reigun

Superstar
Daps
A lot of old execs are out of touch. He'll, Black Panther wasn't in the initial MCU plan. Diversity sells,now more than ever. People who dont understand that, will get broke and be left behind.
I'm not even talking about execs. If anything, I think Disney saw the writing was on the wall the closer the movie got to release and adjusted accordingly. Marketing for the movie was definitely lighter than I expecting. Not that the movie is a bomb, mind you. It's still making money and is a feather in their cap critically.

I'm talking more about industry analysts, bloggers, and fans who thought every other movie needed to run in fear of Mary Poppins. It's like they saw the word "Disney" and instantly put up all kinds blinders against reading the tide of the market and seeing how limited the appeal of the movie actually was, especially in foreign markets. The best reasoning I've heard was that people believed it would mimic the success of The Greatest Showman, but even that only made $435 million ww.

People kept saying things like "there's so much nostalgia for Mary Poppins," and I was just like, "Who the hell has nostalgia for Mary Poppins in 2018?!" I knew what was up when I took my students on a field trip to see The Grinch. We got the trailer Mary Poppins and maybe three kids made any noise. The rest were like :beli::francis::russell:. The chaperones didn't care much either.

Hopefully this is a lesson to everyone that not all Disney properties are created equally.

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps
Caught this a week or two ago and really enjoyed it. Wan found a good balance between serving the story and injecting his own personal style - the Trench sequence in particular - into it too.

To be honest, I'm relieved that they proved the idea of a connected vision with these characters didn't live and die with Snyder. I get that he cast Momoa, but the majority of the credit should go to James Wan for putting this together.

The idea of Aquaman, Shazam and Wonder Woman being the Cinematic big 3 is :leon:I wonder if that will be reflected in their books going forward.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Opens in Japan next month, could def end with a strong 1.2 bil .. thats amazing

s/o to the GAWD for casting Momoa

in-snyder-we-trust-5058753.png

Imagine if Aquaman managed to outgross Captain America: CW? :bryan:

I want you to be the first one to point that out, when that happens.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
General public/global audiences =/= comic book neckbheards and their self-absorbed industry pundits

Aquaman, Black Panther, Venom, Wonder Woman, GotG, etc... all IPs that weren't supposed to be that successful because of race, gender, or simply not being batman, x-men, spider-man specifically... and yet they have often proven to be the bigger box office hits.

In general, the comic book industry is a backwards industry that only now is starting to realize what time it is; the equivalent of if the NBA wasn't based on talent but based on what a bunch of old white guys thought the general public would like to see "marketed" on the court. i.e. you'd have a bunch of white players 95% of the time to moderate success, and they'd never think a 6'8 tatted up black kid from Akron, Ohio would ever be marketable as a franchise player.

So it's funny how black, brown, and female athletes/celebrities are some of the biggest global stars in sports and music entertainment, yet the neckbeards and industry pundits wanted to pretend that shyt would be different in comic book entertainment. Even Blade and Blade 2 did damn good for an R-rated low-budged vampire flick 20 years ago before superhero shyt was considered cool.

And yea, props to Jason Momoa and the cast/crew for the big accomplishment

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Man if someone told you 5 years ago the Aquaman movie would outgross Batman v Superman and Justice League, as well as th Dark Knight Trilogly :leon:

The Dark Knight trilogy came out too long ago now to really compare it, The Dark Knight today would be like $700M domestic not counting overseas but the fact that Aquaman outgrossed a lot of these other movies in recent years is pretty crazy

James Wan :obama:

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Aquaman, Black Panther, Venom, Wonder Woman, GotG, etc... all IPs that weren't supposed to be that successful because of race, gender, or simply not being batman, x-men, spider-man specifically... and yet they have often proven to be the bigger box office hits.

To be honest, you could pretty much include the whole MCU, in terms of IP expectations. If someone told you in 2005 that a ironman/capt. america film would outgross a batman/superman film folks would look at you like:patrice:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
To be honest, you could pretty much include the whole MCU, in terms of IP expectations. If someone told you in 2005 that a ironman/capt. america film would outgross a batman/superman film folks would look at you like:patrice:

Cap yes but Iron Man was a pretty big IP when I was coming up, I think there's a bit of revisionist history going on there, Iron Man and Hulk were both popular characters in the 90s

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Cap yes but Iron Man was a pretty big IP when I was coming up, I think there's a bit of revisionist history going on there, Iron Man and Hulk were both popular characters in the 90s

I don't remember iron man being a "big" lp in the 90s, he was known sure. Def not not batman/sups level popular.

And he was well below most other marvel characters, was marvel even able to sell him off to other film studios?

Sensitive Christian Grey

The Fisher King
Daps
Reppin
Welsh Hills
I've said this before but it really bares repeating: people expected way too much from Mary Poppins. Like, did no one stop to think that maybe a musical set in 1940s Britain about a magic nanny that was a sequel that to a film that came out when our grandparents were children wasn't the most relevant shyt in 2019? I haven't seen it but I don't doubt it's an enjoyable movie, and it's not even doing that poorly. I'm just amazed people were talking about it like it was Star Wars or some shyt.

Like, read the room, people. In a year where movies with diverse casts and creative teams and telling diverse stories were exploding, why did anyone think something as utterly.....white as Mary Poppins was going to be this juggernaut? I truly will never understand.

This post is right, but I will say that Greatest Showman was big, and that was white as hell too

reigun

Superstar
Daps
Iron Man had his little cartoon in the 90s, but that was about it. He was well below Spider-Man, the X-Men, Hulk, and (to a lesser extent) the Fantastic Four in terms of well known Marvel characters. Throw in DC's lineup, and yeah. He was pretty low on the superhero totem pole, and he only fell further in the early 2000s once more comic movies started hitting.

This post is right, but I will say that Greatest Showman was big, and that was white as hell too
The Greatest Showman definitely overperformed for what was initially expected of it, but it wasn't anywhere what people expect Mary Poppins Returns to be.

I'm not saying movies like that can't succeed - Mary Poppins isn't even bombing - but moreso that the movie in no way lines up with the real runaway hits this year for it to be the cololassal hit people were calling for.

2 Up 2 Down

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
yeah Marvel got Iron Man in games and cartoons so people that weren't familiar from the comics would know who he is. He's comics weren't X-Men or Spider-Man level but, as pointed out earlier, that doesn't matter to the mainstream

DlAMONDZ

That pu$$y got me grinning
Daps
Reppin
Cali
It's official: DC has their first billion dollar film since The Dark Knight Rises.

What makes this even more impressive is that it didn't have the luxury of being part of a huge brand with tons of goodwill like the MCU

I mean look at this shyt:

Thor 1 opening weekend: 65m
Aquaman opening weeknd: 67m

Aquaman had like no buzz and will make north of 1.1B:wow: