As a nation, Jamaica is the most influential music nation outside of the USA

Curioser

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Cuba has Jamaica beat on historical influence for sure but like I said before, Jamaica has been king of the Carib since the 1960s. Before the 1960's even a country like Trinidad had more impact on popular music than Jamaica.
What keeps Jamaica out of one of the top spots in my humble opinion is the influence is limited to a Reggae and nothing else really. The US has influence spanning several genres as does Cuba. Reggae is a hugely popular art form and deserves the utmost respect but I'd like to see more of a variety to get that top spot.

Personally, I don't get the Brazil influence at all. Influence on what? Who else has adopted there music? It's nice and all but I wouldn't call it influential.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
What keeps Jamaica out of one of the top spots in my humble opinion is the influence is limited to a Reggae and nothing else really. The US has influence spanning several genres as does Cuba. Reggae is a hugely popular art form and deserves the utmost respect but I'd like to see more of a variety to get that top spot.

I see what you mean about the diversity but Reggae is very global and even Dancehall is pretty popular around the world.

Personally, I don't get the Brazil influence at all. Influence on what? Who else has adopted there music? It's nice and all but I wouldn't call it influential.

The Brazil Bossa style is all over pop music and more recently, that Baile Funk and Samba has made an impact in the Electronica world.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I just also realized why can't anyone name crews or a bunch of artists who was rapping
Before rap in the states if it started there?. We can name crews and rappers before a record was released.

The whole "rapping started in jamaica" stems from people thinking Herc actually flowed like a rapper and that Jamaican toasting is the root of rapping. Most people aren't aware that Jamaicans picked that up (toasting) from Black American radio Djs. The funny thing about that is Herc never claimed he rapped. He actually claims that Melle Mel is the first person he heard rap. For the record,here is King Stitt doing his toasting in the 1960's. As you can hear, this is very freelance and not like american rapping

As far as djing, I never heard of any Jamaican DJ doing backspins, cutting, blends, scratches, chops,etc. All they do is slam records, and literally start the record over. I'm not dissing them because they do those things well but that is nothing like turntablism that we do in the states. These things should be mentioned when people say Jamaica was the home of the creation of hip hop.

I don't how anyone could look at the sound system turntable operators and think HipHop djing came from that considering they didn't even use 2 turntables and a mixer for continuous mixing. That came straight from Disco.

Although Herc was known for letting records play before and beyond their breaks (sometimes, to the consternation of some observers, including the “wack” or undesirable parts, or all the way to the end of a track), perhaps his most lasting legacy is the practice of isolating and extending these breakbeats, transforming the fleeting, funky moments into loops that could last for many minutes. Eventually, by employing two turntables and two copies of a record, Herc developed what he called the “Merry-Go-Round” technique. Dropping the needle back to the beginning of the break on one record just as the other was about to end, and repeating the process ad infinitum, Herc could keep a break — and a crowd of b-boys — breaking for as long as that particular section would work. Though the hip-hop story has enshrined Herc as the first to isolate and repeat breakbeats in this way, it should be noted that Herc’s technical proficiency was never exactly heralded, and so his focus on and liberation of the break should perhaps be understood more as an aesthetic than a technical achievement. Later DJs, such as Grandmaster Flash, influenced by Herc’s model but more virtuosic in their control over the turntables and mixer, would improve on the formula, moving beyond drop-the-needle imprecision by backspinning, scratching, and cutting the records while cueing them via monitoring headphones, thus allowing one to mix breaks more seamlessly into one another and to isolate shorter and shorter sections for repetition.

As an element of style, Herc’s less-than-seamless, stop-and-start approach to selection draws yet another connection to reggae performance practice. Whereas hip-hop DJing — partly related to its roots in disco and the club scene — has since developed in a manner that privileges smooth, beat-matched transitions between tracks, reggae selecting has remained a style more defined by stark cuts and mixes. This is often the case even when a selector is “juggling,” or mixing sequentially, several songs on the same underlying riddim: when a popular song receives requests for a “pull up,” the selector rewinds it, usually suddenly and audibly, and lets it play again. Reggae-style selecting arises partly out of the constraints of using a single turntable

Herc tried to the Disco Djing style but he never caught on. Disco djing is where Herc got the idea to use 2 copies of the same record with 2 turntables. They never did that in Jamaican sound system culture. For example

This video is a good example of the transition from pure Disco Djing to HipHop djing before the scratching and other tricks came in. This is like playing the break parts but with smooth disco djing skills.

This is a great example when it fully came into it's own and added new ideas such as back spinning and scratching

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
To keep it real, Herc had a lot to do with it. This dude,to my knowledge, never clarified the situation when people were saying that. He let the whole Jamaica thing rock. Why is that I wonder:ohhh:

He has actually, noone is paying attention:stopitslime: From Herc's own mouth:

Herc’s quote in the book “Hip Hop: The Illustrated History of Break Dancing, Rap Music, and Graffiti” by Steven Hager (1984) suggests that there is no connection…

Kool Herc: “Jamaican toasting? Naw, naw. No connection there. I couldn’t play reggae in the Bronx. People wouldn’t accept it. The inspiration for rap is James Brown and the album Hustler’s Convention.”

(alot of misinformation in the article below but the herc quote is there)

Qk3pdTp.jpg

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Listen to how these R&b/Bues songs have that flowing, rhyming and syncopated delivery to the steady beats

(1940s)

Louis Jordan was huge in Jamaica for the record. More on his vocal/delivery

FUvM7Wg.jpg

(1950s)

vs

More of a random, freelance delivery in Jamaican Toasting

(1970)

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Of course people over here jack shyt too,

A Brit claim that Brits invented Americana music:mjlol:

Billy Bragg: whisper it … but the British invented Americana

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2013/sep/20/billy-bragg-americana-british-teenagers

“The only blot on the evening was my conversation with Pokey La Farge,” wrote Bragg. “I spotted him backstage about an hour before I went on, walked over, shook him by the hand and suggested we took a moment to sit down and iron out our differences.

“We did speak for about ten minutes, but I was unable to convince him that I was not questioning the originality of American roots music: jazz, blues, ragtime, country, western, rockabilly, soul, r&b and more all come from the USA. My argument is that if Americana as we know it today is music inspired by those roots, then skiffle fits the bill and the British have some claim to be first adopters.

“He continued to rail at this idea, constantly returning to long lists of American roots musicians for whom I have the greatest respect. He seemed unwilling to accept that foreigners might have taken inspiration from those roots and created something new. In Pokey’s eyes, it seems, only Americans can create new music.

“I rejected this nativist argument and suggested we conduct this argument in print, either in the press or online, citing our sources and honing our points. He rejected this and walked away, still accusing me of disrespecting roots artists.

“All I want to do is to get some respect for skiffle in the UK and in the USA. It’s a real shame that Pokey can’t be big enough to accept that we have differing views on this and to agree to disagree without getting personal.”

http://addictedtonoise.com.au/billy-bragg-vs-pokey-lafarge-americana-furore/

he got checked by this white american, americana performer

“You can make the decision for yourself… so when DJ’s, record labels, historians, journalists are telling you what Jazz and Blues are, and when they are telling you what country music is … You can make the decision for yourself, and it could be the most American thing you could do …” Pausing momentarily, he continued, “When you have people like Billy Bragg who are saying that England, through ‘Skiffle music’ invented what we know as modern day Americana, giving false claim to his people, his country and blatantly disregarding the early country, blues, rockabilly, rock n’ roll and soul performers of the United States.” He went on, “It’s important to know your history, because there are people out there literally re-creating it to use it against you!”

http://www.nodepression.com/profile...-billy-bragg-brings-out-the-pugilist-in-pokey

^ the american south has been the most important region/place for modern music in the past two centuries

The Truth!!

....Them UK people can't stop jacking American music:shaq2:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State

Do you know how VAST reggae is?

Dancehall? Easy rock? Ska? The rap-singing movement?

come on man.

Don't play this game

Black music in the USA is DEEPLY enriched because of reggae.