Anybody here go to community college first before going to a 4 year university?

fendi_mane

Banned
Daps
I started taking college courses at a local cc while I was in high school. It was dope because I was getting outta HS early to go and I was fukking with a couple of 20 something year old b1tches and they knew a nicca was 17.

SumBlackguyz

Cacs Gonna Cac
Daps
Reppin
Greensboro, NC
You got to stay on top of your advisors.
I tripple checked what credits transfer over & what credits don't with both the community college & the University.

LOl well why did you take those classes? The whole purpose of going to a CC is to transfer to a 4 year. And you mean to tell me not even your English or Math credits will transfer? That's crazy!!

I took my Gen Ed and some other math Courses at a CC (CalC 2, 3 and Statistics). Waaaay cheaper and I cash flowed it.

It was my choice. My first degree was in automotive technology, and I'm now doing mechanical engineering. All of my English and humanities transferred.

The first degree was really worth it becausei now have all of my Ford certifications. The ase certs were to expensive fit me to take at the time

cleanface coney

Superstar
Daps
depends what type of person you are

i had to think to myself did i wanna take out crazy ass loans and grants for the same classes they giving at a CC for half the price

also you can take 2-3 classes take a break go back its up to you

esp if you tryna get dis money at the same time imo its kina hard to stick yo head in a book and be fulltime tryna get it

when i work fulltime i got o school part time, when i work part time i go to school fulltime
im 2 semesters away from transferin to a major but i saved soooo much money just payin for classes outta pocket and gettin it back come tax time

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah, I actually wen to a 4 year first but B/C of money issues and other shyt I went back to a community college and I'm going back to a 4 year next year.

I wist I would've just went straight to a CC but everything happens for a reason.

I actually liked my teachers at the CC a little more just because a lot of them actually have real life experience in their field. Also its a helluvalot cheaper :blessed::gladbron:.

The only thing I hated about CC was that the social life was wack :shaq2: esp coming from a 4 year.
Not to mention a lotta fine ass btiches who don't talk at all:snoop: But hey maybe thats a good thing b/c you don't want to stay at a CC for too long.

TYBG

Ditty Dum Ditty Doo
Supporter
Daps
The bytches are bad as fukk. Ratchet p*ssy:ahh:

Na but seriously, you have to stay focused. JC is like hs all over again. Some schools have programs where you can get guaranteed admission to schools like UCLA. 3.5+ gpa and alot of community service though.

Go hard, transfer to a top university, get an internship during your jr year, get an offer and slack during senior year:lolbron:

Anbesa

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I got my associates at a 2 year school before going to a major. When i attended I thought i made the wrong decsion, because it felt like an extension of HS (living at home, classes sucked, immature nikkas everywhere), but now i'm glad I did.
I dont have 4 years worth of loans, i got time to choose my major, and now i can focus on classes that matter.

daboywonder2002

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
minnesota
what did jody mama say? leave the nest. i completely understand cc being a cheaper option. but yall act like thats the only option. you got hbcu's. scholarships, grants, in state tuition if you decide to stay local. get your grades up, do more research.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
depends what type of person you are

i had to think to myself did i wanna take out crazy ass loans and grants for the same classes they giving at a CC for half the price

also you can take 2-3 classes take a break go back its up to you

esp if you tryna get dis money at the same time imo its kina hard to stick yo head in a book and be fulltime tryna get it

when i work fulltime i got o school part time, when i work part time i go to school fulltime
im 2 semesters away from transferin to a major but i saved soooo much money just payin for classes outta pocket and gettin it back come tax time

I agree with all of this post. Yeah, when I first went to community college I really wasn't even applying myself at all to the work and classes. But now after working quite a few crappy jobs, I'm ready to go back. But for now I just need another "crappy" job again just to have some money so that I can get back into school and pay for my classes and books. And because I too will also be working and going to school at the same time.

I got my associates at a 2 year school before going to a major. When i attended I thought i made the wrong decsion, because it felt like an extension of HS (living at home, classes sucked, immature nikkas everywhere), but now i'm glad I did.
I dont have 4 years worth of loans, i got time to choose my major, and now i can focus on classes that matter.

Yup, I agree. Back when I first went I thought it was just like high school all over again with the whole being at home, the classes etc. But in the long run, community college is better if the funds aren't there and the grades aren't what they could or should be.

cleanface coney

Superstar
Daps
I agree with all of this post. Yeah, when I first went to community college I really wasn't even applying myself at all to the work and classes. But now after working quite a few crappy jobs, I'm ready to go back. But for now I just need another "crappy" job again just to have some money so that I can get back into school and pay for my classes and books. And because I too will also be working and going to school at the same time.

Yup, I agree. Back when I first went I thought it was just like high school all over again with the whole being at home, the classes etc. But in the long run, community college is better if the funds aren't there and the grades aren't what they could or should be.

imo you learn way more about finessing and networking doin that then your parents sending you off to college for 4 years no problems no nothing...thats a fantasy imo

its good to keep a balance between the real world and the college life cuz alot of people get it twisted and think school is the end all be all to their problems and if they graduate life is gonna be setup for them perfectly

sm0ke

Lin Kuei
Daps
Reppin
Earthrealm
Oh yeah? That's what's up, that's good man. Did it only take exactly two years for you to get your Associate's degree? And as far as "plan better", what would you do differently? Sorry, but I'm completely clueless when it comes to how college works.

By plan better, I mean making sure I'm taking credits that will transfer, and once I know what I want to major in, making sure I get all the pre-requisites for that program done in CC. This entails staying on top of your advisor(s) as someone else mentioned. They're human and sometimes they're just lazy and don't give a fukk.

I took longer than 2 years, because I had an advisor that put me in a dumb ass computer class for old people that I didn't need (so I stopped going to her, so I didn't take my math pre-req's at the CC) and I also skipped a couple quarters to work and stack bread for a bit. The advisor situation made me second-guess my college aspirations, but I got it straightened out.

One thing that usually extends people's time at a CC is taking non-college level math and english classes. I fortunately placed into college level for math, reading and writing, but many don't, especially after they haven't gone to school for a while. I advise not worrying about it if you don't place into college level for anything, just work your way up.

Need any more info just let me know. And good luck.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
imo you learn way more about finessing and networking doin that then your parents sending you off to college for 4 years no problems no nothing...thats a fantasy imo

its good to keep a balance between the real world and the college life cuz alot of people get it twisted and think school is the end all be all to their problems and if they graduate life is gonna be setup for them perfectly

Man, I couldn't have said it any better. I agree.

Now this isn't to say that a lot of great experiences doesn't come with going away to a 4 year university but I think there is a different appreciate for school after either having working different jobs or having to work while going to school as well.

Yeah, I think having that balance between the real world and college is great because it helps to keep everything in perspective.

Pazzy

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I did. I only took one class at the main campus, too. The rest of my classes were at a small extension campus and online. Took a lot of classes with people I knew, so that was cool. I just took enough classes to get an AA and transfer. Finishing up at 4 year now.

If I got another chance, I'd probably still go to the community college and get an AA, but I'd definitely plan better, so I wouldn't have to take pre-req's at a 4 year.
i did. it's crazy how the university i went to had the SAME courses i took at the community college for three times the price. it used to mindfukk me how some people would rather go to the 4 year university to do the same classes instead of the community college. some people would rather put themselves in debt because in a 4 year university, they're all about those loans. in a community college, they'll give you a grant where they'll pay for the classes, you can buy your books and still have money left over. :dead: that's why i just smh @ all these folks that think college is a game where it's about partying, spring break, living in the dorms and shyt especially during these times where there's not enough jobs out here to begin with. paying 20,000 dollars per semester. :usure: it's all about making money at the end of the day. folks look @ me like i'm crazy because i'm complaining about having to own back a 25,000 loan for the three years i was at a university and they have to pay back like 60k for 4 years. :laff:

Steezy

Career 13 ppg scorer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Old Atlanta
i went to city college of san francisco before i decided to go to UofMemphis. i couldnt get in state tuition to go to Cal and i didnt want to go to GA State so i here. it was a fun experience as a 18 year old tho.. fukking asian bytches , going downtown and chilling in san fran and and that ghost town known as oakland.. trips to the mountains and beaches.. it really helped me become more mature as a person/student since i was away from most of my family. CCSF is still kinda expensive but it was less than a rack and i got scholarships because my aunt had mad connects out there. i loved it.. wish i could've stayed