Antoine Fuqua to direct Scarface Remake (Based in Present Day LA)

King Crimson

Member of a very exclusive gang
Daps
Reppin
Bk/NY
Fuqua my dude but this remake shyt need to STOP...

Scarface doesn't need a remake...
Word. I'm not even a Scarface fan on that level, but this seems like a setup. This movie could have been any other film by any other title and would have been good. Once you put the Scarface name on it, it dooms it. I really wish Fuqua didn't take this gig.

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Certain movies should be barred from remakes. Movies where any generation can watch it.

The Godfather, Goodfellas, Home Alone 1 and 2, Silence of the Lambs, Forrest Gump, Shawshank Redemption, etc

They could honestly make this movie and just not call it Scarface and not have the main character named Tony Montana.

Hollywood needs to start picking up more original scripts.

Wise

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
With RICO laws of today, there won't be any big bankers laundering money at TD Bank or Wells Fargo like in the 80s film.

Please, I hope there aren't any cameos from DePalma's version.

New Scarface: "Eh, that is my Uncle Tony, he was a shot caller from back in the day"
Pacino Scarface: "Something like that"

I just can't see it being successful tbh as Feds are certainly more aware of PC and trafficking now...

They had a scene like that in Carlito's Way which I believed was more dope than Scarface

FreedMind

DOPAMINE FOR MY BABY!!
Daps
Reppin
hella international
what makes de Palma's scarface so memorable to me is the Miami backdrop. The excess and extravagance, I could drown in the colors used in that film.:banderas:

If they make this film exclusively an over the top action flick, I'm gonna be disappointed. I want to see that absurd opulence in 2016.

jay211

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
With RICO laws of today, there won't be any big bankers laundering money at TD Bank or Wells Fargo like in the 80s film.

Please, I hope there aren't any cameos from DePalma's version.

New Scarface: "Eh, that is my Uncle Tony, he was a shot caller from back in the day"
Pacino Scarface: "Something like that"

I just can't see it being successful tbh as Feds are certainly more aware of PC and trafficking now...

Banks launder cartel money all the time in this day and age. Read about HSBC banking scandal involving the Mexican cartels.

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
Banks launder cartel money all the time in this day and age. Read about HSBC banking scandal involving the Mexican cartels.

Yeah, I meant, bringing in huge dufflebags of money ala Manny and Co. just wouldn't work to be even semi-plausible. You know as well as I the biggest crooks don't look like Tony Montana...

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Or this flick from '91 with what's his name...ah...Wesley Snipes...think he played Tony Montana as Nino Brown and it was called New Jack City
Tony was an anti-hero just wanting a slice of the American dream same as leiguzamo character, Nino was a straight up villian who led a gang

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Or this flick from '91 with what's his name...ah...Wesley Snipes...think he played Tony Montana as Nino Brown and it was called New Jack City

Thank You, the so called "Black Scarface" was already made by a Black Director (Mario Van Peeples) and was a black writer. And It's Classic. Again Fuqua will always get love from me but this sounds like a "Studio" project that was given to him, I could be wrong but I don't see what a remake 33 years later is going to do. NOBODY is asking for "Scarface" to be remade just as nobody cared to see Carlito Prequel Past. There are certain films that seem to trancend time to the point a remake is pointless (Back to the future or Godfather better never be remade). Also someone mentioned how the Miami/80's backdrop is also what made the film. That's true, "Setting" is important. Current day LA, Sorry not as grimey LA 20 years ago and damn sure not as grimey as Miami in the early 80's.

Now when they did "New Jack City", that was NY during the Crack Epedmic which plague black communities across the nation. Not the Hipster gentification going on now. Plus Wesley gave that chirsima and made you like the Villian just like Pacnio did. Also don't get it twisted, I know Al has several of performances better than "Scarface" but the honest truth, he only has 1 performance more impactful and culturally relevent and that's Michael in the Godfather Trilogy. I though he was better than "Carlito's Way" personally and it was better directed by De Palma but that doesn't change the cultural impact of his "Scarface" performance. People need to stop acting like making a "Classic", "Iconic" or "Legendary" art is some simple process. It takes a lot of talent, magic in a bottle and the right team which "Scarface" had. Talking about "Scarface" let's see it top Nino at the Carter first aiight?, lol:

500px-NJC089.jpg

220px-New_jack_city.jpg

tumblr_nubqnoUOTC1r5emlbo1_1280.jpg

"Say Hello to my little friend"

"Am I my brother's Keeper"