Asus Rog Ally |OT| Another competitor enters the arena

Artificial Intelligence

Not Allen Iverson
Daps
I see best buy is selling them cheap (open box) thinking about getting one .. it’s either this or an oled modded switch.. or I could wait for the win gpd mini :banderas:

Fctftl

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I see best buy is selling them cheap (open box) thinking about getting one .. it’s either this or an oled modded switch.. or I could wait for the win gpd mini :banderas:
Lenovo is throwing their hat in the ring too. Leaks show it will allegedly(not 100 percent confirmed) be shown on the first and then launch in October. Called the Lenovo Legion Go

lenovo-legion-go-2.jpg

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
Best Buy is listing some open box models that are "Like New" for $615. I bought a Galaxy Z Fold 4 Open Box and it truly in "Like New" condition. When the Best Buy Preorders opened, they offered Best Buy Credit Card holders 10% off new ones ($629.99). If you plan to use an SD Card, I would recommend just waiting. The SD Card overheating issue is a legit design flaw and may be fixed in future production runs, but any open-box model is guaranteed to have a non-thermal insulated SD card reader. If you plan to forego using an SD card and just upgrade the SSD, then buy open-box.

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
So my Ally Z1 Extreme fried itself. I plugged it in and got white smoke coming out the exhaust. LOL. Anyone that deals with electronics or have built PCs before knows what that means. I didn't get the Geeksquad coverage because it comes with a 3 or 4 year warranty. I went to the Asus website, but the serial number in and they sent me to Geeksquad anyway. I took it up there they packaged it up and sent it off and I got it back a week later. They installed a new motherboard. It runs a whole lot cooler than before I sent it off. According to reddit there have been motherboard revisions. I couldn't confirm that anywhere else, but there does seem to be a difference. It's also rumored that they Asus started installing some sort of copper heatshield near the SD card port. Again I can't confirm that but I've had no issues since I got mine back.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
So my Ally Z1 Extreme fried itself. I plugged it in and got white smoke coming out the exhaust. LOL. Anyone that deals with electronics or have built PCs before knows what that means. I didn't get the Geeksquad coverage because it comes with a 3 or 4 year warranty. I went to the Asus website, but the serial number in and they sent me to Geeksquad anyway. I took it up there they packaged it up and sent it off and I got it back a week later. They installed a new motherboard. It runs a whole lot cooler than before I sent it off. According to reddit there have been motherboard revisions. I couldn't confirm that anywhere else, but there does seem to be a difference. It's also rumored that they Asus started installing some sort of copper heatshield near the SD card port. Again I can't confirm that but I've had no issues since I got mine back.
Breh....You broke the cardinal rule of owning consumers electronics, "Never let the smoke out of the product. You have to keep and contain all that smoke within the unit."

:lolbron:

Glad to hear you got it fixed in a timely matter. My original Steam Deck was defective out of the box, and it took Valve 2 weeks get me a replacement.

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Yes. Got a open box z1 extreme model for under 500!
nIce, I bought one last night from Bestbuy for the same price. I did it just on time because when I woke up today it's back to the regular price. I have a gaming laptop, but sometimes I just want to game around my home, so the use case for this should be good.

Phillyrider807

My Soundtrack is the second “Carter”
Daps
Reppin
215 Uptown!
They announced a announcement wtf lol.

But i highly doubt this is the actual second gen version. More likely this is the mid gen refresh.

Fixes sd card issues/Bigger battery/Color options. Thats your ROG Ally 2024 edition.

The ROG Ally 2 will be sometime next year.

Actually here's the details!

Last edited: