At some point won't African immigrants just become AA?

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
Looking at people driving cabs is an ignorant way of judging a group people. At the end of the day Nigerian-Americans and many African immigrants in America have high overall average incomes per household.

I disagree. Let's not look at the economic situation through the lens of limited group of people especially Nigerians. That seems to be the go to move in many arguments I see is to point out a few rich Nigerians in Houston or any other part of America as representative of the African immigration population. DC/MD/VA has the largest African community in America and more representative of the African immigration in the US due the array of various nationalities represented (Cameroonians, Ethiopians, Nigerians, Sierra Leoneans, Libearians) . A lot of them are struggling.

Then there are numbers, The median household income for African immigrants is $43,000 that is $9,000 less than the $52,000 of the median American household income despite having almost the same educational attainment as the native born US population. Let's say most of the households are two-parent, that's $21,500 per parent. That's not high at all.

Chapter 1: Statistical Portrait of the U.S. Black Immigrant Population

Last edited:

Rhapscallion Démone

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
WAYment, So wouldn't that technically make us Haitians and Jamaicans AA since we're descendants of the trans-Atlantic slave trade also?

:patrice:

I had a brainfart and didn't even think about that before....

ALOT of Blacks in NO and the state Louisiana have Haitian heritage....

There's also the Gullah people of SC who still have held on to African heritage..

There's so many sub-groups of AA's in the US and sub-cultures who have held on to Lineage...What does that make them?

This is tricky....

Afro-Jamaican - Wikipedia

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
I disagree. Let's not look at the economic situation through the lens of limited group of people especially Nigerians. That seems to be the go to move in many arguments I see is to point out a few rich Nigerians in Houston or any other part of America as representative of the African immigration population. DC/MD/VA is the largest African community in America and more representative of the African immigration in the US due the array of various nationalities represented. A lot of them are struggling.

Then there are numbers, The median household income for African immigrants is $43,000 that is $9,000 less than the $52,000 of the median American household income despite having almost the same educational attainment as the native born US population.

Chapter 1: Statistical Portrait of the U.S. Black Immigrant Population

Not a fair comparison because by Native American you are comparing them to White Americans who own most of the wealth and live by a systematic racist system.

If you want to make a comparison to Native Americans, than I would say all black immigrants are struggling since we are all black.

Quasi

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Africa, center of the world.
this argument is redundant af, brehs.

Notorious BIG = Jamaican
Joey Badass = Jamaican/St Lucian
Rihanna = BarBAD:takedat:ian
Kodak Black = I forget (EDIT: Haitian)
Taxstone = Honduran

To keep it short, a lot of the Black people we consider to be American weren't even born there. But they grew up there, brought something to the culture while still facing the same pressures and circumstances :yeshrug: It's not a distinction worth stressing about too much, but I still agree that there is a difference in the way the heritages and histories of either group is viewed

Last edited:

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
Not a fair comparison because by Native American you are comparing them to White Americans who own most of the wealth and live by a systematic racist system.

If you want to make a comparison to Native Americans, than I would say all black immigrants are struggling since we are all black.

The data is comparing to American-born population median household income that includes Hispanic, Asian, White, Black born in the United States not just white people. I think if you compared the African household income to just white Americans, you would see a greater disparity which eventually goes back to my point dispelling the myth of somehow this wealthy African immigrant class who control wealth back in their home countries immigrating to the US permanently.

Again, overwhelming majority of Africans who immigrate to the US and stay here permanently do not own a lot back home or else they would not live here permanently because the true wealthy Africans are living in Africa making money hand over fist and send their wives here to give birth or send their children here for an education but they do not stay in the US permanently to make a living.

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
WAYment, So wouldn't that technically make us Haitians and Jamaicans AA since we're descendants of the trans-Atlantic slave trade also?

I had a brainfart and didn't even think about that before....

ALOT of Blacks in NO and the state Louisiana have Haitian heritage....

There's also the Gullah people of SC who still have held on to African heritage..

There's so many sub-groups of AA's in the US and sub-cultures who have held on to Lineage...What does that make them?

This is tricky....

Nope still doesn't apply :mjgrin:

And trying to separate Louisianan's and Gullah's from AA's to back the point doesn't work either.

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
The data is comparing to American-born population median household income that includes Hispanic, Asian, White, Black born in the United States not just white people. I think if you compared the African household income to just white Americans, you would see a greater disparity which eventually goes back to my point dispelling the myth of some how this wealthy African immigrant class who control wealth back in their home countries immigration to the US.

Again, overwhelming majority of Africans who immigrate to the US and stay here permanently do not own a lot back home or else they would not live here permanently because the true wealthy Africans are living in Africa making money hand over fists and send their wives here to give birth or send their children here for an education but they do not stay in the US permanently to make a living.

I know I said white people because they are the majority since we are comparing Native American. I understand what you are saying. Here in NYC many Africans live in the hood. But Im not going to classify that alone as their achievement
this argument is redundant af, brehs.

Notorious BIG = Jamaican
Joey Badass = Jamaican/St Lucian
Rihanna = BarBAD:takedat:ian
Kodak Black = I forget

To keep it short, a lot of the Black people we consider to be American weren't even born there. But they grew up there, brought something to the culture while still facing the same pressures and circumstances :yeshrug: It's not a distinction worth stressing about too much, but I still agree that there is a difference in the way the heritages and histories of either group is viewed

You don't know Kodak Black is Haitian?

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Nope still doesn't apply :mjgrin:

And trying to separate Louisianan's and Gullah's from AA's to back the point doesn't work either.
There are Louisiana blacks who are literally descendants of Haitian people. Kreyol-speaking French-speaking Haitians. It was worth a shot...

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika

No, because you have your own countries and independence. We don't have that, we're still a nation under occupation, and frankly our national consciousness as a people is extremely low.

Quasi

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Africa, center of the world.
I know I said white people because they are the majority since we are comparing Native American. I understand what you are saying. Here in NYC many Africans live in the hood. But Im not going to classify that alone as their achievement

You don't know Kodak Black is Haitian?
I don't follow him as much as I do the others.. was just typing off the cuff and thought to include him as well

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
There are Louisiana blacks who are literally descendants of Haitian people. Kreyol-speaking French-speaking Haitians. It was worth a shot...
I'm aware. Most slaves under French Louisiana were straight from Africa and had already developed their own kreyol before much of the Haitian migration. Haitians coming in were more of a reinforcement of culture that was already present than anything.