Antebellum (Starring Janelle Monáe) 2020 Movie

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I actually really thought the opening scene/long take was really well shot.

The idea was interesting, but gotta agree they did nothing with it whatsoever. At the end of the movie I kept thinking they got another 30 to 40 mins to really flesh out this half baked movie.

☃ ೋ

Superstar
Daps
I knew something was off in the beginning when they showed one of the slaves with a septum nose ring piercing.

Bruh, just watched this movie last night. Something seemed :patrice: to me when that yellow bone slave first came into the picture. I was like hmm, thats one sassy slave, or this bytch just cant act:mjlol:

Pinyapplesuckas

He's A Good Man
Daps
Reppin
Willacoochee, Ga
this was ok. def had the obv heavy handed pandering that you get in slave movies. i never feel comfortable watching these but the potential time travel element and just overal question mark over the premise made me interested. i'd give it a 2/5. the scene with the 3 slave owners in the room was a good payoff. ultimately the movie felt rushed and just half done. nothing is fleshed out. most characters dont even have names and almost no one ever references their "past life".

i can say that Janelle Monae is a much better actor than alot of these other singers and crossover actors. this movie is not a great film but she still carries it and i think did a good job overall. it's not an easy role to play and she pretty much has to play 2 dif people since it has the 2 "timelines"

after this tho i'm pretty much over them using our pain for any type of movie..i was already sick of slave movies but now i dont wanna see any sci fi or science related racial shyt either. i'll give Jordan Peele another shot because he's legit and can prob make somehting good but everyone else is just trying to hop on this bandwagon or using his fame to push their own shyt (every blumhouse movie post get out)

Bruce LeRoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
Everything about this movie was so damn under developed, the plot, the characters, etc. The only reason to somewhat care for the main character is because of the horrible circumstances she is forced to be in. The way they present the villain at the end like they are some sort of epic arch nemesis when they are only seen prior in 2 other scenes that maybe add up to about 2 minutes of screen time total...:mjlol:

This is why most music video directors need to stick to music videos.. They don't know how to build anything cinematically and are only good for stunning visuals.

Numerous mentions oft "patriachy", "intersectionality" and black women dealing with the worst.. but then the film contradicts itself by depicting the black man as the most vulnerable and weakest in the movie.. The one other black male character in the film that gets some screen time, he gets mocked and assaulted all throughout and it's set up as if he's going to get some sort of revenge and then... he just gets his ass kicked again.:dead:

Coolin'

All Star
Daps
I literally just finished and feel like I wasted an hour and 46 minutes. Janelle and Gabourey did great but the film itself was a train wreck.

I’d say more but not sure if we’re using spoiler tags, and I don’t have time for that tonight.

:yeshrug:

Bruce LeRoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
Wait is the plot basically kidnapping black women from modern times and transporting them back to slavery? :mjlol:
Edit: Wait the plot is basically stolen from that boondocks episode in season four where the freeman’s are basically forced to work at a slavery them park to pay off debts? :dead:

It's more like the reverse version of Drop Squad, except instead of the main character being a successful black man who is a sellout/c00n that works in corporate advertising. It's a "woke" black women who is a successful author that criticizes white supremacy/racism.

VladTheImpaler

The Sensational Prince
Daps
Reppin
The Palace of Eternal Sun
Movie was decent, but they could have developed the plot more.
Seems like there were some supernatural elements going on in that hotel, yet magically that concept was never touched on again in the film. Random.

Overall 3 our of 5 - Average to Decent

Daps
Don’t see why so many are acting like this is the worst movie ever.

It’s straight. Dope idea that could have been executed better, but it was still entertaining. :ehh: