He Who Posts Well

Superstar
Daps
EA commits to March 2019 release for BioWare's Anthem

It's happening.

Wesley Yin-Poole

Deputy Editor

@wyp100
EA has committed to a March 2019 release for BioWare's Anthem.

During a financial call with analysts last night, EA's Blake Jorgensen said Anthem "will be shipped in the last quarter of the year and in the last month of that quarter". EA's financial year runs from April to March, which means Anthem will be squeezed out just in time to contribute revenue to the company's bottom line for the current financial year.

Anthem is set to release in Mass Effect's traditional launch slot. (Mass Effect Andromeda came out in March 2017, Mass Effect 3 came out in March 2012.) EA and BioWare will be hoping Anthem doesn't suffer the same fate as Andromeda, of course, which failed to set tills alight.

Interestingly, Jorgensen said EA was "being conservative" when it comes to Anthem's potential success - for a few reasons. One, it's a new intellectual property. Two, because Anthem comes out right at the end of EA's financial year, the company will probably have limited restocking of the game, "even if it's extremely successful".

"We're very excited about the game," Jorgensen added. "It's extremely unique, and I think players are going to really enjoy playing it, but we're careful not to put too large of a forecast in there. And clearly, it will impact this year as well as next year as we not only continue to sell more into the next year but start rolling out the live services associated with that game."

So, what do we know about Anthem? Well, we know it revolves around co-op, and that it is "a fundamentally social experience". By all accounts it's BioWare's take on Bungie's Destiny, a game intended to be played with friends for years. Here's how it looked, circa E3 2017:

EA commits to March 2019 release for BioWare's Anthem

_________

So it sounds like if the game is ready or not, it's going to get released....

landscape-1489773501-andromeda.gif

He Who Posts Well

Superstar
Daps
So would I be able to play this game by myself or is co-op mandatory?

On his latest blog post, Casey Hudson clarified that you can either play solo or multiplayer. In a few weeks, we are going to get to see what the game looks and plays like at EA Play. The blog post is below:

With Anthem we’re taking this problem head-on and structuring the entire game design to provide a specific solution for this. We’ll be sharing details on how it works very soon. We think it creates a unique experience where you have control over your own story, but your story is set in an ever-changing multiplayer world. And yes, even though Anthem is meant to bring out the best parts of playing as part of an online community, you can choose to play through the story with only your friends, or even on your own.

It’s true—we’re trying something really different here. Anthem represents one way to deliver innovation and new experiences in the spirit of our mission. We also have teams envisioning future BioWare games, and they’re designing approaches that are different from Anthem—including one that’s very Dragon Age. As we try new things, I hope that you’ll come on the journey with us, and continue asking questions that will help shape Antheminto something we’ll all love to play.

In a few weeks, we will be showing Anthem live to fans at EA PLAY in Hollywood and will have lots more details to share. The team is working super hard to get ready, and I can’t wait to hear what you think!

http://blog.bioware.com/2018/05/10/creating-worlds-the-future-of-bioware/