Anyone looking to make 150k+ a year? Got the perfect career for you (Hiring in May)

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Wonder why 31 is the cut off
That's a good question. Maybe it's because young people are smarter and have quicker thoughts and realizations. Older people have the experience, but physically and mentally you start to decline at around that age. I work for a big tech company that specifically hires young people because the CEO thinks they are smarter. I'm 40 and I'm the oldest person on my team.

RareHunter

All Star
Daps
The training for the job is stressful, just because it's new and takes awhile to learn.

Go tell your younger family members/neighbors/coworkers, etc looking for a new career path about this announcement if you're too old brah. Spread the wealth and open a door for people who wouldn't normally know about this career but could be interested.

Also yes there is a 3-day window to apply for the job, then a couple months later EVERYONE who applied will be given the opportunity to test for the job to see how high you can score.
Is this in a specific city?

edit: it says you have to pick a selective service.

WTFisWallace?

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
You do realize that is one of the most stressful jobs in existence? Not worth the money if your life sucks for 8-10 hours every day.
Air traffic controller is one of the most stressful jobs in the world :dahell:. If you fukk up people die.
The stress part is over exaggerated, especially depending on your personality type.

Like @jaydawg08 said, most stressful parts of the job are 1) last few days of academy where it’s pass…or fail and go home essentially. 2) during training (which can last from a year to about 3.5 years depending on several factors)

I say depending on your personality…cause, yea, if you hate criticism, owning up to your mistakes, and generally dislike not being ‘good’ at something…the training portion of the job when you don’t know shyt and your trainer is correcting/critiquing you…might be more stressful for you than others.

But once you’re done with training (and good), job isn’t really that stressful.
Wonder why 31 is the cut off
For the most part it’s due to the retirement system. Air Traffic Controllers are not allowed to work traffic past the age of 56. You’re either forced to retire or have to move into another position like management, staff support, quality control, etc.

ATC can retire with 20 years of ‘good’ time…or 25 years. 31+25=56.

WTFisWallace?

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
Is this in a specific city?

edit: it says you have to pick a selective service.
The academy is in OKC. You’ll spend 3-4 months. Last day of the academy they’ll give you a list for you and your classmates who passed to pick from.

There are facilities all over the nation (including Guam, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, and Alaska), however the list you get to pick from will just be the ones where they need more staffing.

So your list to pick from could look like…Miami, D.C, Oakland, Houston, Seattle…..

Or it could look like Alaska, Lubbock, Roswell, Abilene, Midland (small Texas towns).

WTFisWallace?

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
Some of the drawbacks of the job are:

- the relocation factor, if you get a city you like off rip…cool. If not, it’s not always easy to transfer out.

I’ve seen people resign before they even start the “real” training due to being homesick.

- time off: you get about 3 or so weeks of vacation every year… but you bid your time off in Fall for the following year. As an example: in October 2023…I gotta pick all the days off I want for 2024. So you gotta plan way in advance, if you trying to do family trips or link ups. It’s not likely, damn near impossible to get approved vacation days 1 week, 1 month, 3 months from now. Some people just use sick leave for last minute trips and what not.

- actual ‘random’ drug tests

There are a lot of pros but main ones are: 1) after you’re certified, you don’t take ‘work’ home with you. 2) the pay: if you get en Route….depending on how your training goes, you can be making 160k+ in two years or under. If you really an OT fiend, you could probably bring home 10-12k a month.

The raises go something like 42k out of the academy…and as you get your certifications….55k —> 75k —> 98k —> 125k+ (base) once fully certified.

Last edited: