Ask a breh traveling thru Colombia 🇨🇴 & Panama 🇵🇦 anything

Noriega

Simps R Us
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside,Chicago
How much Spanish do I need to be able to speak to get by in Panama? Not moving or anything, just for vacation.
At least know how to order food at a restaurant to avoid the awkward back and forth with the waitress. Same thing with knowing what the cashier at the grocery store is going ask you when you check out.
Panama City has alot of bilingual speakers, mostly any one with a college degree speaks English because it’s mandatory at the university level. If you go into the countryside (highly recommend), no one speaks English

Basically this..know how to order food, talk to cashier and Uber/taxi drivers. Plus if you can halfway hold a conversation you’ll eat with local women

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
May be heading out to Panama for a few months. I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade, but what if an expat dies over there, without ever intending to be buried over there.

I assume it could cost thousands to get their remains back to the US. Is there some type of insurance expats carry, to get their remains back to the states just in case? A person just visiting overseas may want to consider this too. For example, Shanquilla Robinson.

I'll follow up with the fun questions, like women, pensionado benefites, etc... later.

Diyhai

En Causa Sui
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
May be heading out to Panama for a few months. I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade, but what if an expat dies over there, without ever intending to be buried over there.

I assume it could cost thousands to get their remains back to the US. Is there some type of insurance expats carry, to get their remains back to the states just in case? A person just visiting overseas may want to consider this too. For example, Shanquilla Robinson.

I'll follow up with the fun questions, like women, pensionado benefites, etc... later.
dude just got murdered in broad daylight in cartagena and his family struggling to get his body back

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
dude just got murdered in broad daylight in cartagena and his family struggling to get his body back
I remember this happened around two years ago to a brother about the same age. He was from the Atlanta metro. I think he was wearing gold items too. I heard that brother didn't even offer any resistance, and they still killed him. He was hooking up with a girl he met from over there, from what I read. She may have set him up. Anyway, I think he deposited about $200,000 in a bank over there, and was about to buy a property. He had filmed himself at the bank on youtube, I think for his own safety. But it doesn't seem like it made a difference, if not made it worst. This may have happened in Cartagena as well. That's why I'm considering Panama over Columbia, at least Cartagena.

that guy

Superstar
Daps
I remember this happened around two years ago to a brother about the same age. He was from the Atlanta metro. I think he was wearing gold items too. I heard that brother didn't even offer any resistance, and they still killed him. He was there to hook up with a girl he met from over there, from what I read. She may have set him up. Anyway, I think he deposited about $200,000 in a bank over there, and was about to buy a property. He had filmed himself at the bank on youtube, I think for his own safety. But it doesn't seem like it made a difference, if not made it worst. This may have happened in Cartagena as well. That's why I'm considering Panama over Columbia, at least Cartagena.
That’s was in Barranquilla and it wasn’t over the chain. RIP to the man but he was doing the most reckless shyt ever. First of all, he tried to open up a restaurant in one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Colombia. He didn’t do any research on the area. Then, he paid $200k cash which is like walking around the worst hoods in Chicago with $1 million in a briefcase. The worst part all of it is he didn’t know any Spanish whatsoever :snoop:

He said at one point that the restaurant was already being occupied and after he purchased it was going to kick out the current tenants so that he could open his spot there. You’re talking about people’s lively hoods here. This ain’t America. I have never seen somebody move that reckless in my life.

DeeezNuts

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Manhattan, NY

aint no shine worth me loosing my life... like wtf... even out here in the NY area....if iget caught slipping...then it is what it is...got insurance on my shyt... fukk was son thinking... sorry for his loss but damn... muhfukkaz never learn... I remember when i was living in Medellin years ago... seen a muhfukka with some shine on him and son was showing out...i stepped to son on some chill shyt... told him this aint the place for that shine...and he wasnt trying hear that shyt...i stepped off....and sure enough...like 10-15 mins later... heard a rawkus and it was son...he was shot and they took his chain, watch...all that

that guy

Superstar
Daps
I remember this happened around two years ago to a brother about the same age. He was from the Atlanta metro. I think he was wearing gold items too. I heard that brother didn't even offer any resistance, and they still killed him. He was hooking up with a girl he met from over there, from what I read. She may have set him up. Anyway, I think he deposited about $200,000 in a bank over there, and was about to buy a property. He had filmed himself at the bank on youtube, I think for his own safety. But it doesn't seem like it made a difference, if not made it worst. This may have happened in Cartagena as well. That's why I'm considering Panama over Columbia, at least Cartagena.
The neighborhood he tried to open up the restaurant in was so bad that even Colombians that I know wouldn’t even go there :snoop:

Noriega

Simps R Us
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside,Chicago
I know Panama got a lot of baddies.
Man :whew: and it don’t even be when you hit the bars or clubs. Women just going about they day, straight dime status

Could be a shorty stocking shelves at the bodega or a lobby receptionist.

Fat ass, slim waist, smooth brown skin rocking braids or curly Afro :noah: friendly too and will try to speak broken English with you

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
Man :whew: and it don’t even be when you hit the bars or clubs. Women just going about they day, straight dime status

Could be a shorty stocking shelves at the bodega or a lobby receptionist.

Fat ass, slim waist, smooth brown skin rocking braids or curly Afro :noah: friendly too and will try to speak broken English with you
What city in Panama did you see this?

Laidbackman

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL, but rasied in DMV
The neighborhood he tried to open up the restaurant in was so bad that even Colombians that I know wouldn’t even go there :snoop:
I wouldn't buy any property right now in a 3rd World country period, without extreme research. Anyway, I kinda thought there was more to the story with this brother. But nonetheless, that's another city in Columbia to stay clear of.

I assume his family was able to get his remains back to the states, since he was in the money. But then again, it probably took awhile. This happens a lot right here in the States, concerning family members trying to get their deceased loved ones remains back home from different parts of the country, when there's no plans left by the deceased.

Not long ago, a long time friend of the family moved from the DMV to Cali. He died four months later from lung cancer, and it took about a month to get his remains back home...and he had money. He was a single brother who finally got away from the DMV.

A lot of people who relocate that far, don't think about the money it would cost to get their remains back home, especially a single person trying to find a new place to enjoy life. I guess anybody relocating that far, but not sure if they want that to be their resting place, need to increase their life insurance, so they don't leave the burden on their family.

Last edited:

Diyhai

En Causa Sui
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
ur talking about this