Army Drops Requirement for High School Diploma Amid Recruiting Crisis

Arizax2

All Star
Daps
Don't see why they had that in place from the start. They would have had more people without this limitation. If they wanted to weed out people that are seriously slow then a simple observation in the form of a conversation would have don't the trick.

downtheline

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in the DMV
This is just like the Surge in 2006. Any and everyone was let in.

Also, do not forget about "Project 100,000"

Project 100,000 (also McNamara's 100,000), also known as McNamara's Folly, McNamara's Morons and McNamara's Misfits,[1][2] was a controversial 1960s program by the United States Department of Defense (DoD) to recruit soldiers who would previously have been below military mental or medical standards. Project 100,000 was initiated by Defense Secretary Robert McNamara in October 1966 to meet the escalating manpower requirements of the American government's involvement in the Vietnam War. According to Hamilton Gregory, author of the book McNamara's Folly: The Use of Low-IQ Troops in the Vietnam War, inductees of the project died at higher rates[1] than other Americans serving in Vietnam and following their service had lower incomes and higher rates of divorce than their non-veteran counterparts. The project was ended in December 1971[3] and has been the subject of controversy, especially during the manpower shortages of the Iraq War.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
For a lot of brothers the military gives them an advantage to life that can't be disregarded. More black people, especially men need to get hip to how the military actually operates and use said resources accordingly.

This is true but there ALSO needs to be more mentoring from black veterans towards young black enlistees so that they can be educated on how to avoid the pitfalls and bullshyt that can come with the Army lifestyle

Scaaar

All Star
Daps
army is easily the worst branch to join. No clout like Marines and living worse than AF/Navy/Coast
If it ain't AF or the Navy you're essentially volunteering for the meat grinder. You're a soilder first and whatever your career is second. I was a 1C1 when I was in and there were commander calls during deployments where I just left because I needed my crew rest. I slept in the trailers next to the pilots so a breh was living good compared to the Army and Marine that came there for their R&R and still put in crappy trailers :scust:

Son Goku

Great Sage Equalling Heaven
Daps
@Son Goku which jobs in the Air Force are the most laid back and chill? I'm not trying to get in as a sensor operator anymore or any jobs that require a top secret security clearance.

Also kind of a bad question, because too much will depend on the base, the mission, and the leadership team and coworkers you have there.

As a general rule, aircrew, medical, and personnelist jobs are chill and ops and maintenence jobs are not. But even that isn't completely accurate: NDI jobs are known to have a lot of cute broads and be chill but NDI falls under MX...

A more useful question will be what jobs you're qualified for after medical and ASVAB are taken into account.

All this planning you're doing right now is useless: every job you want might either be unavailable or you might not qualify for.

- Tails

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
After reading the article I don't completely disagree with it. A young person without a high school diploma having to score over a 50 in the ASVAB will do well in the military. They are far from being a dummy.

Slightly off topic but people actually been talking about obesity being a problem for recruiting. This is one of many talks on the subject.

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
I cant lie, I still want to join the AF myself. Im not :flabbysick: either. I should’ve signed up when @semicko82 was talking about it years ago. I only have 1 more year before my window closes, but I don’t know if it’s worth upending my whole life to enlist. On the other hand, I don’t want to think about this years down the line and wonder what if.
Just be honest with yourself. Try writing down your situation and see how the overall picture looks like. Good luck.

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
Also kind of a bad question, because too much will depend on the base, the mission, and the leadership team and coworkers you have there.

As a general rule, aircrew, medical, and personnelist jobs are chill and ops and maintenence jobs are not. But even that isn't completely accurate: NDI jobs are known to have a lot of cute broads and be chill but NDI falls under MX...

A more useful question will be what jobs you're qualified for after medical and ASVAB are taken into account.

All this planning you're doing right now is useless: every job you want might either be unavailable or you might not qualify for.

- Tails
@Son Goku I spoke to my doctor today and she said it is a good possibility I could be off my blood pressure medication by December 2022-January 2023. I feel I can get down to 186 pounds by then as well.

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
military brehs what’s y’all take on this?
People disagreeing with it either wasn't in the military or didn't read the article. People without a HS diploma need to score "at least" a 50 on the ASVAB. A 50 use to be the minimum for the Air Force and a lot of recruits didn't qualify for that very reason. If a young person can score a 50, they are far from being dumb. There are a lot of HS graduates who can't score a that. Hope this adds to your perspective.