ANNIHILATION (Official Thread)(on UK Netflix now)

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
Just got done watching it. Very MEH outside of the 20 minutes of pure visual and audio glory

That short chunk of the film was a 10/10 but the movie as a whole was a 7/10.

It's closest spiritual cousin (Arrival) asked profound philisophical questions, while this movie asked nothing from the viewer. And if you are going to ask nothing from the viewer, you better at least keep them entertained.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Just got done watching it. Very MEH outside of the 20 minutes of pure visual and audio glory

It's closest spiritual cousin (Arrival) asked profound philisophical questions, while this movie asked nothing from the viewer. And if you are going to ask nothing from the viewer, you better at least keep them entertained.
like what? :mjlol: people really acting like time as a flat circle is some new shyt

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps

Stalker(1979)...

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
like what? :mjlol: people really acting like time as a flat circle is some new shyt
Are you serious? Did you not pay attention to that movie?

The science fiction aspect was merely a backdrop. I'm not sure why you said 'time is a flat circle' thats not even what I'm talking about.

taker597

Superstar
Daps
The one thing that I can't figure out... Is the time lapse describe by crew when entering the shimmer. Also, the shimmer having a time distortion field really throws me in for a loop to find the purpose of it other than it being something pretty cool.

I'm really leaning towards the time distortion have no real meaning to be honest other than flying or sea bound short cut to the lighthouse would probably end in death.

Also, I heard complaints by the whole not wearing suits when they've done multiple expeditions and clearly have smartest people in the world studying it. It's safe to say that they reached a logical conclusion to that and the audience shouldn't need to be spoon fed details on that. Plus, suits wouldn't help anyways. Would of fukked with their genes just like everything else.

The film spends a lot of time telegraphing not only the headstrong motive of redemption of her infidelity on Portman's character, but also... Why you shouldn't trust anything she says or narrates. When the film takes 4 minutes to call her a liar. Which also a double move in the narrative. It refracts back to not only lying/keeping secrets to her team, but also possibly lying about her infidelity to her husband. It's kind of funny how you sometimes you want to root for this bytch... but then the film just oddly reminds you that you shouldn't like her. PERIOD. Which didn't make sense in the manner with her being in an interrogation. It's not like she would tell that dude about her dreams or her infidelity. SO, those scenes didn't fit, but ultimately had to be forced for the sake of her psychological journey through the film.

Also, something cute about the imagery of the creature mimicking her. In her confrontation in the lighthouse... it's not only film main plot point at stake, but her psychological battle. The creature being a mimic of herself is just a clever physical manifestation of her own demon simply being herself. It seems fitting her last enemy in her path to redemption was her. In the end, she watched herself die and became reborn as something new.

The next question is... How different is a creature with these two mixed breed of creatures with Oscar and Portman's character? We know Oscar is creature with human dna and Portman is the reverse... Are they really different?

I think I figured out the time distortion field... Much like how Weeks:months from... What also feels like when something distorts times as minutes really turns into hours? Dreams. Dreams get mention a lot in this film. Not only that... You'll constantly black out into a dream with no recollection of thinking you're in a dream. Which is also another strange occurrence that happens when they first enter the shimmer. Where they somehow skip several days without knowing. Very much so like they woke up from a dream.

IN a way... The Shimmer does give off that dream world-like representation. It's very abstract, but in a way... does feel grounded enough to be believable. Explaining how this relate to everything from the psychological and physical aspect of the plot. Well, that seems to be daunting to figure out. I don't know much about dreams or how they work, but I feel it might relate to key moments.

Also, watch the tattoo... it switches and moves a lot. It's also symbolic. It's a snake eating it's own tail in an infinity symbol pattern. Most of ya'll probably know the meaning of it. Or simple google.

If they said Kane was in a year relative to Lena was only in their 4 months for about two weeks. So, Kane was probably in the shimmer for 8-12 weeks. His mind lasting as long as it did is pretty remarkable. It's interesting that the least intelligent of the group was the one to succumb to dementia like symptoms first in a matter of 8-9 days.

Gonna wait another week for a rewatch at home, but that soundtrack when the Lighthouse just has to be experience in film. Bonafide cinema experience

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Really enjoyed this.

Film was much more of a sci fi horror film than I was expecting,with huge influences from invasion of the body snatchers and the thing.

It's really hard to discuss this without spoiling it,though I'm noticing people rudely just typing out the whole movie already without spoiler tags in this thread.:francis:

One thing I will say is I honestly wish they went deeper into the science aspects,and I wish we got some more creative creatures.

I Can easily envision this as a film I watch yearly.
9/10

Dominic Brehetto

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Keep waiting then, I'm not going to waste my time
When people say this,it's usually because they can't back up what they're saying. Just saying. Engaging with someone as a rebuttal,and then when called to elaborate just to say you're not wasting your time screams you don't actually have anything. :yeshrug:

Last edited:

Dominic Brehetto

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
You know why I'm unimpressed by Arrival? Because the performances were absolutely trash - and I dare you to say otherwise. There isn't a single solid moment in the film outside of the ending.

Everything from the first contact to the character interactions is dead and bland. Arrival could've been thrown into a 30-45 minute short and lost nothing of substance because the film is remarkably empty. Its a great story with a fun twist, but as a film? That shyt was boring - and like most of that director's work boring is a theme. Great shots, editing, and overall presentation don't cap off a movie. Denis' last good show of tension or solid performance was in Sicario. Denis jocking is mindblowing to me. I liked some of his earlier stuff, but I'm not gonna pretend that his last two movies weren't beautiful long lines at the DMV.

But aside from that :ld:

This is up there with Contact and Abyss
Denis is cool. Becoming a bit over rated but doesn't bother me that much. He's certainly a very talented director with a beautiful eye for shot composition which is something a lot of directors just have absolutely no talent at.

Enemy was absolute trash though.