ASUS announces their own handheld pc

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Man... This shyt is wack. We need a breakthrough in battery tech, because fukk all paying $600 for 2 hour battery.

Like why we still having the same ass battery struggle for damn near 20 years.
It’s physics.

Nothing can really be done unless we find a whole new source of energy or something.

Only so much energy can be held is a small stable package.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Man... This shyt is wack. We need a breakthrough in battery tech, because fukk all paying $600 for 2 hour battery.

Like why we still having the same ass battery struggle for damn near 20 years.
I'm not usually one that zeroes in on an individual flaw to sink my whole thought process but this battery is disappointing. I already have a gaming pc so I don't need to dock for a new one. This is to be exclusively portable for me and they were saying that playing some games may kill the battery in an hour. That shyt is wild.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
The most important thing for a handheld is portability so SD wins this by a WIDE margin...

Price, better battery life and it doesn't gimp the CPU...

Because of the wonders of Linux. Once Gabe conned the industry into seeing Proton's potential, it was a wrap. You have a matrix train shelf of different versions of Linux all for free 99 and the fact that they don't feel like bloat is amazing in itself. Windows feel like a oversized tumor holding shyt back, especially gaming. Then you got to factor in denuvo that's in most video games, the shyt becomes a frustrating slog of events.

This is why Windows based handhelds are in a weird place, because they reek of those old palm OS handhelds that couldn't go beyond the limitations, including the software.

What makes the Steam Deck amazing is the fact that you can do almost everything on the machine, and the customization can give you tons of mileage with the games.

You want 60fps, lower the settings or hook that baby up because lmao battery life.

You want to preserve the battery, Steam OS gotcha with a locked 30FPS option.

The only reason why I would get a Ally is to replace my laptop since I can just hook up a KB/M to a mini hub and keep it Gucci :yeshrug:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
The most important thing for a handheld is portability so SD wins this by a WIDE margin...

Where you be at that you don’t have access to electricity?

Other than going maybe camping or something, i don’t get the gripes about battery life.

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
Because of the wonders of Linux. Once Gabe conned the industry into seeing Proton's potential, it was a wrap. You have a matrix train shelf of different versions of Linux all for free 99 and the fact that they don't feel like bloat is amazing in itself. Windows feel like a oversized tumor holding shyt back, especially gaming. Then you got to factor in denuvo that's in most video games, the shyt becomes a frustrating slog of events.

This is why Windows based handhelds are in a weird place, because they reek of those old palm OS handhelds that couldn't go beyond the limitations, including the software.

What makes the Steam Deck amazing is the fact that you can do almost everything on the machine, and the customization can give you tons of mileage with the games.

You want 60fps, lower the settings or hook that baby up because lmao battery life.

You want to preserve the battery, Steam OS gotcha with a locked 30FPS option.

The only reason why I would get a Ally is to replace my laptop since I can just hook up a KB/M to a mini hub and keep it Gucci :yeshrug:
For PC gaming Linux is currently a hindrance, not an advantage. Now if games start being created natively for Linux, it will be the opposite, but right now PC gaming lives in a Windows world. Most of these Steam Deck focused YouTube channels' content consist mainly of updates, fixes, and work arounds for stuff that just works natively in Windows. The windows gaming community focuses on mods and hacks while the Linux gaming community is still trying to get games to work. I'm not defending Windows, as it's bloated trash, that Microsoft is putting fewer and fewer resources into, yet it's the OS the industry is built around. How many Windows crashes and random reboots would you have to deal with on an Ally to equal the amount of time the average Steam Deck owner spends on YouTube, Reddit, and Protondb researching game compatibility? Hopefully, Steam Deck sells like gangbusters and there is a huge industry shift toward Linux, but we couldn't be farther away from that now.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4

Yup
Remember how many batteries you had to go through with game gear?

Steam deck does everything I need in a portalbe

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
Seems like people are saying the most likely reason for the Ally's poor efficiency at 10 watts TDP, is that its running 8 CPU core instead of the 4 CPU cores on the Steam Deck. I wonder if Asus will disable 4 cores in Silent Mode to increase efficiency. I'm clearly talking above my paygrade, but I'm sure someone here can school me.