the late-80s, with its big match feel, and the crowd hanging on every single slight movement the wrestlers made. Meanwhile, Austin had a lackluster match with Scott Hall that night. That night was a clear indicator of who had the true star power, between Rock and Austin.

ig88

Bounty Hunter
Daps
Reppin
Intergalactic
Austin vs hogan didnt happen cuz austin knew a returning hogan would put austin in a bad spot. Noone sides a returning hogan coulda got the people against austin. The nonsense austin spewed about hogan not being abpe to go when that is probably the most fan invested match in wwf HISTORY was funny but if you know austin you know he wants to look good on top and was just as much a politician.

The fukkin excuse he use dont even make sense. Say no to hogan so you get drunk scotthall who could fukk it up before even getting there? ... yea ok

Rock surpassed austin that night.

Austin was not a bigger draw than hogan yall need to stop with the revisionist nonsense. Its like comparing babe ruth to barry bonds. Austin in an established company with one of the highest rated weekly shows on tv, ppvs every month, merchandise dropping left wnd right... of course he made more money than hogan in the 80s did for the company. Wwe was paying off tv stations and taking over territories before ppv was even created. You cant compare the numbers so even bringing them up is dumb.

Everyone knows the rock today like hogan. If i said steve austin to the average person they would not know who he is.

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
Austin vs hogan didnt happen cuz austin knew a returning hogan would put austin in a bad spot. Noone sides a returning hogan coulda got the people against austin. The nonsense austin spewed about hogan not being abpe to go when that is probably the most fan invested match in wwf HISTORY was funny but if you know austin you know he wants to look good on top and was just as much a politician.

The fukkin excuse he use dont even make sense. Say no to hogan so you get drunk scotthall who could fukk it up before even getting there? ... yea ok

Rock surpassed austin that night.

Austin was not a bigger draw than hogan yall need to stop with the revisionist nonsense. Its like comparing babe ruth to barry bonds. Austin in an established company with one of the highest rated weekly shows on tv, ppvs every month, merchandise dropping left wnd right... of course he made more money than hogan in the 80s did for the company. Wwe was paying off tv stations and taking over territories before ppv was even created. You cant compare the numbers so even bringing them up is dumb.

Everyone knows the rock today like hogan. If i said steve austin to the average person they would not know who he is.

Exactly, no one in my family knows who steve austin is but they all know who the rock is.

Is Austin Babe Ruth or Barry Bonds in your analogy?

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Surpassed? I'd say once he started splitting his time between wrestling and movies.

But it was coming... I'd say it really became a dead heat between Rock and Austin after Rock turned face in '99... he was already the clear top heel but once he left the Corporation, he really became that dude people were coming to see. Also, the Austin/McMahon feud had run its course and they kept tryin' to reheat it during the summer of '99, meanwhile every segment the Rock had was killin'... when Austin was out with the injury, Rock was on fire. Then Austin came back and was gettin' hotter again. But when he turned heel and Rock was doing movies, it solidified Rock as the top star in the company.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
After Austin's heel turn.

Even when Rock got the keys in 2000 Austin always had a lil' more fan support. Two biggest non-WrestleMania PPVs of 2000 all had hyped Austin returns and whenever the two were pit against each other the crowd would side with Austin.

Slystallion

Live to Strive
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Rock was always the bigger draw anyways. :umad:

He holds the record of drawing most arenas with 10,000+ attendance on top in one calendar year. [Broke Hogan's(1986) and Austin's(1998) record in 1999 and set a record of headlining over 100 shows with 10,000 plus people in attendance in the year 2000. A box-office drawing record that is unsurpassed till date.]

These records aren't apples to apples when the amount of shows in the 90s were much more frequent than the 80s