Anyone miss the days when each console ACTUALLY felt different?

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
As an old ass nygga creepin ever closer to 40, it's mixed feelings. I do think it was cool how everyone had their different gaming path. Mine was Genesis > Ps1 > Ps2 > 360 > Ps4 > Ps5

A number of my friends went the Nintendo route, so headin to my friend's spot to play TMNT on SNES, or later going from my single player ish like Tomb Raider, Crash Bandicoot, FF8, etc to a friend's house to play Golden Eye, Star Fox, Bomberman, Diddy Kong Racing, etc was dope.

That said, that 360 period of movie games and sandboxes may have been the most joy i ever had in gaming (Halo 3 + Reach; Gears 1-3; Mass Effect 1-3; Fallout; Skyrim), at which point i no longer felt the need for diversiification. Also getting older/adulting and not being as exploratory.

Diondon

Thanks to the lawyers uh, I marbled the foyer
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere tropic...
I think every game should be everywhere is the dumbest shyt ever
Basically you're giving up on selling your console
Every box will be analogous; have the same features, have the same games, feel the same, play the same
Why pick one over the other?
Meanwhile, Nintendo is laughing at these fools all the way to the bank

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
i wish sega and neo geo could come back to hardware. their idea of modern controllers could be interesting considering they had a different focus than sony and MS

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
This is exactly what I came in here to say. It costs so much to make games now that companies can't afford to take risks, especially with inflation and other economic issues associated to the consumer.

It's a double edged sword: companies don't want to take big risks, and consumers aren't willing to either buy risky games. Add that to these companies losing money on putting out other less risky games but are either partially broken when released or have added feature requirements such as always online, etc. that pisses off consumers that make them not want to buy games.

There are a lot of factors here, with mismanagement of studios, losing money on big AAA projects, the funds to make risky games and consumers unwilling to spend $ to support them.

The entire system is broken.

Is there anything on the horizon that will make games cheaper to create? Will innovation become the set standard again? We see with Nintendo this isn't a problem, but they have a niche they've created over decades.
As much as I hate to say it, Artificial Intelligence

It will be a detriment to innovation/jobs down the line, but AI will change how games are made

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
As an old ass nygga creepin ever closer to 40, it's mixed feelings. I do think it was cool how everyone had their different gaming path. Mine was Genesis > Ps1 > Ps2 > 360 > Ps4 > Ps5

A number of my friends went the Nintendo route, so headin to my friend's spot to play TMNT on SNES, or later going from my single player ish like Tomb Raider, Crash Bandicoot, FF8, etc to a friend's house to play Golden Eye, Star Fox, Bomberman, Diddy Kong Racing, etc was dope.

That said, that 360 period of movie games and sandboxes may have been the most joy i ever had in gaming (Halo 3 + Reach; Gears 1-3; Mass Effect 1-3; Fallout; Skyrim), at which point i no longer felt the need for diversiification. Also getting older/adulting and not being as exploratory.

Yeah I'm about the same age and my gaming path was -

NES > Genesis > PS1 > Dreamcast > PS2 > PS3 > PS4 > PS5

Been a while since I had more than one console though. Nothing against Nintendo or Microsoft but for me, Playstation just tends to have the most exclusives I'm interested in. Final fantasy, MGS, etc. Dreamcast will always be my personal GOAT console though.

Womb Raider

movin' thru the city streets
Daps
Reppin
Fo Nem
PS2/GC/Xbox generation was definitely special. Even when multiplats like SC3 dropped each console had their own exclusive features. The economy, think cost of game development, has made individuality less of a priority then profit. It’s to the point that games aren’t released in final form due to the need to get max profit.

DLC and live service completely changed the gaming industry in ways we will not see again.

Jonah

XBOT Suicide Prevention Squad
Daps
Reppin
Cali Crew
Companies are super risk averse. The cost of making a top tier game is astronomical so only a few franchises still exist. That's why you have all these channels dedicated to praising the games from the NES to the PS2/XBox era.

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yes I do, every console having it's own unique features and games was fun