Aries Spears HATES Black Nepotism

UpAndComing

Veteran
Daps
:whoa: at "why not?"

I'm all for giving someone a shot through connections as long as they're deserved of it. Don't ask me to put Cousin Marcus on knowing damn well he's a jackass who can't hold a job and has no chance to succeed here on his own merits. :martin:

And before you reply with some variation of "Obviously :comeon:, " I'm only mentioning this because the hiring of unqualified people is unfortunately a big phenomenon on the negative side of nepotism.

Unfortunately, Black people are the only race that still believes in words like "Deserve", "Fair", "Earned it" are words that matter when it comes to success :francis:

Daps

1:45

- "Someone who has a famous parent in Hollywood is not guaranteed a role, but they get to go skip the line to get acting roles"
- " Alot of people who do not have famous parents never get to the front of the line, or even get to the front door"
- "If you have to eat, breath, sleep this acting shyt, you will feel a certain way about Actors that got on because of Nepotism"
- "On top of all the stresses of becoming an actor, you got your rent, your mortgage, feed your kids, support your girl, etc..... And if you don't make it what is your backup plan???!?"
- "Denzel Washington's son gets to skip the line and work with the A list directors, writers, producers, etc

fukk all that, I love Black Nepotism :blessed:

In fact, I feel Black people don't practice this enough :ehh:. For some reason we love these "get out of the gutter" stories. Instead of a "Oh my father is a lawyer and he got me connected to get hired at a prestigious law firm"
We would be in a WAY better position in society if we practiced what other races have been doing for hundreds of years. But I guess that's a topic for another day

Good points.

We need to get to a point where there are a ton of Black people that can afford to give their kids a leg up.

RhodyRum

Mark Gassed-A-Heaux
Daps
Reppin
The Great Green North
Unfortunately, Black people are the only race that still believes in words like "Deserve", "Fair", "Earned it" are words that matter when it comes to success :francis:

Ayo fam I'm high as FUKK and I'm watching an episode of "Get A Life" on Youtube and a dead rat just fell out of Chris Elliot's milk and onto his cereal and breh, I'm DYING.
full

Show was a 90s classic but that shıt was naaaaasty. :scusthov: :mjlol:

Last edited:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Aries Spears makes a decent point.
I just think that he says things, sometimes with the wrong tone or with a certain kind of emotion that makes him look really bad.

Like, dude...you've been in show business for 25 years. Don't you recognize how to play the game? How to avoid certain topics or tap dance around a question that might lead to an answer that will rub people the wrong way?

So much of show business is about relationships and whether people like you. You can't open the wrong doors even a little bit.

I mean Aries literally has an interview with Vlad where he speaks about how he ragged on Jordan Peele and Keegan-Michael Key from when they were on MadTV and then he later auditioned for a role in one of Peele's movies and didn't get it. And then wondered if Peele was aware of Spears' comments about him.

Now hypothetically, he could audition for a role where John David Washington is involved...and this interview could potentially cost him a job. I mean I'm talking in "what ifs" here but that's how Hollywood works a lot of the time.

And again, Spears is not necessarily wrong about nepotism. But I think a more political answer was the way to go.

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
The problem some times with nepotism is that the position is given to a family member who is ill-prepared for it. I see no problem with nepotism when the person who receives the leg-up is qualified for the position. Still, the other end of that bargain is that the family member should also be replaced if the person is found to be incompetent, negligent, or just plain ole lazy.

Overall, I see it as being better to help your own make it when they put in the work to be successful, than to hand it over to others outside of your family sphere. I am a strong family first proponent, so my view on this is most certainly biased.

Mashal88

All Star
Daps
According to reports, John David Washington kept his aspirations a secret from his father until he was cast in his first role. The "Tenet" actor, 35, revealed in an Esquire interview, he decided to move from football to acting and only told his mother, Pauletta Washington, he was auditioning. He landed his first role on HBO's "Ballers". "There was disbelief," John David told the magazine of his dad's reaction. He "kept asking questions like 'For HBO? Like Home Box Office Entertainment? Who? Really? But what's it called? The Rock?' He just kept asking questions like 'Is this real?' I guess he had to check it with his agents to make sure it was real, and he was happy for me, and then he said exactly what I was going to do anyway, but 'As soon as this is over, you gotta go learn. You gotta go learn how to do this.'"

Denzel didn't put him on directly. His connections to people got him in the door. I'm sure if his son was a shyt actor he wouldn't be okay with it. He had his own football career going and pivoted. He took that seriously like he does acting. Great directors keep casting him in leading roles because he's actually good at this.

Last edited:

Thanos

?
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
:youngsabo: Nepotism overwhelming favors ppl in the same classes, which results in ppl that in positions that they shouldn't. This country had someone at head of education that ain't no more qualified than average office worker. Aries burnt a lot of bridges & this just consequences.

Last edited:

Spliff

Godzilla got busy.
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
Thread title implies something different than what’s said in the video.