Any of yall fukk with wifi mesh?

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
@Lord Scarf

i do that cause i also give my tenants wifi and cable in the rent for 50 extra.. 3 tenants and my bill is paid.. anyway..
i dont want them on my computer network with my printer and etc..

i used to have everything on 1 network but i did discover that there is a max wireless device count and since nothings plugged i was getting streaming errorsand buffereing. so i decided to break things up.. i have 400 download and everything smooth now.. i can have 12 plus devices all hd streaming simultaneously with no issues. when my 4 year old you tube kids starts buffering we got problems.. LOL

i was also forced to direct connect my PS4 for PSnow .. being wireless and almost next to the router didnt help.

Last edited:

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
Might get one this weekend

Which one do y'all recommend? I hear about Netgear and Google the most

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I got the Google WiFi from Walmart. A 3 pack for $154. Took out my far more expensive just recently purchased router and put it in. So far it's decent enough that the other router will likely be returned to the store. I still have 14 days to return that other one so I'm thinking I will.

For the record Google WiFi isn't all that great but it's serviceable. I don't really like the fact that the product is so dumbed down that you can't even choose what WiFi channel it uses or you can't have separate 5GHz and 2GHz channel names. Everything is just on one name and the router picks which frequency a device uses. I also don't like the fact that there isn't any sort of web interface and it's all done on an app.

That being said it does what I need it to do and it's far cheaper than the $450 Asus AX89X WiFi 6 router I had that is now dated by the fact that it doesn't have the WiFi 6E 6GHz band that will be on new routers at the end of the year. It's pointless to buy any WiFi 6 router right now because none of them have that 6GHz band.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
@Lord Scarf

i do that cause i also give my tenants wifi and cable in the rent for 50 extra.. 3 tenants and my bill is paid.. anyway..
i dont want them on my computer network with my printer and etc..

i used to have everything on 1 network but i did discover that there is a max wireless device count and since nothings plugged i was getting streaming errorsand buffereing. so i decided to break things up.. i have 400 download and everything smooth now.. i can have 12 plus devices all hd streaming simultaneously with no issues. when my 4 year old you tube kids starts buffering we got problems.. LOL

i was also forced to direct connect my PS4 for PSnow .. being wireless and almost next to the router didnt help.

do you use QOS for you tenants and have you ever received letters from your ISP regarding copyrighted materials being downloaded on the network?

bnew

Veteran
Daps
I got the Google WiFi from Walmart. A 3 pack for $154. Took out my far more expensive just recently purchased router and put it in. So far it's decent enough that the other router will likely be returned to the store. I still have 14 days to return that other one so I'm thinking I will.

For the record Google WiFi isn't all that great but it's serviceable. I don't really like the fact that the product is so dumbed down that you can't even choose what WiFi channel it uses or you can't have separate 5GHz and 2GHz channel names. Everything is just on one name and the router picks which frequency a device uses. I also don't like the fact that there isn't any sort of web interface and it's all done on an app.

That being said it does what I need it to do and it's far cheaper than the $450 Asus AX89X WiFi 6 router I had that is now dated by the fact that it doesn't have the WiFi 6E 6GHz band that will be on new routers at the end of the year. It's pointless to buy any WiFi 6 router right now because none of them have that 6GHz band.

wouldn't having two different SSID's defeat the point of having a Mesh network? unless you mean you'd like 2.4ghz to have it's own mesh and 5ghz to it's own mesh.

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
either one configured with wireless uplink?
Yeah my NanoHD is the base station connected to my router and it serves as the base for the LR to connect to. I don’t have wired Ethernet in my house and my network is set up in the far corner of my house so I had to get the LR to have full coverage. If I had it centralized and had the NanoHD in the center of the house, I doubt I’d need another AP.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
wouldn't having two different SSID's defeat the point of having a Mesh network? unless you mean you'd like 2.4ghz to have it's own mesh and 5ghz to it's own mesh.
I've caught my phone on the 2GHz network for no reason when it could use the 5GHz. You're just not gonna get those same great speeds on 2GHz. I'd prefer everything use 5GHz.

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
I've caught my phone on the 2GHz network for no reason when it could use the 5GHz. You're just not gonna get those same great speeds on 2GHz. I'd prefer everything use 5GHz.

most devices will default to the 2GHz.

its best to broadcast 2 ssid if you want to use exclusive 5GHz