As a nation, Jamaica is the most influential music nation outside of the USA

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I thought so too until I heard these two songs. Mind you pigmeat was in the bronx and performed at the Apollo A LOT in the 60's. I have a big feeling the early rappers were copying him. When it comes to music blacks in the south, Jamaicans, and west africans got the music game on lock as far as history.

Hell there are Ray Charles and Marvin Gaye records where do this sort
of "Proto Rap", even the topics are similar like Marvin Gaye's "Ego Trippin".

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
:patrice:

Also with techno music, what came first Detroit or kraftwerk:lupe:

Kraftwerk were doing Electronic music first. It was a stiff type of robotic musical sound, basically early Electro. Detroit is the one who made that type of sound unrobotic (still robotic when compared to house music) by infusing the Disco and Funk and then later Jazzy and Soul elements. That sound of EDM came to be known as Techno.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
youre making good points but I think overall the movement that took place in the 60s/70s is too potent to deny. The British invasion was wild man.

And we couldnt even compete.. Brian Wilson lost his fukking mind trying to keep up with the Beatles :whoa:

The Motown machine were the only ones who commercially went toe to toe with the Beatles/British Invasian in part because they influenced them/it.

Mcartney speaking the truth @ 9:28:blessed:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Japan is the biggest copier of the shyt but they're damn sure not CREATING content.

EDIT: I will say that Japan does help to preserve aspects of hip-hop and electronic/dance music.

yeah, all that Japanese and Korean pop is based on imitations of music from elsewhere.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
True.....

KING TUBBY the father of the REMIX

This is true

SOUNDSYSTEMS the father of TURNTABILISIM

This is false. Disco djing is the father of HipHop turntabilism

DUKE REID and COXSONE DODD the fathers of BATTLING

Nah, that belongs to Jazz

SKA MUSIC the father of the PUNK/SKA/DUB sound

Rock N Roll is the father of Punk but the UK 's take on Punk does have a Ska influence.

RUB A DUB the father of HIP HOP....

Funk and American Jive talking are the fathers of HipHop/Rap

and GANGSTA RAP courtesy of DENNIS ALCAPONE and JOSEY WALES

Gangsta rap, Horror core rap and Shock rap can all be heard in as far back as 1920's blues songs and even earlier "bad man ballads" also known as "Toasts".

Godfather of Gangsta

"In the red-light district of St Louis in 1895, a pimp shot a man dead in an argument over a hat. The ballad telling the story has been recorded by hundreds of bluesmen and jazzers - and even the Clash. It also helped create modern-day rap. Cecil Brown tells the remarkable tale of Stagolee"

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2003/may/09/artsfeatures

7 Songs From Your Grandpa's Day That Would Make Eminem Blush
As they grumble about how rap music is destroying civilization, what they don't mention is that the blues they were listening to in the 30s and 40s could be every bit as violent, sexually explicit and sometimes just downright insane as the worst gangsta rap has to offer. Compared to some of these vintage lyrics the members of N.W.A are levelheaded concerned citizens, and Eminem's a regular damned feminist.

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_1762...at-would-make-eminem-blush.html#ixzz362V7j9li

the foul language:russ:

Last edited:

NvrCMyNut

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Jamaica's influence is the most impressive based on the fact that they never really had the first world priviledge & a huge machine behind them unlike the americans.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Jamaica's influence is the most impressive based on the fact that they never really had a huge machine behind them unlike the americans.

Jamaicans in the UK had a machine behind them, that's how Bob Marley got marketed to the rock crowd but the Jamaicans back home, I agree, didn't get as much of a push.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
But over here its almost like an inside joke that British acts sold Americas product back to them. I watched an extensive documentary interviewing a grip of the industry of the past and the gist of it was "silly white America, cant see the talent under their own nose (black America) so lets get this money".

@ 4:30:snoop:

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
LOOL, :russ: and Kano is one of the good ones. I can still play a lot of songs that were on Home Sweet Home, Kano was always very US influenced and had a more mature feel to his music, it the others with their million animated sound effects that are probably the worse. Its crazy because it used to to gass us up to no end when we were younger.
That shyt was always trash...

I used to laugh at people acting like it was going to pop