ANNIHILATION (Official Thread)(on UK Netflix now)

KRiLL (+)

Yo! Ho! Ho!
Daps
Reppin
Straw Hat Pirates
IS THIS shyt ONLINE ANYWHERE BREHS :lupe:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
somebody help a breh out...
Je2xpdb.png

taker597

Superstar
Daps
Really wish they would of emphasize a bit better on Portman's character narrating the sequence of events in a interrogation. It throwing in random flashblacks kind of misdirect that with scenes honestly don't fit in the film and feels like the film needed those scenes, but they couldn't really find a suitable place for it with how the introduction is structure.

BUT if I take away those wonky flashbacks that honestly don't make sense in the nature of narration. I loved it to be honest.

taker597

Superstar
Daps
However long I want....so I liked the movie..didnt really get the ending tho....
either Portman was the creature the whole time and lied(Which is strongly hinted at in 2nd act closing moments that she is a liar) and give us a sort of Adam & Eve type imagery. Or the most likely conclusion is the DNA of the creature got absorbed by her. The only for sure conclusion is that the husband is dead and the creature is mimicking him.

The whole interrogation gets off the rails with some illogical flashbacks that throws off that Portman is narrativing her story.

Just gives you the right amount of mystique to question everything in the reality of the film. Which I ultimately feel that is the main purpose.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I like it more now that I slept on it. Coming out of the theater I was not sure. I knew the last 20 min were dope and things i liked about it but it's a slooooow burn. It's definitely not as entertaining or accessible as Ex Machina was. I rated it a 7 after the theater. I think it may be an 8 now.

taker597

Superstar
Daps
The one thing that I can't figure out... Is the time lapse describe by crew when entering the shimmer. Also, the shimmer having a time distortion field really throws me in for a loop to find the purpose of it other than it being something pretty cool.

I'm really leaning towards the time distortion have no real meaning to be honest other than flying or sea bound short cut to the lighthouse would probably end in death.

Also, I heard complaints by the whole not wearing suits when they've done multiple expeditions and clearly have smartest people in the world studying it. It's safe to say that they reached a logical conclusion to that and the audience shouldn't need to be spoon fed details on that. Plus, suits wouldn't help anyways. Would of fukked with their genes just like everything else.

The film spends a lot of time telegraphing not only the headstrong motive of redemption of her infidelity on Portman's character, but also... Why you shouldn't trust anything she says or narrates. When the film takes 4 minutes to call her a liar. Which also a double move in the narrative. It refracts back to not only lying/keeping secrets to her team, but also possibly lying about her infidelity to her husband. It's kind of funny how you sometimes you want to root for this bytch... but then the film just oddly reminds you that you shouldn't like her. PERIOD. Which didn't make sense in the manner with her being in an interrogation. It's not like she would tell that dude about her dreams or her infidelity. SO, those scenes didn't fit, but ultimately had to be forced for the sake of her psychological journey through the film.

Also, something cute about the imagery of the creature mimicking her. In her confrontation in the lighthouse... it's not only film main plot point at stake, but her psychological battle. The creature being a mimic of herself is just a clever physical manifestation of her own demon simply being herself. It seems fitting her last enemy in her path to redemption was her. In the end, she watched herself die and became reborn as something new.

The next question is... How different is a creature with these two mixed breed of creatures with Oscar and Portman's character? We know Oscar is creature with human dna and Portman is the reverse... Are they really different?

Clark Wayne

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
FL
Saw this for the hell of it. Didn’t see a trailer and haven’t even seen Ex-Machina. Only thing I knew was the cast.

Glad I did. Overall pretty good movie although I felt the first act could have been a bit better. That score at the end, along with the visuals was:ohlawd:

The bear scene is :damn:

Portman and Gina Rodriguez held it down.:salute:

Ice Cold

King of Blades
Daps
Watched it yesterday with my broski actually liked it a lot generated some pretty good discussion.
I really liked Gina Rodriguez didn't know Jane the Virgin was so cute might have to check out her show
I'm unclear if she was chatting on Poe before he went to the shimmer I'm assuming yes but the scene clearly takes place afterwards
the final act she clearly is telling tall tales
We thought that Poe was the sperm and now padme is the egg not these aliens bout to start reproducing

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Saw this for the hell of it. Didn’t see a trailer and haven’t even seen Ex-Machina. Only thing I knew was the cast.

Glad I did. Overall pretty good movie although I felt the first act could have been a bit better. That score at the end, along with the visuals was:ohlawd:

The bear scene is :damn:

Portman and Gina Rodriguez held it down.:salute:
I thought Rodriguez was the standout

Busby

Real name no gimmicks..
Daps
Reppin
San Jose, Cali
Saw this movie last night and the last 20 minutes had me like :dwillhuh::merchant::leon::mindblown:

The movie surprised me. Like i seen the trailers but i wasn’t expecting the film to legit have me intrigued from beginning to end.

Gina Rodriguez’s performance lowkey drove the movie. She got a bright future in drama/action movies if she ever wants to continue with it. And she was looking :shaq: whenever she started cussing..

But other then that...this film was lowkey dope.