At some point won't African immigrants just become AA?

Actually6Foot3

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
BKNY
My personal definition of "African American" is someone who is the descendent of African slaves brought directly to the United States. As a first generation person of west Indian descent I consider myself Black American/Caribbean American simply due to my upbringing. I make the distinguishment by difference in culture.

That said all these terms are retarded and we should just be "American" plain and simple. whites Americans don't have to be European American?

sunny80

All Star
Daps
Africans will never be AAs. Black American/AA is an ethnic group composed of people who descended from slaves brought to the US. AAs have their own distinct culture and history. Some are admixed. AAs are the most similar to black Caribbean & West Indians because they all share a history that involves the slave trade. Assimilating into AA culture will not make you AA. Likewise assimilating into Jamaican culture will not make you Jamaican. These are ethnic groups. You can't change your ethnic group.

Last edited:

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
Still cant believe this what black folks who are bored at home talk about on the net lol. Instead of talking about money, education, success, sports, and woman these dudes is talking about how Africa hurt their feelings lol. I have an imaginary idea of how you bozos look in real life. Middle of the scalp going bald I'm assuming?

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Africans will never be AAs. Black American/AA is an ethnic group composed of people who descended from slaves brought to the US. AAs have their own distinct culture and history. Some are admixed. AAs are the most similar to black Caribbean & West Indians because they all share a history that involves the salve trade. Assimilating into AA culture will not make you AA. Likewise assimilating into Jamaican culture will not make you Jamaican. These are ethnic groups. You can't change your ethnic group.
I think the op is talking about his hypothetical kids since he will prolly marry an AA woman

badtguy

Superstar
Daps
Africans will never be AAs. Black American/AA is an ethnic group composed of people who descended from slaves brought to the US. AAs have their own distinct culture and history. Some are admixed. AAs are the most similar to black Caribbean & West Indians because they all share a history that involves the salve trade. Assimilating into AA culture will not make you AA. Likewise assimilating into Jamaican culture will not make you Jamaican. These are ethnic groups. You can't change your ethnic group.

I don't agree or disagree but the last part of your Statement is wrong. Whites, Chinese and indians have assimilated into jamaican culture. And they are indeed seen as jamaicans

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

sunny80

All Star
Daps
I don't agree or disagree but the last part of your Statement is wrong. Whites, Chinese and indians have assimilated into jamaican culture. And they are indeed seen as jamaicans

Jamaica is also a country & nation so yes there are Jamaicans of many different races, but they are not black Jamaicans and will never be. Black Jamaicans have a rich history and they have their own ethnic group. You can change nationalities, but not your ethnic group.

badtguy

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol: you're the one that said jamaican is an ethnic group. And yes you can the Priddy family of west africa is originally jamaican, in Sierraleone they are creole, in nigeria they are yoruba, in Ghana they are seen as Ga.

people in those communities accept them as such.

In some instances they have ghanaian, nigerian, and English names.
Jamaica is also a country so yes there are Jamaicans of many different races, but they are not black Jamaicans and will never be.

Fandroid

Banned
Daps
You have Chinese/Japanese/Korean Americans who are multiple generations deep in the country, as far back as the early 19th century and are still Chinese/Japanese/Korean and have their culture intact..

Fandroid

Banned
Daps
My Carribbean grandparents moved to Brooklyn in the 1970s.

And my family is still 98% Carribbean.. Nothing's been lost. Even my 30 year old uncles and aunts married inside. Our ethnicity is strong. Helps that the neighborhood they're in is also heavily carribbean.

But I do also have a couple (just a couple) nieces and nephews that are half AA...

Going to an AA in-law's place for a baby shower was the first time seeing the ethnicity clash.

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My Carribbean grandparents moved to Brooklyn in the 1970s.

And my family is still 98% Carribbean.. Nothing's been lost. Even my 30 year old uncles and aunts married inside. Our ethnicity is strong. Helps that the neighborhood they're in is also heavily carribbean.

But I do also have a couple (just a couple) nieces and nephews that are half AA...

Going to an AA in-law's place for a baby shower was the first time seeing the ethnicity clash.
What happened?