Anyone watching "Industry" on HBO?

NSSVO

Veteran
Daps
I don't know if you're kidding?

This show is a hot mess... and I want some more.

Could be the heat of the moment for me. But, when ol girl did that shyt in ep4 to the ending, I was almost as invested as I was when watching the Undoing. Sure the shoehorned black gay shyt was whatever, and the British duke who isn't rich doing his thing isn't the most entertaining. I really liked almost everything else, I appreciate if a show can make me feel nervous or have me 'mark' out.

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
The idea is good but there is something Off with the show. It feels a little cheap? maybe on the production side. the first 2 episodes didn't flow well, I feel like they should have built the characters up more.
The show is wack because of who produced it
You need ppl who have actually worked in the field or to do some research on it

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
The show is wack because of who produced it
You need ppl who have actually worked in the field or to do some research on it
The two showrunners worked in the industry as investment bankers

106802113-1606297066670-Mickey_Down_Konrad_Kay.jpg

The show, which starts on HBO on Monday, November 9 and on the BBC on November 10, was created by Mickey Down and Konrad Kay, both of whom have experience working for an investment bank before letting their experience inspire this new show.

Speaking to Newsweek, Down said: "Me and Konrad have been writing together for six years. We met at University. We both went into quite short careers in finance before deciding to write together.

"We were working with the production company called Bad Wolf on another project when its CEO, Jane Tranter, discovered that she had two guys that used to work in finance working for her. She said, 'Have you ever tried to make a show about it?' And we told her we had [but it] was just disastrous in terms of how bad it was.

"And she said, 'have you ever thought about writing around your experiences? Have you ever thought about writing from the people at the bottom?' and that was the sort of key that unlocked the show."

Down himself worked in the department that we see Gus (played by David Jonsson) working in in Industry's first episode, which he described as "the quieter, nocturnal culture, mergers, and acquisitions part of the business."

This experience has led directly to how the show looks, with a more diverse cast than viewers may expect from a financial industry often portrayed as 'male, pale and stale' in TV and film.

"You would expect these placed to be full of straight white men [but] from my experience, these places are quite diverse...they are international places and then you get people from all around the world coming to them. So they are a little bit more multicultural than maybe people give them credit for."

Though the pair worked in finance, they also brought in a consultant from Morgan Stanley to ensure that the jargon-heavy dialogue is accurate. Kay explained: "It was very important to me and Mickey that everything that was happening on a numerical level was absolutely spot-on, so we basically used this guy as a kind of almost a backstop.

"It was very important to me and Mickey that a finance person could watch this show. Even if it is like a tiny percentage of the audience they can be like, 'Oh wow, slightly sensationalized, a little bit heightened, but the essence of the world is almost totally correct."

'Industry' show creators on the true stories that inspired the HBO show

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
The two showrunners worked in the industry as investment bankers

106802113-1606297066670-Mickey_Down_Konrad_Kay.jpg

The show, which starts on HBO on Monday, November 9 and on the BBC on November 10, was created by Mickey Down and Konrad Kay, both of whom have experience working for an investment bank before letting their experience inspire this new show.

Speaking to Newsweek, Down said: "Me and Konrad have been writing together for six years. We met at University. We both went into quite short careers in finance before deciding to write together.

"We were working with the production company called Bad Wolf on another project when its CEO, Jane Tranter, discovered that she had two guys that used to work in finance working for her. She said, 'Have you ever tried to make a show about it?' And we told her we had [but it] was just disastrous in terms of how bad it was.

"And she said, 'have you ever thought about writing around your experiences? Have you ever thought about writing from the people at the bottom?' and that was the sort of key that unlocked the show."

Down himself worked in the department that we see Gus (played by David Jonsson) working in in Industry's first episode, which he described as "the quieter, nocturnal culture, mergers, and acquisitions part of the business."

This experience has led directly to how the show looks, with a more diverse cast than viewers may expect from a financial industry often portrayed as 'male, pale and stale' in TV and film.

"You would expect these placed to be full of straight white men [but] from my experience, these places are quite diverse...they are international places and then you get people from all around the world coming to them. So they are a little bit more multicultural than maybe people give them credit for."

Though the pair worked in finance, they also brought in a consultant from Morgan Stanley to ensure that the jargon-heavy dialogue is accurate. Kay explained: "It was very important to me and Mickey that everything that was happening on a numerical level was absolutely spot-on, so we basically used this guy as a kind of almost a backstop.

"It was very important to me and Mickey that a finance person could watch this show. Even if it is like a tiny percentage of the audience they can be like, 'Oh wow, slightly sensationalized, a little bit heightened, but the essence of the world is almost totally correct."

'Industry' show creators on the true stories that inspired the HBO show
My bad then. That black dude looks kinda zesty
No wonder gus is gay

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Started the season with intrigue and now the only character I don't hate is Robert, and even then he fukked over Greg because it was his turn to give a fukk and he did not give a fukk. I absolutely despise Harper, in every other episode I could say the showrunners made her hold the idiot ball, but
they destroyed her character in the final episode.

This series is riddled with problems that clearly displays the showrunners either needs to gets got or HBO/BBC needs to handcuff an experienced screenwriter to them. One of the problems is scenes and intros just happen out of nowhere.

Characters abruptly change their personality and then revert back a couple scenes later.

It feels like they're trying to make Robert/Harper/Yasmine a Lucas/Sawyer/Brook analogue but it utterly fails because all the characters are shallow and devoid of color.
This feels like a self-contained story in a way, the way Greg, Gus, Daria got sacked I don't know where they go for a season 2. Although, the production companies are a UK based one and BBC Studios so it adds more weight that as long as UK views are good it'll get a renewal. So I have an incentive to watch BBC2 now.

There is absolutely no way this gets a second series but if it does I'm watching it in a similar vein as Riverdale.

I found the relationship between Rob and Clement quite good, easily the best in fact.

I wanted Eric and Harper to be the Harvey and Mike of this show but that ain't it.

Life has always been a matter of luck and the ability to capitalize on it. Rob faked it for life 2-3 sentences and convinced the head boss to keep in that £100K job. It's wild but it wouldn't happen if that guy wasn't randomly sitting in on the interviews. In a way Robert owes Harper his career I mean if Harper wasn't dumb enough to get probed by Daria and facilitate Eric's firing, then Boss man wouldn't have been in that interview room.

perfect breakdown. I felt exactly the same way. Harper was supposed to be this strong character that wanted to win at all costs. The episode where she fukked up the trade was perfect. And it endearing her more to Eric was natural. All for her to just sell him down the River the very next episode and just turn into this directionless character for the rest of the season felt wack. And the random drastic decisions she started to make felt weird and inconsistent too.

Yasmine is my type of white woman tho... :takedat:
I would have mushed the shyt out of Harper if she fukked up my threesome like that...