As a nation, Jamaica is the most influential music nation outside of the USA

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

its a big part of those areas but only in the Mexican community. Those sounds don't really get absorbed into the Anglo world of the USA. Even Chicano Rock is more non-Mexican sounding than anything native to Mexico's musical legacy.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Chicano Rock docu

South Western Mexican-American music

This is very South Western Mexican American w/ Anglo American infusion

Curioser

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
its a big part of those areas but only in the Mexican community. Those sounds don't really get absorbed into the Anglo world of the USA. Even Chicano Rock is more non-Mexican sounding than anything native to Mexico's musical legacy.
No but Mexican music has an impact on countries throughout Latin America and even Spain. Everybody in the whole Latin America grew up hearing Juan Gabriel, Jose Jose,etc.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
No but Mexican music has an impact on countries throughout Latin America and even Spain. Everybody in the whole Latin America grew up hearing Juan Gabriel, Jose Jose,etc.

I don't doubt that, I just think Brazil has had a more widespread impact on a global scale. Id probably put Mexico in the top 5 for Latin/South America.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I don't want to argue because honestly, I am not an expert by any means on this subject. I do appreciate you both putting out links plus names. That's dope. I just don't see how it discredits Herc, what he did and how he helped spark a culture from his side. Of course he didn't do it himself, on some Moses coming down from a mountain by himself with the 10 Hip Hop commandments, but he certainly deserves the praise (and what little of it he actually gets in the grand scheme of all this)

Im not really trying to discredit Herc. Infact, I give him credit for being aware that his crowd wanted to hear Funky songs and observing that many people in his crowd would start bugging out/dancing during the parts where the singing dropped out and all you heard was the Funky drumming parts. By him noticing that, he helped initiate ONLY GOING TO THE BREAK PARTS. I can't give him credit for discovering the idea ofknowing about the "Break" because Disco DJ's were already doing this, they just didn't dwell on it. Now, I can't five credit to Herc for the art of rapping because we know for a fact that syncopated rhyming to the beat was already being done by Disco DJ's around 1970 and 1971 outside the Bronx. That didn't come into play in the Herc scene to about 1976/1977. To go further back, the syncopated rhyming to a beat had been going on way back since the 1920's/1930's. Songs with true Funk beats were being made pre-HipHop since the 1960's. Herc says he never rapped in the syncopated rhyming form and numerous people that attended his park jams also attest that he didn't. Yet, people keep trying to link the art of rapping to Jamaica through Herc:dwillhuh:

Grandmaster Flash on Herc:

"His style was basically freelance talking"

Kxry3Uc.png