Asus Rog Ally |OT| Another competitor enters the arena

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Well

XCOM 2 looks gorgeous on this screen at 1080p. :wow:

But it's still an unoptimized mess. Can't go above 30 and even dropping the resolution only gets you 50 at the most :snoop:

Gonna try some more games today.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Well

XCOM 2 looks gorgeous on this screen at 1080p. :wow:

But it's still an unoptimized mess. Can't go above 30 and even dropping the resolution only gets you 50 at the most :snoop:

Gonna try some more games today.
You are further along than I am. I haven't even played a game yet. Too busy downloading them still. Taking it to work to finish downloading everything. Hell, I still have windows updates to do. :russ:

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
Not copping I’ll let y’all be the beta testers.. I learned my lesson. From the psvr2
What don't you like about your PSVR2. That should be well matured hardware. My Ally experience is like when I first got my Steam Deck a year ago, "Tedious". In 6 months I predict things will get more streamlines and the Ally will become the more popular PC based handheld. No need to rush out and get one.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
I been hearing some complaints about this and it's more likely due to not being optimized and we shouldn't be surprised it's Windows.

That is what make the Steam Deck so good. Optimization and its own OS
It's a full ass version of windows. Why asus didn't strip some stuff out is beyond me. Granted, there are always going to be deficiencies from using Windows and over time, I assume that they will work on it.

On the flip side, it's windows. You should be able to navigate fairly well through it and personally, I've not seen any issues yet. The hardware is solid, just need to get the software right.

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
It's a full ass version of windows. Why asus didn't strip some stuff out is beyond me. Granted, there are always going to be deficiencies from using Windows and over time, I assume that they will work on it.

On the flip side, it's windows. You should be able to navigate fairly well through it and personally, I've not seen any issues yet. The hardware is solid, just need to get the software right.

Exactly but it probably was a quick release. I think this will be the downfall of the first version. Hopefully next version release will be a vanilla OS. Sometimes power and graphics is not everything.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
There are folks low key selling their Decks for this handheld :huhldup: . That's like moving out of your apartment and moving to the same exact apartment but with a big screen TV. The specs resemble the Deck and honestly slightly lower than the Deck:

Like I get it, Windows>>>Linux but gaming wise Windows holding the games back from potential. Folks talk about tinkering with the Deck, but tinkering to unholy hell with the Ally. At first, I wanted to cop due to being minimalist game, but I'm not getting conned. People who bought this, enjoy...but between the bumper issues, battery life being dog shyt, and Windows nonsense I'll stick with the Deck for now unless the Ally drops in price :francis:

Last edited:

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
I been hearing some complaints about this and it's more likely due to not being optimized and we shouldn't be surprised it's Windows.

That is what make the Steam Deck so good. Optimization and its own OS

Man when AMD and Steam OS cross paths:

rzX.gif

shyt was magical. The fact that Linux not being a gestapo in the way of pure gaming just gives me biblical goosebumps. It just hits so different breh.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
Now that all the updates and reboots are over, I'm enjoying it. The screen, weight, fan noise, and speakers are all a noticeable upgrade over my Steam Deck. The carry case is pure trash. Do not buy it. I'm returning mine. You can hear the rear macro buttons clicking when you hold the unit in the case.

I'm predicting Best Buy will have some good deals on Open-Box Ally's in a week or so. I definitely see some people returning their units based on the out-of-the-box experience. Way too many updates and reboots. Most people will probably do one round of Windows/Bios/Armory Crate updates and started installing games. Of course they are going to run into stability issues. There's actually 3 rounds of Windows updates, 2 bios updates, and 2 Armory Crate updates. Expect a minimum of 4 reboots. Once you survive that it's quite a nice handheld.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Now that all the updates and reboots are over, I'm enjoying it. The screen, weight, fan noise, and speakers are all a noticeable upgrade over my Steam Deck. The carry case is pure trash. Do not buy it. I'm returning mine. You can hear the rear macro buttons clicking when you hold the unit in the case.

I'm predicting Best Buy will have some good deals on Open-Box Ally's in a week or so. I definitely see some people returning their units based on the out-of-the-box experience. Way too many updates and reboots. Most people will probably do one round of Windows/Bios/Armory Crate updates and started installing games. Of course they are going to run into stability issues. There's actually 3 rounds of Windows updates, 2 bios updates, and 2 Armory Crate updates. Expect a minimum of 4 reboots. Once you survive that it's quite a nice handheld.

Thank the lord I'm not working at Best Buy to deal with that foolishness with impatient customers and grannies that thought the console was a fancy Nintendo Switch :francis:

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Testing the more problematic games on this.

Midnight Suns will barely start up until you allot 8GB to GPU memory in Amory Crate :russ:

When you do though, it looks and runs better than it does on the Deck. You can get 30-40 on high at 1080 depending on which settings you choose.