Anyone looking to make 150k+ a year? Got the perfect career for you (Hiring in May)

jaydawg08

Superstar
Daps
I got well qualified on the test and then I got a TOL this week. I signed the confirmation and filled out the contact form, and then got a confirmation of receipt same day. They said up to 14 days to hear back.
Good chit brah. If you're able to pick, I'd suggest pushing for enroute/center.

In the past you could reach out to the rep and they might be able to change your slot.

You get to be paid more $$ in the long run even though training might be longer.

I'd suggest staying at Kim's Place no matter what you get picked for.

Play the Academy game, but just keep it in the back of your mind all that chit you learn there is gonna be basically taught out of you at your facility anyway. But def play the game

degu9089

All Star
Daps
Good chit brah. If you're able to pick, I'd suggest pushing for enroute/center.

In the past you could reach out to the rep and they might be able to change your slot.

You get to be paid more $$ in the long run even though training might be longer.

I'd suggest staying at Kim's Place no matter what you get picked for.

Play the Academy game, but just keep it in the back of your mind all that chit you learn there is gonna be basically taught out of you at your facility anyway. But def play the game
Thanks for the info 🙏🏿

jaydawg08

Superstar
Daps
Related to this thread. Time 2:50 - 3:50.

Good chit on this segment you found

There's a lot of different reasons for the shortage, and I feel like venting about this so perfect reason to... Def issue with the advertisement of ATC, and just the general knowledge that people have about the career. People always say things like "ATC is really highly paid", but then I make a thread like this and a good segment of the responses are "for that pay, still not worth it". The union is trying to get us more pay, with more trainees and honestly to me they go hand in hand. Pilots got more pay, TSA got more pay, FedEx got more pay... all these random career's got higher pay and hopefully ATC will get a higher jump once the new contract is up.

A lot of ATC'ers are overworked, having to run 6 day work weeks with break times not being ideal. I'm honestly not sure if those "close calls" that show up in the media are showing up more frequently or just the media is more knowledgeable and willing to talk about those things.

jaydawg08

Superstar
Daps
Read the whole thing.. that title is def sensationalist but there is a problem with staffing, which is the gist of this article. Which is why I've tried to tell people about this career as much as possible

The parts about people showing up drunk or on drugs are def not an issue I've ever experienced. For every controller who wants to leave early (I don't know any that are in my area) there are 3-4 who put in extension requests to stay later than 56

Part of issue is that people read these types of articles and think "Hell no I'm not doing that", when in reality the issue is just that there aren't enough controllers in the area and the part that makes it "hard" or "annoying" is working a 2 hrs on with a 30 min break. That wouldn't happen with more people.

The union is pushing for higher pay (in order to attract more people) along with changing some of the training plans and hiring practices (having trainees report directly to the facility instead of OKC)

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Read the whole thing.. that title is def sensationalist but there is a problem with staffing, which is the gist of this article. Which is why I've tried to tell people about this career as much as possible

The parts about people showing up drunk or on drugs are def not an issue I've ever experienced. For every controller who wants to leave early (I don't know any that are in my area) there are 3-4 who put in extension requests to stay later than 56

Part of issue is that people read these types of articles and think "Hell no I'm not doing that", when in reality the issue is just that there aren't enough controllers in the area and the part that makes it "hard" or "annoying" is working a 2 hrs on with a 30 min break. That wouldn't happen with more people.

The union is pushing for higher pay (in order to attract more people) along with changing some of the training plans and hiring practices (having trainees report directly to the facility instead of OKC)
Thanks for the context. I feel like I read another article recently (last month) shytting in air traffic controllers as well. I didn’t post it, but I was smh.

Because I’m thinking with tha type of pay and job stability they should be able to attract talented individuals.

jaydawg08

Superstar
Daps
Thanks for the context. I feel like I read another article recently (last month) shytting in air traffic controllers as well. I didn’t post it, but I was smh.

Because I’m thinking with tha type of pay and job stability they should be able to attract talented individuals.
The part that is hard with hiring is that you never actually know what indicators make a good controller until you actually do it. I've seen a bunch of smart people who know a ton about planes and aviation, are just flat out unable to do the job the same way you need to.. while a warehouse worker or kid who used to work IT is able to

They really tend to put these type of stories out there during holiday season I've noticed, when people actually pay attention to flying