At what point did The Rock surpass Steve Austin?

boriquaking

In Sauce We Trust!
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Big Gete Star
I’d still say they’re on par.

However, an argument can be made that Rockys 2nd run against Cena/Punk/Miz/etc is was pushed him over. The fact that he came back at all, something Austin is adamant about not doing.

The Rock is just a bigger face in media as well.

But i still think if you ask people which one they think they goat is results are gonna be 50/50 its a tough question for people to answer.

Last edited:

El Cocodrilo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Rock has surpassed every pro wrestler that’s ever lived in terms of being successful at life... and he’s most likely our future president.

All that aside, in a pro wrestling context he became the man over steve, but the rock at his peak i dont think is as impactful and great as stone cold steve austin at his best. So I would say the rock did not surpass him.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
He definitely surpassed him in terms of recognition, and that might be because of outside Wrestling
But him being a mainstream star started when he was in the WWE still

I would say 2000

That SNL appearance before Wrestlemania, doing more award shows than Austin and even appearing on that Wyclef song thats when people saw he could do Hollywood stuff and started there

Business wise Austin might still be the biggest money maker (Merch plus tickets sold, though I been told Hogan is still number 1 from that gruelling 80s schedule) but Rock did help Mania 28 break records and 2000 was their most profitable year

Daps
Reppin
Toledo, OH
He outgrew Austin in 99. Him on top made more money than any other year in the Attitude Era(2000).

Common sense wise? Look at the booking..pretty much since the night after Backlash 99, the Rock was undeniable and just outranked in pro wrestling. Left the nwo, Taker, Goldberg in the dust. And you heard who the crowd was rooting for leading into Survivor Series 99..nuff said.

Case to be made? Put it like this..if they thought Hogan vs Austin was one of a kind..they would of made it but they didn't. Case solved.
Honestly, it was solidied to me that he passed Austin at Mania X8 when the match was billed “Icon vs Icon” to determine the best ever while Austin’s character was cold and he was in a forgettable match with Scott Hall in the 4th match of the night. You know Austin felt some type of way lol. That realization sealed it for me because you could longer use the excuse that things would’ve been different if Austin had been around because he was.

Last edited:

seemorecizzy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Honestly, it was solidied to me that he passed Austin at Mania X8 when the match was billed “Icon vs Icon” to determine the best ever while Austin’s character was cold and he was in a forgettable match with Scott Hall in the 4th match of the night. You know Austin felt some type of way lol. That realization sealed it for me because you could longer use the excuse that things would’ve been different if Austin had been around because he was.
Austin and hogan was the original plan though, everyone knows that. It didnt happen cause of politics, not cause austin was cold lol

I like rock more den austin, but rock never surpassed him in anything as far as the wrestling business goes..he always number 2, at his peak mayb a 1b.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
Austin and hogan was the original plan though, everyone knows that. It didnt happen cause of politics, not cause austin was cold lol

I like rock more den austin, but rock never surpassed him in anything as far as the wrestling business goes..he always number 2, at his peak mayb a 1b.
Lol

Daps
Reppin
Toledo, OH

Like already stated. At the end of the day, it’s Vince’s company and Austin was an employee. If Vince wanted the match to happen it happens.

And Rock was no.1 in 2000 and took the company to heights that’s it’s never seen before or since.

seemorecizzy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You're on the rock's cizzock lol
Cant expect you to be objective
I have no horse in this race
I was obsessed with wrestling during the attitude era.rock was my fav, Austin was da bigger star.

Austin vs hogan or austin vs goldberc would be considered a bigger match then rock vz goldberg or rock vs hogan and this isnt even debatable

seemorecizzy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Like already stated. At the end of the day, it’s Vince’s company and Austin was an employee. If Vince wanted the match to happen it happens.

And Rock was no.1 in 2000 and took the company to heights that’s it’s never seen before or since.
Hogan had creative control and said he wasnt losing to austin. Vince wanted austin to go over, plus austin didnt really wanna work wit austin in the first place. Rock wss option b

Daps
Reppin
Toledo, OH
Hogan had creative control and said he wasnt losing to austin. Vince wanted austin to go over, plus austin didnt really wanna work wit austin in the first place. Rock wss option b
But on Prichard’s podcast, Bruce said that Vince would never give creative control to another wrestler after Bret and the whole Montreal fiasco. Bret had creative control in his contract that’s the only reason why Vince was trying to reason with Bret to drop the title before screwing him.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
You're on the rock's cizzock lol
Cant expect you to be objective
I have no horse in this race
I was obsessed with wrestling during the attitude era.rock was my fav, Austin was da bigger star.

Austin vs hogan or austin vs goldberc would be considered a bigger match then rock vz goldberg or rock vs hogan and this isnt even debatable
You're on Austin's c0ck, gay thinker. Easy.

seemorecizzy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But on Prichard’s podcast, Bruce said that Vince would never give creative control to another wrestler after Bret and the whole Montreal fiasco. Bret had creative control in his contract that’s the only reason why Vince was trying to reason with Bret to drop the title before screwing him.
Hogan had creative control in his contract.
So hes lying or misinformed

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
Austin is the historic bigger draw. The biggest draw in the history of wrestling. He was never surpassed.

If Austin didn't catch fire in 1998, WWF would be out of business and Dwayne would be tag teaming with Prince Iaukea on WCW Thunder.