Anybody from Oakland? Depressing ass Documentary

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
oaklands a rough city, i had a few partners from up there. def battled tested veterans coming from that fkin warzone.

poverty n crime will probably never go away, itll just change locations. if oakland ever improves, sadly, it'll be thru gentrification and white movement into the city. the poor mexican n black minorities will b pushed out, and their problems will jus migrate to another area.

Thats exactly what's happening. What pisses me off is, niccas don't even see it, or don't care

andre patton

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SoCal
Thats exactly what's happening. What pisses me off is, niccas don't even see it, or don't care

How do you feel about that tho? We already see it somewhat out in West Oakland.

Take Brooklyn for example. If thats the path Oakland is headed on...I dont know if that really bothers me. I mean yeah the neighborhoods will look different. But they'll become inhabitable again. The businesses and such that I grew up with, that kinda defined Oakland for me would be preserved.

I would never move back to the 20s...or back to High St. and MacArthur Blvd. All the nikkas I grew up with got popped so I dont know the youngsters out there nowadays and them nikkas wild as fukk. nikkas always did dirt, and were always grimey...but back in the 90s we still had a code. We made and followed our own laws in the neighborhood. A lot of the OGs back then wouldnt put up with a lot of shyt I be hearin about nowadays. Some 13-15 year old nikkas, 3 of them, ran up in my grandmas neighbors house in broad daylight. Tied him up, robbed him, raped his wife, then stole his car and crashed it out in Alameda. All this happened at 3pm on Sunday while my grandmother was 2 doors down making Sunday dinner.

Oakland used to be a proud working class city. 70s had working class whites and blacks doin they thang, proud to be from Oakland makin it work in the ghetto n shyt. My uncles used to talk about the 70s like it was a black mans slice of heaven. Oakland nikkas were the toughest nikkas around...LA nikkas would come thru n try to bring up they gangs n shyt get sent home in caskets. Had the flyest pimps in the country. Cleanest cars, best sense of style. Raiders winnin rings...A's winnin rings. Working class blacks and whties...no one was rich but we were all making it work. Even in the late 80s early 90s nikkas was gettin popped left n right but you still had a lot of pride. This was also around the time a lot of the factories n shyt were goin under so a lot of the legal jobs were leaving the city and you could see shyt changing.

I dont get that sense of pride from people that live in Oakland anymore and its a shame. Nowadays you got a lot of nikkas like me: I'm proud to be from Oakland but I'm even more proud I got the fukk outta Oakland. When I run into bay nikkas down here in the San Diego area we reminisce n shyt and have a good ole time talkin about the Town. But we always end the convo with how glad we are we had the opportunity to move down here.

How I feel...its unfortunate our neighborhoods are becoming more white. But the blacks/mexicans/asians that are there right now are destroying it. So if it takes gentrification to preserve whats left of it then so be it.

Still miss that black market tho :ohlawd:

nikkas down here dont really know how we had it. Talkin about gettin anything and everything you wanted...for the low...and never stepping foot in a mall. Back to school shopping meant hittin up the booster bytch in the white van and coppin 10 fresh fits, shoes included, for $300 and an ounce. nikka got his first car at 14 cause some nikka owed my uncle money. :laugh: my shyt got took cause I drove out to the frys in fremont. I was like what the fukk is a car registration? My tags are from 2 years ago cause thats when I got the car right?

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca

Take Brooklyn for example. If thats the path Oakland is headed on...I dont know if that really bothers me. I mean yeah the neighborhoods will look different. But they'll become inhabitable again. The businesses and such that I grew up with, that kinda defined Oakland for me would be preserved.

I would never move back to the 20s...or back to High St. and MacArthur Blvd. All the nikkas I grew up with got popped so I dont know the youngsters out there nowadays and them nikkas wild as fukk. nikkas always did dirt, and were always grimey...but back in the 90s we still had a code. We made and followed our own laws in the neighborhood. A lot of the OGs back then wouldnt put up with a lot of shyt I be hearin about nowadays. Some 13-15 year old nikkas, 3 of them, ran up in my grandmas neighbors house in broad daylight. Tied him up, robbed him, raped his wife, then stole his car and crashed it out in Alameda. All this happened at 3pm on Sunday while my grandmother was 2 doors down making Sunday dinner.

Oakland used to be a proud working class city. 70s had working class whites and blacks doin they thang, proud to be from Oakland makin it work in the ghetto n shyt. My uncles used to talk about the 70s like it was a black mans slice of heaven. Oakland nikkas were the toughest nikkas around...LA nikkas would come thru n try to bring up they gangs n shyt get sent home in caskets. Had the flyest pimps in the country. Cleanest cars, best sense of style. Raiders winnin rings...A's winnin rings. Working class blacks and whties...no one was rich but we were all making it work. Even in the late 80s early 90s nikkas was gettin popped left n right but you still had a lot of pride. This was also around the time a lot of the factories n shyt were goin under so a lot of the legal jobs were leaving the city and you could see shyt changing.

I dont get that sense of pride from people that live in Oakland anymore and its a shame. Nowadays you got a lot of nikkas like me: I'm proud to be from Oakland but I'm even more proud I got the fukk outta Oakland. When I run into bay nikkas down here in the San Diego area we reminisce n shyt and have a good ole time talkin about the Town. But we always end the convo with how glad we are we had the opportunity to move down here.

How I feel...its unfortunate our neighborhoods are becoming more white. But the blacks/mexicans/asians that are there right now are destroying it. So if it takes gentrification to preserve whats left of it then so be it.

nikkas down here dont really know how we had it. Talkin about gettin anything and everything you wanted...for the low...and never stepping foot in a mall. Back to school shopping meant hittin up the booster bytch in the white van and coppin 10 fresh fits, shoes included, for $300 and an ounce. nikka got his first car at 14 cause some nikka owed my uncle money. :laugh: my shyt got took cause I drove out to the frys in fremont. I was like what the fukk is a car registration? My tags are from 2 years ago cause thats when I got the car right?

EXCELLENT POST. I heard about them LA niccas (DJ Quik) niccas specifically trying to bring that lifestyle out here, and them niccas got stomped out. There was a song back in the day (no bloods in crips n Oakland), something like that. As far as gentrification goes, it is needed, and though it is quite unfortunate, like you said, it makes the areas inhabitable again. In Brooklyn (like you said), its going through the same thing. The building BIG lived in are now condos being sold for 750k. Harlem, same thing. When I was there, place was an infestation. Brooklyn was dirty, certain parts. I got fam in Queens and a brother who left Flatbush not too long ago. Oakland needs it. They can start in west Oakland, because it is smaller, and north Oakland, because it is closer to Berkeley and Emeryville. So it is easier. Niccas in east oakland need to watch out. Over there off of Seminary, going towards 580, there are pockets of young, white and Asian families beginning to pop up in the same area. I'm sure some of them go to the same realtor, some different. But the thing is, the realtors are showing them the SAME neighborhood. Look at the lake Merritt area. New restaurant, that ENTIRE lake project is near completion. Downtown, new condos everywhere. New businesses up and down telegraph. They are trying to get it to be as much like SF as possible. West Oakland is full of dilapidated property tht has been renovated and converted to lofts/condos. Property has been there for years, and the niccas in that area have NEVER made a move to rebuild that community. They rather rob, shoot and kill instead of invest. And they are sitting In a central HUB that is worth hundreds of millions in old property, and never made a move. Its like niccas in Africa with all these natural resources, trillions literally, and these niccas beefing over religion, trivial civil wars, etc. had what they needed to take over the world, negotiate, and look. Oakland is the same way. NO black businesses. Chinatown and the Hispanics have their slice with businesses, niccas rather beef over turf, broads and women. It needs it. But the thing is, they are giving a lot of niccas section 8 vouchers, and they are moving way out to the valley, in those homes in Brentwood, Antioch, stockton area and making life miserable in those areas. What's wrong with these people??? In ten years, west and north Oakland will be nearly white. In east Oakland those homes on 98th, 300k Pulte homes??? FULL of crime. You can't have shyt in that place. I'll never go back

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God

RIP and may the violence end.

Last edited by a moderator:

King Poetic

Fire Dave Roberts!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles County, California
Oakland is slums

Blacks either moved down south down where i stay in san jose, alameda, out by concord and antioch and other parts of the bay if they can afford it.

And why lived in oakland if can afford to move elsewhere especially with the cost of living in the bay is one of the worst places to live.. u can buy 2 homes in the south compared to out here

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
didnt the oakland police almost get taken over by the feds?

LezJepzin

We Wavy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
50East/Sacramento, CA

Dapped & repped. I used to go to the town a weekend or more a month when I was a shorty. Walking up on High Street in East Oakland with my cousins for some candy at the corner store without a worry in the world. This was the mid-80s.

Can't even think about being able to do that now. Lost a distant cousin last Summer getting popped coming out of a liquor store off MacArthur. shyt is a warzone but I'll never forget my childhood memories and the stories my parents told me when they grew up in the town. They were in high school, dated and married in the 70s so they knew all about those glory years in Oakland. They knew a guy who was in The Mack, pointing him out during his 15 seconds of fame :lolbron:

brickfare

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
north north
jesus christ, i'm visiting the bay area for the first time in may (staying in oakland close to lake merritt), didn't know shyt was THAT bad in the town. guess i got the wrong idea from past movements like the panthers and occupy. i could stay in memphis and deal with the same fukkery