Anyone miss the days when each console ACTUALLY felt different?

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I was just thinking about this, back during the late 90s to early 2000s, each console/platform felt markedly different from one another. Whether it was the hardware>graphical disparity between the two, exclusive games and features, controller, etc. they were all actually something interesting enough.

With the Dreamcast, you had the obvious differences which was graphics, the controller(VMUs) and it just having some titles that weren't available elsewhere. That one year before the PS2 dropped was crazy.

That was my favorite console during that era.

Then we get the OG Xbox, PS2 and GC.

GC was the obvious one, it being a purple lunchbox with mini DVDs, an odd controller and graphics between the PS2 and Xbox, it felt distinct enough from the others and still to this day Nintendo has that. It was dubbed the kiddie console of the three.

PS2 was the sort of "defacto" main console at the time that had all the games with lots of exclusives from third party and some first party.

Xbox felt like the more "premium" console with the best graphics, online features and the few games that stood out from the rest e.g. Halo, JSRF, Fable, Ninja Gaiden etc. Also the og Duke controller was BIG. This was imo the time Xbox was the STRONGEST and actual fandom felt like there was something solid behind it.

Seems like as time goes on, consoles start to become less and less different and end up being the same thing minus a few small things such as UI and maybe controller.

Nowadays, a PS5 and gaming PC can almost cover all bases and there's no real "graphical disparity" between the two main consoles.
I started to notice this around 2010 when I ditched the 360 in favor the PS3 and then going forward never felt the urge/need to get another Xbox again and today, 14 years later I've yet to buy another piece of Xbox hardware. I'd LIKE to, but they don't stand out as much.

Nintendo is like the only one that still gives you the joy of getting another piece of hardware that feels "different." Call them what you want but innovation at least still rings true there in their designs.

Almost everything is so homogenous nowadays. :francis:
Dreamcast:

b0996356a48313be3fd5342f2bdfe3b3c420088c.gif

nrewyu2ehlg61.gif
d0e666bcf32e92f90fb3dca8a38ceb7cdf23c06f.gif

2WIR1e.gif

PS2:
9hSzELq.gif

Applause%2C_Applause_KHII.gif

7yPa.gif

wwe_smackdown_here_comes_the_pain_finishers.gif

Xbox:

OYzDqp.gif

qPpn6A.gif

c7fb70df3a65177ecc9dadccae30d9cb549ad938_hq.gif

tumblr_o018ujzkYO1ramnmyo1_400.gif

GC:
tumblr_mbrnhf48bK1qepij6o1_500.gif

ibiF4c.gif

the-legend-of-zelda-the-wind-waker.gif

tumblr_oe64if14Xr1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

Nowadays 90% of the games you see are all on the same devices, and the devices themselves aren't that different from each other to the point where it stands out.
Only Nintendo and to an extent Sony keeps the distinction around (Nintendo with their eccentric console choices and Sony with the exclusives they have either 3rd/1st party.)

Last edited:

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
1. They are different, especially with the new dual sense controllers and 3D audio

2. Consoles were always vastly outdated.

3. It sounds like you becoming a grown man, which means it's time to build a $5k PC.

Genos

Superstar
Daps
You brehs have to play more games. We probably have the most varied game styles out now days. There is no way you guys are playing every new game per year, there are still games from a few years ago that are great.

PC gaming basically killed all that individual style shyt. But again style is more varied than ever

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
1. They are different, especially with the new dual sense controllers and 3D audio
Well that's what I mean the PS5 does have some sort of distinction still with that along with some exclusives.
Xbox nowadays is like a lesser version without all the things to stand out.

2. Consoles were always vastly outdated.

3. It sounds like you becoming a grown man, which means it's time to build a $5k PC.

I'll leave the $5K PC to @Ciggavelli. He gets a new PC build every month.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
You brehs have to play more games. We probably have the most varied game styles out now days. There is no way you guys are playing every new game per year, there are still games from a few years ago that are great.

PC gaming basically killed all that individual style shyt. But again style is more varied than ever
There’s a massive variety of games, but most are multiplat.

Genos

Superstar
Daps
There’s a massive variety of games, but most are multiplat.
That's why I'm saying PC killed the exclusive shyt. You can get console exclusives on PC now and even Nintendo games if you want to pirate.

Thatrogueassdiaz

We're on the blood path now
Daps
Reppin
Center self, inner self
Companies are super risk averse. The cost of making a top tier game is astronomical so only a few franchises still exist. That's why you have all these channels dedicated to praising the games from the NES to the PS2/XBox era.
This is exactly what I came in here to say. It costs so much to make games now that companies can't afford to take risks, especially with inflation and other economic issues associated to the consumer.

It's a double edged sword: companies don't want to take big risks, and consumers aren't willing to either buy risky games. Add that to these companies losing money on putting out other less risky games but are either partially broken when released or have added feature requirements such as always online, etc. that pisses off consumers that make them not want to buy games.

There are a lot of factors here, with mismanagement of studios, losing money on big AAA projects, the funds to make risky games and consumers unwilling to spend $ to support them.

The entire system is broken.

Is there anything on the horizon that will make games cheaper to create? Will innovation become the set standard again? We see with Nintendo this isn't a problem, but they have a niche they've created over decades.

gurf

All Star
Supporter
Daps
That's why I'm saying PC killed the exclusive shyt. You can get console exclusives on PC now and even Nintendo games if you want to pirate.
Yea, but that doesn’t address the topic.

:manny:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
they were even more distinct in the 80's and 90's. even the few multiplatform games were very different depending where you were playing

Illuminatos

#OVOXO
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I remember when the GameCube port of Budokai 1 dropped and they gave that version cel shaded graphics. I really wanted to buy a GameCube just to get that version.:pachaha: