Anybody here go to community college first before going to a 4 year university?

Daps
Reppin
NULL
By plan better, I mean making sure I'm taking credits that will transfer, and once I know what I want to major in, making sure I get all the pre-requisites for that program done in CC. This entails staying on top of your advisor(s) as someone else mentioned. They're human and sometimes they're just lazy and don't give a fukk.

I took longer than 2 years, because I had an advisor that put me in a dumb ass computer class for old people that I didn't need (so I stopped going to her, so I didn't take my math pre-req's at the CC) and I also skipped a couple quarters to work and stack bread for a bit. The advisor situation made me second-guess my college aspirations, but I got it straightened out.

One thing that usually extends people's time at a CC is taking non-college level math and english classes. I fortunately placed into college level for math, reading and writing, but many don't, especially after they haven't gone to school for a while. I advise not worrying about it if you don't place into college level for anything, just work your way up.

Need any more info just let me know. And good luck.

Yeah, I remember back when I first went to a CC I wasn't paying too much attention to anything. I also was in classes that I didn't need to be or should not have been. Like I was in Accounting class I think in my second or third semester.... why, I do not know because I had no aspirations to major in Accounting or anything but luckily I dropped the class before it counted and got my money back.

Yeah, I need to really figure out which Math classes I should be taking because I don't think I've ever really figured that out especially since Math is my weak subject. Because I'm trying to make sure I don't waste anytime when I go back. I want to do what is required so that I can move on and attend a 4 year university.

Sharp

Let That Hoe Go
Daps
I'm a college professor at a community college. There's pros and cons. One of the pros is cost. However, if you live in states that have state universities (New York, ie) it's not really a factor. CC have less students so we get to interact with them more. One downside is the course material at times can be remedial because its not as if the best of the best come to CC. My advice would be to know what 4 year you want to transfer to, and know what credits they require and how they will transfer over. I know many students that had to take classes over at the 4 year because they didnt transfer over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal

Constantine

Et in Arcadia ego...
Daps
Reppin
The "BUCKEYE" Nation
I went for a little while (a year) because I did a lot of bullsh*tting in high school. At the time I wasn't really sure what I wanted to major in (once I got to community college) so I took some time off to just work. I can remember thinking it felt nothing like I'd imagine any "college" to be like. But now that I want an actual career and one that pays well I need to go back, once I get a job again so I can have some money for the classes and my books.

But what was y'all experience like? :ld:
Its good to see you making a thread about something other than basic looking white women. Community college is a great way to acclimate, or reacclimate yourself into college life. You can take most of your general courses, like english, math, and science. Then when you transfer, you'll take most of your core courses. If you learn good study habits from your general courses, you can apply them to your core courses when you transfer. You can't go into it thinking its just a community college, and its gonna be a cakewalk. Higher education has for the past decade hired many professors as adjuncts, associate, or part time professors. This means that a lot of professors who teach at 4 year universities also teach at community colleges, so they're gonna expect you to do the same level of work that their students at 4 year universiites do. A lot of 4 year universities will let you transfer in with say 60, to 90 credits. So when you transfer you'll only have say 45, to 30 credits left. If you wanna go into the medical field, you'll probably need to get a Associate of Science. Community college is a great way to bone up on your study skills and apply them to a 4 year university, but you gonna need to do the work. Just be honest with yourself, and know what your defecits, and defencies are when it comes to studying, and try to correct them.

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
it doesnt make sense to NOT go to a CC first. Youre just throwing money away if you go straight to university.
People hate on them because it may not look good...but most college courses are a waste, and if youre 18/19 you dont know what you want to do w/ your life anyway.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
I did this, it was the best decision I ever made even though it hurt my college social life

I lived at home after high school and went to a community college...shyt was a breeze. I rarely studied or took notes and my grade point was still very high. I had no social life at all because all my friends were gone and I was living in the basement, but fukk it. It saved a ton of money, I had no debt when I left.

I then transferred to a university and it was awkward. I hadn't made any friends yet obviously and everyone else had. I lived in a single person dorm room in the "upperclass" section. Didn't make any friends in the dorm, mainly because old high school buddies were going to the same school and I hung out with them.

I had gotten so used to slacking off at the community college and my studying habits were poor and my grades started looking :huhldup:

But because my grades were so high at the community college, at the end of my total 4 years my cumulative GPA still ended up being respectable :stylin:

I got into a ton of college debt in those 2 years at the university, and had I gone all 4 years my bank account would be looking :stopitslime: right now

Socially though, it didn't get really good for me until college was over and I moved in with a few other guys in a house back in my hometown. They worked retail and had all sluts coming over all the time and parties multiple times weekly. Let's just say I ate well for a while after college

Squirtle

Supreme Chancellor
Daps
Reppin
New York
I got my associates in community college, but the classes won't transfer in my 4 year program
Now you have me worried. I thought as long as you graduate your classes transfer no matter what cause you have a degree now. For example I want to go to Farmingdale for their dental program. But I'm currently at a community college taking the pre reqs for the program. It turns out the pre reqs for Farmingdale are the requirements for an Associates in Health Science so I figured I'd just graduate with that and transfer. Or am I doing somethign wrong? :damn:

Billy Preston

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Now you have me worried. I thought as long as you graduate your classes transfer no matter what cause you have a degree now. For example I want to go to Farmingdale for their dental program. But I'm currently at a community college taking the pre reqs for the program. It turns out the pre reqs for Farmingdale are the requirements for an Associates in Health Science so I figured I'd just graduate with that and transfer. Or am I doing somethign wrong? :damn:

Talk to your schools advisor and bring him/her a printout of Farmingdales pre reqs. Don't assume....

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
knowing what I know now, isn't it better to do 2 years at the CC to get the gen-eds out the way then transfer to the 4 year college due to the amount of monetary savings?????

Poh SIti Dawn

Staying Positive, Getting Better Everyday. Holler!
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is my third year, I've got just these little ass classes to take still. But one thing I must say is double check your schedule, because these advisors do not know what they're talking about. They'll have you signed up for all kinds of classes that you don't need and shyt

big bun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Went to a 4-year for one semester my freshman year and had to transfer back to JC due to academic and athletic reasons. Spent two and a half years at the JC.

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
Gonna spend two years at the community college before doing the other 2 years at a Uni for my engineering major.

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
i did the other way around
4 years at uni then one year at cc which thanks to their co op placement got me my job

cleanface coney

Superstar
Daps
imo college social life is the most overrated experience

you learn waaaaay more in the real world tryna deal with gettin shyt done

CC is a lil more do it yourself and i appreciated that

unless you never left your parents house before or did anything by yourself , being on a college campus is lame except for the females

everything else is overrated

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
there's nothing with cc. but for those of you who say its cheaper. you do know that there's more funding at universities right??