ARTICLE: Black Women Should look for husbands, not extra degrees

MAKAVELI25

the heir apparent
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang
:what: why is finding a significant other, and getting a higher education mutually exclusive? If anything, finding a mate at college is the ideal setting. SMH...discouraging black folks to pursue education, now if that aint demonic I dont know what is.

You're right about this, but the average age of graduating seniors is what, 22? I don't see why even a semi-attractive male with good career options would get married before 30 :manny:

Sandy_Cheeks

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Only black men put up with the "baggage" black women bring.

it's not a matter of black women finding men of other races, it's a matter of whether men of other races will put up with them.

Have you noticed a black girl who dates white boys "tries" to act white?:russ:

Have you asked yourself why????:obama3:

Truth hurts

Here yo ass go:rudy:

EVERYBODY has baggage... black, white, ect. Please don't act brand new sir:aicmon:

The fact of the matter is who are black women supposed to marry if most black men (for those who opt to date within their race solely) are either gay, locked up, or aint worth shyt (has baby mama's, unemployed, uneducated, not driven in life, has a criminal record, ect. )?

The ones who are equally as educated and have equally as much earning potential or more typically date white women... which is fine, but just stating facts.

I give no fukcs about who dates who whether they be black or white. :manny:

No_bammer_weed

✌️ Coli. Wish y’all the best of luck. One
Daps
You know what I don't think they are but one thing I know about a nice amount of women is when they get money they think they are the equivalent of a league dude to them. That's where I think they go wrong. Some start getting money then don't want to settle and that is a big reason reason some women are now :flabbynsick: status but trying to get a max deal(aka marriage). It's a gift and a curse cause women (as a group) are funny to me on this. They want to goto school get money then want a guy with more than them to take care of them but when they see dudes marrying rite aid workers chicks :demonic: . You can do both but know the pros and cons and for fukks sake please take real shyt in college (both genders) not just basket weaving.

this just reads as insecurity tho, breh. You're basically saying that if a woman goes to college, shes likely to gain self-esteem and seek a higher caliber or quality of man. Thats neither here nor there, but I dont think its necessarily a bad thing.

Its crazy, because a lot of you cats (i cant say you specifically, but a lot of niqqas around here) bemoan divorce laws endlessly, when women get broken off in settlements. Those settlements are because a gang of women are unemployed or under-employed and uneducated, and thus are financially dependent on the man. Well, if they have their own career, and possess a degree than one sided settlements are less likely. Now thats a problem! Pick a side.

All I know is this...anyone discouraging my people to better themselves though education is on some ol' bullchit.

SouthernBelle

#Feyonce
Daps
I'll try to tackle this.....

I agree and advocate that black women should spend less time going for the highest degrees and more time looking for husbands or potential long term partners. Many don't want to admit it but a big reason why black women go to school at record rates is because they don't have that safety net of a man to provide for them so they're faced with no other choice but to be independent and get their own shyt. There's nothing wrong with that but it's just the fact of the matter.

But at the same time I think that it's a tad unrealistic and a bit unfair to expect black women to all find Mr.Right in college because assuming that black women are interested in black men they're gonna have a hard time finding a man because of the sheer numbers alone. It's a well known fact that black women outstandingly outnumber black men in institutions of higher education so the odds are already against them to find a man on their level. There are many colleges where black men are a small minority on campus especially at hbcu's where some are 70% female and 30% male. And you also have to factor in compatibility once you meet someone just because you're both college educated doesn't mean you will click.

So I agree with the theory but it's kinda skating on thin ice when you look at it.:manny:

:dahell: when did you get some damn sense? This is probably the best post you have EVER made.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
If y'all read the article, which you didn't, you'd notice that the author is talking about woman in their 30/40/50's who are single

She's pretty much saying that your quality of life is more important than the added loans you'd take out by going back to school.

Often times, the person was both a single parent AND a non-traditional student in terms of their age. An example: The story of a Miami, FL-based attorney with 3 children who is now in over $180,000 in student loan debt. One of my first thoughts was, “Where is the father (should this be plural?) of these three children, and what is he contributing to the upbringing of these girls and the maintenance of the household in which they live?”

I think that, in lieu of finding a husband who can share the burden of raising children, supporting a household, and paying off student loan debt, black women are instead choosing to get a college degree that they hope will provide the financial benefits which a husband usually provides–and the results are not working out the way that these women hoped.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM

EVERYBODY has baggage... black, white, ect. Please don't act brand new sir:aicmon:

The fact of the matter is who are black women supposed to marry if most black men (for those who opt to date within their race solely) are either gay, locked up, or aint worth shyt (has baby mama's, unemployed, uneducated, not driven in life, has a criminal record, ect. )?

The ones who are equally as educated and have equally as much earning potential or more typically date white women... which is fine, but just stating facts.

None of that sewage was fact.

Chris.B

Banned
Daps

If everyone has some baggage like you claim, why do some black women accuse black men of not being able to "handle black women", that's why we decide to date other races of women?.

What makes a black woman separate from other races of women that she needs "handling" :rudy:

Ghostface Trillah

God-level poster
Daps
Reppin
Mt. Olympus
nobody should be telling anyone they need to go get married.Especially in this day and age. Just because your degrees wont keep you warm at night doesn't mean you should force yourself into a bad situation or stop educating yourself.

Whoever wrote this article needs to be telling black women to stop bringing up degrees at every instance cause black women specifically love play the I have a degree card when it comes to dating. I'm not going to say it has nothing to do with nothing but a degree doesn't and shouldn't validate who you are and I don't think they know how stupid they sound saying it to someone who has a degree or is successful without one.

Theraflu

Newly-wed :blessed:
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Power
:dahell:

Did any of you guys actually READ the article, it isn't about why black women in their early 20's didn't find a husband while at college.

It is asking why black women in their late 30's are choosing to acquire student loans and debts going back to school in hopes of bettering themselves, when sometimes it doesn't rather than finding a man to ease their financial burdens. It's basically saying a lot of black women who go back to school in their 30's are wasting their time and it won't benefit them and instead they should find a husband.

No_bammer_weed

✌️ Coli. Wish y’all the best of luck. One
Daps
You're right about this, but the average age of graduating seniors is what, 22? I don't see why even a semi-attractive male with good career options would get married before 30 :manny:

ur taking it too literally tho, I mean for starters you can meet someone in college and not get married until far after post-graduation, but in general college is as good of an atmosphere as any to meet someone of the opposite sex, date, and overall experiment with preferences, leanings, and romantic wants/desires.

This is hella square of me, but I dont care. Some of my greatest moments of the opposite sex have been burning the midnight oil on some study session ish, with someone Im really feeling. :king:

Sandy_Cheeks

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
If y'all read the article, which you didn't, you'd notice that the author is talking about woman in their 30/40/50's who are single

She's pretty much saying that your quality of life is more important than the added loans you'd take out by going back to school.

I think (IMO) that there is a sense of security some get from higher education that they have never experienced in their personal life. I can understand why a woman would continue to get degree after degree in her 30s and 40s only to end up alone if that is all she knows. :manny:

Especially if she believes that she has to do everything by herself and that she cant expect a man to be there for her.

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
nobody should be telling anyone they need to go get married.Especially in this day and age. Just because your degrees wont keep you warm at night doesn't mean you should force yourself into a bad situation or stop educating yourself.

Whoever wrote this article needs to be telling black women to stop bringing up degrees at every instance cause black women specifically love play the I have a degree card when it comes to dating. I'm not going to say it has nothing to do with nothing but a degree doesn't and shouldn't validate who you are and I don't think they know how stupid they sound saying it to someone who has a degree or is successful without one.

Sandy_Cheeks

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
:dahell:

Did any of you guys actually READ the article, it isn't about why black women in their early 20's didn't find a husband while at college.

It is asking why black women in their late 30's are choosing to acquire student loans and debts going back to school in hopes of bettering themselves, when sometimes it doesn't rather than finding a man to ease their financial burdens. It's basically saying a lot of black women who go back to school in their 30's are wasting their time and it won't benefit them and instead they should find s husband.

hell naw we didnt:pachaha:

I went back and read it and low key agree with the lady. However, I will never be against someone going back to school to better themselves if as they see fit. it's all about priorities.