Apparently If You Die On Mount Everest. You're There Forever. (pic) :damn:

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
So no teams from African or Latin American nations on the list? Just Western nations and some token Asian countries. Come on my black and brown we CAN DO IT! I don't see the point of it. Its hella dangerous

Lost His Smile

Stop Existing.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 12th Dimension
:camby: Theres a reason people pay thousands just for a Sherpa to carry their ass up and down. They're not built for that type of environment.

Lost His Smile

Stop Existing.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 12th Dimension
They don't carry you. They leave your ass if you run out of O2. There's not enough oxygen to feed your muscles so how you gonna move when you're a frozen doll?

I meant the Sherpas help them climb (guide). I know they leave them if they die. The bodies are actually used as markers too.

69 others

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
it's a shame how the sherpas don't get more credit. they rope the two most used tracks up the mountain so western "climbers" can just follow the ropes and walk up and down the mountain, setup up oxygen stashes, camps, etc yet you don't see much about them or their deaths. even the first man credited with reaching the sumit first had a sherpa by his side. chances are he wouldn't of gotten close if it wasn't for the sherpa

Beck.er.

All Star
Daps
This is why Everest is a joke to me. All these people are using Sherpas and guides to basically hold their hands to the top. Yeah, it's a really tough physical challenge, but so many people are doing it now they get backed up in lines trying to get through. There was a really good documentary a few years ago on this guy who sold expeditions. I think it cost about $25K and takes a month because your body has to get used to the altitude.
Real Sports had a good story on this.

Basically hundreds of people demand to be taken up Everest every year who have no business on the mountain. The tour companies make a shytload of money off of them so they hire Sherpas to do everything but strap them to their backs and carry them up. The government is just concerned about the money they get from agencies and tourists so they give out permits and licenses willy nilly. The Sherpas end up doing everything difficult and putting themselves in greater danger to make it easier for tourists to climb, tour companies to jam as many people on the mt as they can and the government to rake in cash. In return they get few benefits and protection, no input on safety measures, an increasingly deadly work environment, undue pressure from the government and few/no provisions for health/medical care, funeral costs, family support in case of serious injury or death, or the basic maintenance and needs for their villages and no political voice.

So the death rate for Sherpas continues to increase.

Beck.er.

All Star
Daps
Last year Sherpas tried to boycott after 13(or so) of them died in one incident.

69 others

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What is a sherpa?

it's an ethnic group of people from the mountainous regions around Everest. they are mostly farmers but they were hired from the time of the earliest explorers and climbers in the region to carry supplies up mountains since there are use to the high altitudes. some of them are the best climbers in the world today holding records for climbing not only mountains in the Himalayas but around the world too.

checkout this for a good read: Sherpas: The Invisible Men of Everest

old_timer

Taxi Squad
Daps
elevation is a motherfukker..:francis:

as a kid, i remember listening ot gams where denver was the "home team"
talking nonstop about elevation, fatigue etc
i was so naive.. i was always like "what's the big deal??":troll:

welp,, my wife (rip) and i had these friends who wanted to take us skiing
lake tahoe, nv
i was along for the fukkery/party but didn't ski:whoa:
so we left the room and took the charter bus to squaw valley:ohhh:
i was recovering from my hangover (well, legally stil drunk)
but i had time to kill
so i rode up to the north camp 8000+ ft

i wandered out and lit up a cigar
that's when i felt it- really felt it
only ~25% the elevation of mt. everest
that's when i knew i was out of my element
i finished my cigar then went inside to sit my drunk ass down:mjlol:

notPsychosiz

I started this gangsta sh-
Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
:pacspit: get that cacpedia outta here:camby:i know a sherpa that went up in 1 hour :dahell: you calling me a liar?!

I'm not the guy u were talking to, but I believe you that the fastest person up and down was a sherpa.

If you look at the records, everyone of them are by ppl that live in Nepal, like the Sherpas are from. All the record holders are natives.
Plus, I am pretty sure that unlike the tourist they don't necessarily bother to register everytime they go on the mountain.

One of the biggest time factors is the amount of other ppl going up and down on the trail with you.
So, if they have access to the mountain for example on a day when no tourists are on it, you are cutting several hours off your time.
The record is 8 hours, so alone on the mountain I would imagine they could do it in a couple hours.

notPsychosiz

I started this gangsta sh-
Daps
Reppin
dogbornwolf
Just watched it....no sympathy :manny:
They told her not to go up cause she was running out of oxygen and she didn't listen :manny:
just watched this she wasnt about that life she barely trained, she wanted to say she climb the Everest :francis: as a conversation starter at cocktails

Unrelated, but I had never heard of that show (Fifth Estate)

I watched a few other eps at random. They are pretty good, and informative too. They have like 40 seasons on youtube.