Andre 3000 Thinks He’s Gotten Too Old To Rap

King Karim

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I like how you keep dropping this as if it's going to make it true while conveniently avoiding logical counter arguments :sas2:
im not avoiding the arguement but some people just feel how they feel and so do i.

all the "trendy" rappers are under 30 for the very most part.

King Karim

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That receipt game
21o3bb6.jpg

@King Karim :peeumad:
read and then comprehend doggy

Illin Degenerate

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Anybody else feel like Idlewild flopping probly soured him on making new material? :patrice:
possibly to a lesser degree. he soured on the business aspect a long time ago, promotions, touring, performing in general. i dont know if it flopping bothered either one of them as much as they felt the record label and the movie studio sabotaged both projects. if i recall the record label was trying to piggyback almost completely off of the studio's promotion which pissed off the studio and led to them pulling the plug shortly after the release. big and dre were also complaining about the # of theaters the film was being shown in. personally i think they made awful single choices leaving pj & rooster and the train pt2 on the bench that could have made it a little more successful despite it being a soundtrack and not being kast album quality.

i think andre is a bit self conscious, he feels his past is a burden, he doesnt want to repeat it but he also doesnt want to compete against it. the further he gets away from those days of album making the harder its going to be to commit himself to doing it.

Last edited:

tDames

Pro
Daps
Probably scared of this weird ass music market we got. It's harder to sell than what it used to be

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
so called hip-hop fans who subscribe to this "rap is young mans game" line of thinking simply don't respect hip-hop as music or an art form.

hip-hop is a young mans game if you trivialize it as nothing more than club music or shyt to "bump in the whip", but hip-hop is more than that if you had a true appreciation for the genre.

but then again, a lot dudes in the booth don't actually like music anyways. they're into the culture more than the actual music itself.

I've said this so many times myself. Most of these dudes don't even really like rap. They're more into the lifestyles and images of these rappers.

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
Why does hip hop frown upon people participating in the creation of music after a certain age?
You don't see that in any other genre of music. What does age have to do with a person's creative ability?
This mindset in hip hop that it's only for teenagers and people in their 20's has always been crazy to me.
It almost screams white supremacy/conspiracy to me.
Like a mental conditioning designed to destroy a powerful genre that has proven to be able to move the entire culture.

Its because of the content in most rap music thats pushed to the masses. Hiphop's stereotype is that its an extremely "juvenile" artform due to the subject matter in lots of the music. What other genre of music can you turn your radio on and hear "Percocet....Molly, Percocet"? What other genre of music do you routinely hear glorifying gun violence and selling dope? What other genre do you hear promoting being reckless and irresponsible with your money?

Hip-hop is viewed as an inferior artform from a maturity, class and intellectual viewpoint by outsiders/casuals.

Being older and associated with hip-hop can have a negative stigma.

You bring up "white supremacy" later in the post, well its not too far-fetched once you look at who actually controls hip-hop and the major media outlets.

"Hip-hop" itself has been extremely demonized. Its not viewed as a "mature", "classy" and "intellectual" artform.

Well you may say, "what's so classy about rock, those artists are still eating in their 60's?" :jbhmm:

Well, those artists are WHITE. Blackness itself has been successfully demonized.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Its because of the content in most rap music thats pushed to the masses. Hiphop's stereotype is that its an extremely "juvenile" artform due to the subject matter in lots of the music. What other genre of music can you turn your radio on and hear "Percocet....Molly, Percocet"? What other genre of music do you routinely hear glorifying gun violence and selling dope? What other genre do you hear promoting being reckless and irresponsible with your money?

Hip-hop is viewed as an inferior artform from a maturity, class and intellectual viewpoint by outsiders/casuals.

You bring up "white supremacy" later in the post, well its not too far-fetched once you look at who actually controls hip-hop and the major media outlets.

"Hip-hop" itself has been extremely demonized. Its not viewed as a "mature", "classy" and "intellectual" artform.

Well you may say, "what's so classy about rock, those artists are still eating in their 60's?" :jbhmm:

Well, those artists are WHITE. Blackness itself has been successfully demonized.
Good points.
As to the beginning of your comment, there is plenty of examples of middle aged white bands talking about gun violence and drugs. The difference is, when a white band says these things, they speak in code, and typically sing the lyrics in a way that kids won't catch on a first or second listen. Hip Hop tells a lot of the same stories except they get straight to the point.
Remove the genres and the content is generally the same.
This reminds me of how fox news tried to paint Common as a terrorist when he was invited to the white house but they gave every other white artist who had much more violent content in their music a pass.

Last edited:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..

But AnDRE 3000 should know better. Being he's not a casual. He's actually considered a legendary artist within the genre. But don't ask what other genre and then turn around and answer ur own question. An answer u could've lead with from the beginning. They white and we black. There's 2 music genres that talk about all that. Both rock and country. What aggravates me is that the balance in hip hop is so low in the mainstream at this point that it's damn near impossible to defend hip hop the same way we would be able to in the past. In the past we could list songs, artists and lyrics like it was nothing to refute the negatively attributed to hip hop. It's way harder to do that now.

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Yinny

I miss LLC Twitter
Daps
Reppin
Shangri-La
As long as he continues dropping random unexpected verses I'm cool with it. He's stated for ever ever that he doesn't care for rap like that :yeshrug: