At some point won't African immigrants just become AA?

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Play along bruh:stopitslime:

Liberia was literally created by white americans and mulattos lol why yall pay that idiot attention is beyond me.

My tribe predates liberia and is found in muliple countries so I can care less about what an internet troll does lol.

In west africa ethnicity/tribe trumps nationality because all of the nations were created by white people for the most part.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Liberia was literally created by white americans and mulattos lol why yall pay that idiot attention is beyond me.

My tribe predates liberia and is found in muliple countries so I can care less about what an internet troll does lol.

In west africa ethnicity/tribe trumps nationality because all of the nations were created by white people for the most part.
You're killing my high bruh

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
This was a question I was pondering the other day.

In all likelihood if I get married or have children it'll be with an AA woman. I already don't speak my people's language and have pretty much fully assimilated into western society. Sure, my kids will be able to point out somewhere on a map and say this is specifically where my ancestors came from...but they'll largely identify with America.

It's something I noticed with my nephews.

Sure there are African communities within the USA but it's a small drop of water in comparison. So at some point won't both communities eventually overlap? :jbhmm:
Eventually they become AA about a generation or two into being on american soil.

To me, being AA is more of a mindset/culture than it is an ethnicity because you have so many black people that have migrated here over the years. I was born aborad and consider myself haitian snce i was born and raised there and even when i moved to the U.S. I confined myself to the haitian cummunity in the states. But my cousins who were born here to two haitian parents also consider themselves haitian. Not that i dont consider them haitian but there is a difference

Some, depending on parenting and friends they grew up around, grow up with the "typical" AA mindset in terms of how they view life as a whole and interpret things life throws at them. Thats the reason why, in my opinion, they are not (i guess) as haitian as me.

Like i was in Miami this weekend for a funeral and i was listening to some of the younger cats talk (teenagers) and to me while they rep Haiti because they have parents and/or grandparents from there they are pretty much AA in my view.

I also notice that in dating haitian women that were born here vs those born in Haiti. The ones who grew up here are too americanized for me to really consider them haitian. I view them as AA chicks who speak kreyol and eat haitian food. Their mentality, demeanor, "swagger" is all AA to me

Last edited:

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
You'll NEVER be AA unless you have ancestry in the American South pre-Jim crow. Because if you don't you do not share the same slave descendant heritage/history with other AAs which many AAs carry that trauma (scientifically proven). Its even more silly to say AA is more of a culture than ethnicity.

People need to get over it already.

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Eventually they become AA about a generation or two into being on american soil.

To me, being AA is more of a mindset/culture than it is an ethnicity because you have so many black people that have migrated here over the years. I was born aborad and consider myself haitian but my cousins who were born here to two haitian parents also consider themselves haitian. Not that i dont consider them haitian but there is a difference

Some, depending on parenting grow up with the "typical" AA mindset in terms of how they view life as a whole and interpret things life throws at them. Thats the reason why, in my opinion, they are not (i guess) as haitian as me.

Like i was in Miami this weekend for a funeral and i was listening to some of the younger cats talk (teenagers) and to me while they rep Haiti because they have parents and/or grandparents from there they are pretty much AA in my view.

I also notice that in dating haitian women that were born here vs those born in Haiti. The ones who grew up here are too americanized for me to really consider them haitian. I view them as AA chicks who speak kreyol and eat haitian food. Their mentality, demeanor, "swagger" is all AA to me
I read your posts before, and to me, you are just a small town guy!

Things you call AA, is just really a city way of being. Haiti, and other countries on the islands, are small in population, and they remind me of small southern towns. Everything I read about island people(and experienced), and even Africans, sound like country people shyt to me. When I used to go down south every summer, it would be the same shyt, and is why i can't live in a small town, I was raised in a big city so all that small town shyt is too crippling for me. I don't need a major city to live in, but the metro has to have at least a million people in it.

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You'll NEVER be AA unless you have ancestry in the American South pre-Jim crow. Because if you don't you do not share the same slave descendant heritage/history with other AAs which many AAs carry that trauma (scientifically proven). Its even more silly to say AA is more of a culture than ethnicity.

People need to get over it already.
That's partly true, west Indians still had to go through some tought times as well, and because they just mingled with each other, the ptsd might be even worse for them. At least we had a big country to travel around, they were on small islands, and had no way to retreat from the stress, so that means they are harboring A LOT of stress. i think that's why they are very religious, and have a need to be seen as high class.

I think they still have a connection to us, we aren't that different. The same for latins, besides mexicans. Now Africans are a different story!

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
I read your posts before, and to me, you are just a small town guy!

Things you call AA, is just really a city way of being. Haiti, and other countries on the islands, are small in population, and they remind me of small southern towns. Everything I read about island people(and experienced), and even Africans, sound like country people shyt to me. When I used to go down south every summer, it would be the same shyt, and is why i can't live in a small town, I was raised in a big city so all that small town shyt is too crippling for me. I don't need a major city to live in, but the metro has to have at least a million people in it.
You are wrong.

I live and date Women from the South. I also date women from African countries and the islands and also Central America. Completely different mindsets.

You're right in one thing big city people are different too in thier own way. Ive dated many new yorkers before. But your assessment of island people being like southern is way off

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
That's partly true, west Indians still had to go through some tought times as well, and because they just mingled with each other, the ptsd might be even worse for them. At least we had a big country to travel around, they were on small islands, and had no way to retreat from the stress, so that means they are harboring A LOT of stress. i think that's why they are very religious, and have a need to be seen as high class.

I don't know how this post even addresses my post. And your argument about Caribbean PTSD being worse only builds the argument in the post you quoted.

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You are wrong.

I live and date Women from the South. I also date women from African countries and the islands and also Central America. Completely different mindsets.

You're right in one thing big city people are different too in thier own way. Ive dated many new yorkers before. But your assessment of island people being like southern is way off
Where were these women from?

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't know how this post even addresses my post. And your argument about Caribbean PTSD being worse only builds the argument in the post you quoted.
I was trying to say they do have the same trauma we have, but it may be worse because of the isolation.

We aren't that different so, I can see some mixing in with us, and identifying.

Daps
Only way that would happen is If they all married AAs, which isn't going to happen. I predict a lot of intermarriage between the two groups but not to such an extent that Africans become completely absorbed into the AA gene pool.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
I was trying to say they do have the same trauma we have, but it may be worse because of the isolation.

We aren't that different so, I can see some mixing in with us, and identifying.
The main point wasn't even about PTSD, but instead African and Caribbean blacks do not share the same American south slave history as African-Americans. Saying so would just be living in denial. The trauma was only brought up because it maybe different in how it impacted the two populations.