Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania starring Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly, Jonathan Majors, & Bill Murry Feb 17th, 2023

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Evangeline Lilly aged 15 years when she shaved her head. she looks pretty bad these days. for all the shyt her hair gets in the movies, she looks 10x worse irl
Holy shyt breh
8736bbfccb9b3ba677354e10d32558e970-evangelinelilly.1x.rsquare.w1400.jpg

VoxSphere74

Banned
Daps
And she's only 43. Cacs really do age like milk. :scust:

This has got to be Loveness putting this out to save his job. :mjlol:

Nah too late man. You messed up Kang's introduction.

Also Strange is trash. And his fight with the other Strange throwing musical notes at him in Multiverse of Madness was :scust:

Last edited:

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@O.Red

@Wild self

What are the top 10 movies that you have ever seen that have the greatest heroes journeys for men?
TEN? I ain't naming ten movies breh:pachaha:

But in line with your question I would offer a general context of what makes a hero journey and a strong male protagonist . When you know the guidelines you'll find them in most movies, notably the classics

The hero's journey in the simplest terms is just conquering fear and and gaining competence. These are the foundations of masculinity. When you see bum ass Luke Skywalker on a Tattooine he's nothing. He's then compelled to shake his complacency (fear) and leave his hole to discover more the more he learns about the Empire the better he has to become, thus gaining competence. He then has to take that competence and face the villian. The lesson here is surpassing fear and gaining competence gains you rewards.(accolades, status, the girl etc)

On the other hand look at a character like Finn based on how he was initially promoted. You thought you were getting a black Jedi but what did we get? Finn is a coward for 2/3rds of the movie. A hero in training starting off as a coward is not a bad thing but he's supposed to gradually pass certain checkpoints of confidence. Finn doesn't do this till late in the movie and it doesn't matter because Finn never becomes competent at anything. What's the result? When time comes for the hero shyt to happen Finn is :dead: . Incompetent and a coward=no accolades, no girl, no boy/man wants to be you

Finn was the beta test of degrading the male character to elevate the woman that Disney has now gone full steam with and this is why it's not resonating with men

It's not just about displaying caricatures of strong women, because in that formula you also have to prominently display incompetent men. To reference my earlier post:

In stories for boys the conflict is their incompetence, in stories for girls the conflict is the incompetence of everyone else

If you look at the heroes journey through this lens you'll see the formula in whatever you watch which is why I felt no need to name movies but this post so long I probably should've just named the ten fukkin movies:mjlol:

I also probably should've used an MCU example but I'll do it in another post. I use Star Wars a lot because it's so simple and has alot of the basic beats of good storytelling

Last edited:

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
TEN? I ain't naming ten movies breh:pachaha:

But in line with your question I would offer a general context of what makes a hero journey and a strong male protagonist . When you know the guidelines you'll find them in most movies, notably the classics

The heros journey in the simplest terms is just conquering fear and and gaining competence. These are the foundations of masculinity. When you see bum ass Luke Skywalker on a Tattooine he's nothing. He's then compelled to shake his complacency (fear) and leave his hole to discover more the more he learns about the Empire the better he has to become, this gaining competence. He then has to take that competence and face the villian. The lesson here is surpassing fear and gaining competence gains you rewards.(accolades, status, the girl etc)

On the other hand look at a character like Finna based on how he was initially promoted. You thought you were getting a black Jedi but what did we get? Finn is a coward for 2/3rds of the movie. A hero in training starting off as a coward is not a bad thing but he's supposed to gradually pass certain checkpoints of confidence. Finn doesn't do this till late in the movie and it doesn't matter because Finn never becomes competent at anything. What's the result? When time comes for the hero shyt to happen Finn is :dead: . Incompetent and a coward=no accolades, no girl, no boy/man wants to be you

Finn was the beta test of degrading the male character to elevate the woman that Disney has now gone full steam with and this is why it's not resonating with men

It's not just about displaying caricatures of strong women, because in that formula you also have to prominently display incompetent men. To reference my earlier post:

In stories for boys the conflict is their incompetence, in stories for girls the conflict is the incompetence of everyone else

If you look at the heroes journey through this lens you'll see the formula in whatever you watch which is why I felt no need to name movies but this post so long I probably should've just named the ten fukkin movies:mjlol:

I also probably should've used an MCU example but I'll do it in another post. I use Star Wars a lot because it's so simple and has alot the basic beats of good storytelling

@O.Red that was beautiful! Dope post! 😎

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A good example of a man surpassing fear and gaining competence in the MCU, fittingly enough, is the first Iron Man but it's also an interesting take on the formula

Tony Stark is already fearless and competent. He already has what most men would want and would consider a hero and he's forced to face his actions and decide that he may be wrong

Tony is thrown into a terrifying scenario. Nikka wakes up in a cave with no heart, and a terrorist is telling him to build this missile or die. Tony has to surpass that fear and test his competence if he wants to survive. Tony builds the suit, accessing a new level of competence and escapes

Tony is now faced with the fear of considering that he's a death merchant. He wants to be better so he defiantly shyts down the military weapons. It's not defiance just for the sake of. He builds the suit, scenes of trial and error to show him GAINING competence. This part is very important and the reason characters like Riri don't work. We don't see her learning or being challenged. It ain't enough to just show an uncontested genius

Tony is forced out of his comfort zone and his introspection forces his him to become a hero. He goes throughout the movie, and the MCU, asking himself the same questions to varying results. His desire to help the world has done great things but also created shyt like Ultron. His competence is always challenged and he rises to the occasion. THIS is what makes heroes boys aspire to be

Conquering fear and gaining competence is a foundational aspect of what men require in stories because manhood in real life is defined by those same traits. It's the reason we love Goku and 80s action movies. It's the reason nikkas get hype at Rocky training montages

When you remove this key element from these movies you end up with the bullshyt we have now. And you lose boys and men

Last edited:

Dave24

Superstar
Daps
@O.Red you can also apply it to Cobra Kai. Like Robby or Miguel's journey. When Robby in the first episode of Season 4 whooped ass on the Cobra Kai dojo 😎😎

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@O.Red you can also apply it to Cobra Kai. Like Robby or Miguel's journey. When Robby in the first episode of Season 4 whooped ass on the Cobra Kai dojo 😎😎
This is one of the main reasons I love Cobra Kai.

At first you get drawn into the novelty and ridiculousness of it, but what keeps you is the amazing writing

When you look at a character like Robbie Cobra Kai is a better Star Wars story than the last trilogy:pachaha: and yea you see the dedication they have to giving such a large cast compelling story arcs

You see characters like Miguel, Hawk, and Demitri facing fears and challenges and fighting past them. And what happened when they defeated fear and gained competence? They got the respect of their peers and the baddest bytches in school:russ:. It's so simple but that's why it works