reigun

Superstar
Daps
Months ago, people thought this would struggle to outgross Ant-Man and the Wasp. Now it's poised to outgross most of the MCU and the entire DCEU. Wan about to get the Nolan deal at WB: blank check and carte blanche to make whatever he wants.

This movie's success does force some changes in how we talk about superhero movies.

1. Audiences are not harboring some grudge against DC as a brand. People pointed to Justice League as a sign that audiences no longer wanted to show up to DC movies, but that ignored the actual problems with that film. Namely, there was little hype for it prior to release, there was terrible WOM after release, and WB barely marketed it due to them probably realizing it was a mess.

The only people who were holding some kind of grudge against DC were the bitter nerds who follow this stuff. General audiences do not care cause all this superhero stuff is the same shyt to them.

2. The problem with DC thus far was never "DC." It was who they chose to helm the projects. People didn't dislike DC, they disliked Zack Synder's movies. You get him out the director's chair, and things instantly look up. Nothing against the man - I actually think people give him far too much crap - but his films just didn't gel with audiences. Wonder Woman did. Aquaman did. Shazam looks like it will too. In the future, Warner needs to be very particular about who they get to helm these projects.

3. It literally does not matter what character you're making a movie about. This is probably my most hated talking about in superhero movies because at this point, we have more than enough evidence to show that audiences will come out for any superhero movie as long as it's good. People swore up and down Aquaman would be a tough sell because "the character is a joke" (I'll get to that). Yet here we are: Aquaman is box office gold. Why? Because he stars in a crowd pleasing movie. This material isn't as impenetrable as fans want to believe it is.

4. Aquaman isn't a joke anymore. I made this point elsewhere: if you're a kid aged 8-13, where have you seen Aquaman? Cartoons like Young Justice or Brave and the Bold, games like Injustice, or recent books and comics. In other words, media where he's always portrayed as a competent and worthwhile character. Personally, I talk to my students (second grade) about comics pretty regularly. When I bring up Aquaman, they either think he's cool or he's just another hero to them.

As for older people, many didn't have an opinion about this character at all prior to the movie. At this point, I think it's probably fair to say a lot of people seeing this movie were only vaguely aware of who Aquaman is. We think of him as this widespread joke, but truthfully, he's only really a joke to nerds who follow this stuff or people who remember Superfriends. A lot of people are seeing this movie or being exposed to the character without that baggage.

DC won. Their decades long plan to rehabilitate Aquaman worked.

AquaGronk. But I liked it. New take that no one really tried before with comic book leads. Wasn't a complete meathead, but you get it.
I did like how they expanded on Aquaman's character in this beyond the "WAHOO!" and such. They made it clear that he wasn't an idiot cause his dad made sure to teach him things and he could think his way out of a problem. It was more so that he was just a simple guy who preferred things to be uncomplicated. Like he told Mera, he's a blunt force object.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
You ain't gotta like it, but it's reality. :manny:

I don't know who you consider the GOAT rapper....let's say it's Nas. Do you like other rappers besides Nas? Of course. Do you grade everyone on the same curve as him....no. It wouldn't make any sense to. That's completely unrelated to whether or not you think they're wack or dope. Superman is a Nas level comic character....GOTG is a....Questionmark Asylum level comic group. If Nas spit Questionmark Asylum level lyrics you'd say he fell off....if Questionmark Asylum spit even the weakest Nas verses it would blow your fukking mind, though. Because it's not expected.

Fred.

Yes. Yes I do. One of my issues lol. I said this when I wrote about wu last month but they were and are my benchmark for rap. If it wasn’t on their level or close to it or at least in the same league or ballpark then I wasn’t and don’t fukk with it.

So my brain doesn’t work like that. I don’t grade on curves I don’t believe in cutting slack for you being wack or half wack and I’m not in the business of lowering my standards to bail you out. You got a wack album or movie, you got a wack life. :manny:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Months ago, people thought this would struggle to outgross Ant-Man and the Wasp. Now it's poised to outgross most of the MCU and the entire DCEU. Wan about to get the Nolan deal at WB: blank check and carte blanche to make whatever he wants.

This movie's success does force some changes in how we talk about superhero movies.

1. Audiences are not harboring some grudge against DC as a brand. People pointed to Justice League as a sign that audiences no longer wanted to show up to DC movies, but that ignored the actual problems with that film. Namely, there was little hype for it prior to release, there was terrible WOM after release, and WB barely marketed it due to them probably realizing it was a mess.

The only people who were holding some kind of grudge against DC were the bitter nerds who follow this stuff. General audiences do not care cause all this superhero stuff is the same shyt to them.

2. The problem with DC thus far was never "DC." It was who they chose to helm the projects. People didn't dislike DC, they disliked Zack Synder's movies. You get him out the director's chair, and things instantly look up. Nothing against the man - I actually think people give him far too much crap - but his films just didn't gel with audiences. Wonder Woman did. Aquaman did. Shazam looks like it will too. In the future, Warner needs to be very particular about who they get to helm these projects.

3. It literally does not matter what character you're making a movie about. This is probably my most hated talking about in superhero movies because at this point, we have more than enough evidence to show that audiences will come out for any superhero movie as long as it's good. People swore up and down Aquaman would be a tough sell because "the character is a joke" (I'll get to that). Yet here we are: Aquaman is box office gold. Why? Because he stars in a crowd pleasing movie. This material isn't as impenetrable as fans want to believe it is.

4. Aquaman isn't a joke anymore. I made this point elsewhere: if you're a kid aged 8-13, where have you seen Aquaman? Cartoons like Young Justice or Brave and the Bold, games like Injustice, or recent books and comics. In other words, media where he's always portrayed as a competent and worthwhile character. Personally, I talk to my students (second grade) about comics pretty regularly. When I bring up Aquaman, they either think he's cool or he's just another hero to them.

As for older people, many didn't have an opinion about this character at all prior to the movie. At this point, I think it's probably fair to say a lot of people seeing this movie were only vaguely aware of who Aquaman is. We think of him as this widespread joke, but truthfully, he's only really a joke to nerds who follow this stuff or people who remember Superfriends. A lot of people are seeing this movie or being exposed to the character without that baggage.

I did like how they expanded on Aquaman's character in this beyond the "WAHOO!" and such. They made it clear that he wasn't an idiot cause his dad made sure to teach him things and he could think his way out of a problem. It was more so that he was just a simple guy who preferred things to be uncomplicated. Like he told Mera, he's a blunt force object.

I’m with you for point number 2 specifically. I think we as a culture can get too focused on the brands and not on the ingredients in said brand. If you don’t like Snyder movies then the shyt he’s done won’t be to your taste. The reason I always thought this would work for me is because I fukk with James wan. Same reason I knew black panther would work for me because I fukk with Ryan Coogler. On the flip side I had little interest in ant man because Peyton reed isn’t a director I care much for. He doesn’t make shyt that I gravitate to, so the ant man movies could be a miss for me.

What I love tho, is when I get introduced to “new”filmmakers, like the Russo’s, who I loved from tv but now I get to see what they can do with more money and a bigger canvas. That shyt is awesome.

Still FloW

Gawd Of Shinobi
Daps
Reppin
Inside K. Michelle's Box
Officially crossed $750+ million worldwide.

Domestic - $189+ million
Intl - $562+million

Gonna cross $800 million WW in next few days and should reach a billion by February
3bf576d29de9f6a03e18b5bdafe806e2.png

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas

:ehh:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Wasn't confirmed by an insider that Snyder was fired? I think I remember rumors of it even before his daughter killed herself. WB deserved that movie failing. We could've had Darkseid, brehs:to:, and you know a Superman vs Darkseid fight scene would've been epic:wow:

Nah I ain't seen that shyt confirmed. Snyder still seems to have a good relationship with some people at Warner so I think he stepped down. But regardless, Whedon was definitely not the right fit.

I'm good with not seeing Darkseid because I wouldn't want him ruined in a trash heap like that. They can push him further down the line :manny:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
People didn't dislike DC, they disliked Zack Synder's movies. You get him out the director's chair, and things instantly look up. Nothing against the man - I actually think people give him far too much crap - but his films just didn't gel with audiences. Wonder Woman did. Aquaman did. Shazam looks like it will too. In the future, Warner needs to be very particular about who they get to helm these projects.

I have to stop you here to clear up a couple things. In general most comic fans like Man of Steel. BvS is hit and miss for sure but Man of Steel is pretty well liked. Also, Snyder is the one who cast both Gal Gadot and Momoa in their roles. Snyder has a story credit on Wonder Woman and he ghost directed some scenes for Patty Jenkins in Wonder Woman. I don't think you are giving him enough credit...

Don't get me wrong, it was probably time for him to leave and I have no issue with how DC is moving forward.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Yes. Yes I do. One of my issues lol. I said this when I wrote about wu last month but they were and are my benchmark for rap. If it wasn’t on their level or close to it or at least in the same league or ballpark then I wasn’t and don’t fukk with it.

So my brain doesn’t work like that. I don’t grade on curves I don’t believe in cutting slack for you being wack or half wack and I’m not in the business of lowering my standards to bail you out. You got a wack album or movie, you got a wack life. :manny:

So you expect a new rapper to be on the same level as arguably the greatest rap group of all time?

Not just one rapper....everyone? :gucci:
I mean....where does this stop? Does every director have to be Kubrick? Does every TV show have to be "The Wire" or else you can't enjoy it? :gucci:

Fred.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Why do DC fans attack Whedon but deify Snyder?

Justice League is Whedon's movie what else is there to discuss? Sure they kept some Snyder scenes in there but Whedon rewrote more than half of the script and he changed the tone of the film to a degree that is was jarring for the characters and didn't work on any level.

reigun

Superstar
Daps
I have to stop you here to clear up a couple things. In general most comic fans like Man of Steel. BvS is hit and miss for sure but Man of Steel is pretty well liked. Also, Snyder is the one who cast both Gal Gadot and Momoa in their roles. Snyder has a story credit on Wonder Woman and he ghost directed some scenes for Patty Jenkins in Wonder Woman. I don't think you are giving him enough credit...

Don't get me wrong, it was probably time for him to leave and I have no issue with how DC is moving forward.
Well I don't mean to say he made no good decisions. Like I said, people do give him too much crap and downplay his talents. But the facts are the facts, and the fact is Synder's vision was not was audiences were looking for by and large. Man of Steel was openly mocked for 3 years after release and only recently are people starting to warm up to it. Batman V Superman is one of the most reviled blockbusters in recent memory.

My point was that audiences never had a problem with DC as a whole because that's what you hear in these nerd circles. "DC makes bad movies." "DC needs to [insert armchair movie producing]." "Why is DC so dark?" "DC" as a brand was never what people's issues were with. They just didn't like Zack Synder's movies.

Suicide Squad is the exception, but that movie had a whole host of other issues behind the scenes.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
So you expect a new rapper to be on the same level as arguably the greatest rap group of all time?

Not just one rapper....everyone? :gucci:
I mean....where does this stop? Does every director have to be Kubrick? Does every TV show have to be "The Wire" or else you can't enjoy it? :gucci:

Fred.

No I expect a new rapper to be dope. I don’t say “well he or she or good for what they’re trying to do” if you’re wack you’re wack. I don’t grade you on the scale for being dope at what it is you’re doing or what your purpose is. Let’s take cardi for instance. She’s has a purpose for her an audience and does a specific type of rap. Cool. Great. I acknowledge she’s not making music for me. But she’s wack.

Not every rapper will be Nas and not every group will be wu. But I appreciate the ones who are at least dope. Gunn and Conway aren’t Ghost and Rae but they’re damn sure coming with heat and improving each time out in hopes of being on that level. Which is better than just saying “well I don’t expect them to get to that level or be half as good so let me just enjoy them for what they are” I just don’t believe in that shyt.

Don’t waste my time as a consumer by being half baked.

Not every show needs to be the wire or the west wing or the Simpsons for me but it has to at least be dope or shooting for that spot. Wallowing in being average just because you can be average is wack to me. Like I said it’s not about being on the same level of Nas or wu as much as it’s at least being in the same league. I can put Griselda or Pusha or anyone else I really fukk with next to the legends and the shyt isn’t laughable.

So taking it all the way back to the villain shyt:russ: I don’t double my expectations based on your name or who you are. My expectations are purely based on you being a movie and a story and following the rules of storytelling. If character A is weak just like character B, I don’t give one a pass because they’re more well known. All shyt is equal to me. So while some may say you have to get joker right and they get upset if they don’t, I’m just as miffed if you get the prowler wrong because they serve the same purpose of the story which is to challenge the hero and be a force to reckon with. The better the villain the better the hero