At their peak, who was more popular: Michael Jordan, Michael Jackson, John Cena, or Cristiano Ronaldo?

Who’s the most famous?

• Total voters

Mike18jj

Veteran
Daps
They got John Cena in this and he might not even be top 5 most popular wrestler. It's between Ronaldo or Michael Jackson, Soccer is not the main sport in the United States so we don't know how popular that shyt is in every other country.

lespaulultra3

All Star
Daps
Michael jackson and it ain't even close.
I know 3rd world country farmers ,who never even seen what a tv looks like, know of michael.

It's true what that one reporter said when mj died ' the most famous person to have ever lived died today'

I can co-sign this. I met my ex's parents and they live in a small rural town in Ethiopia. They've never owned a TV and the only ones they know from that list are Michael Jackson and Ronaldo. Her father literally showed me pictures of him imitating Michael in the 80s.

PL368Z

All Star
Daps
Ronaldo at least from my experience, when I lived back home I knew of him and so i did everyone i came across, while only coming to know the other 3 due to my familiarity with American culture.

I quess this applies to countless others especially in the global South.

Last edited:

GilSho

Veteran
Daps
Then you don't understand MJ at his peak. That's why his shoes still are still coveted. That's why phrases like, "be like Mike" entered pop culture. Mike made basketball universal. Little kids all over the world, playing soccer, also picked up a basketball.
This is an extremely American-cetric view and confirmation bias. On a global scale, Jordan is not touching Ronaldo's fame lol

How is this a debate man?

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
This is what I came to post.

If you call Mike's high point his peak... it lasted for his whole lifetime damn near. I seriously would say his popularity went up with Off the Wall and it stayed in the stratosphere til maybe a decade before his death. But if you call the last part of his life a decline, it's like dropping from the edge of outer space down to the level of the clouds. Still way above everyone.
I don’t think there was a decline at all. Negative press, yeah but that tour was about to sell out and I still remember paparazzi pictures and him being stalked wearing masks etc.