Andre 3000 GQ Video Interview: “sometimes it feels inauthentic for me to rap because I don’t have anything to talk about in that way.”

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
This site phony as hell..nikkas talking about Nas and there being a lane for old man mature raps when Nas is selling 10K copies and going quadruple linoleum.

Same site that clamors for Drake albums when that man has been rapping from the perspective of an emotionally stunted 25 year old for a decade .

That last little brother album was chocked full of grown man raps and it was QUIET out here .

Unlike what nikkas fake claim there isn’t a lane for bad eyesight/colonoscopy raps..Stop the cap and keep it 100.

Rap is one dimensional as hell

I can only speak on what I myself support and Nas and Little Brother both have gotten MY money with their grown man raps.

I purchased all 6 Nas albums on both digital and CD and can prove it. Plus some merch.

I purchased Little Brother’s May The Lord Watch on digital in 2019 when it dropped AND Rapper Big Pooh’s To Dream In Color solo album.

Nas last two albums have sold less than the previous 4 because he literally put them out with no promo on very little advance notice. And even with that he sold out Madison Square Garden with a Kings Disease themed and promoted show. NOT an Illmatic show. NOT an It Was Written show. NOT a Hip Hop Is Dead show. He sold out with an emphasis on the albums with more mature, content. He’s on a sold out tour with Wu-Tang right now performing the new “mature” content right alongside the classics and his fans are rocking with it. He performed one of those “mature”’contented songs alongside Lauryn Hill at the sold out Hip Hop 50 concert. He’s nominated for his third straight Grammy for Kings Disease 3 (which when talking about sales, is the last one he actually promoted and coincidentally became the album that toed him as one of only two rappers to have 16 top 10 debuting albums) and thats all just THIS year. We’re not even mentioning the entire three year run which saw him become the oldest rapper to win a Best Rap Album Grammy, be inducted into the Billboard Hall Of Fame, be featured on the cover of GQ Magazine, and have a top liquor brand literally rename their iconic cognac in his honor. This is all off the strength of his NEW music not the catalogue.

If you think there’s no lane for mature rap just strictly based off first week sales then Nas is a horrible example to use. Hell Kendrick Lamar put out one of the most honest, mature, and reflective albums in modern rap history last year and not only went platinum but also went on the highest grossing rap tour of ALL TIME.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
in the full interview he alluded to there being issues with big boi. I'm paraphrasing but he said they in different spaces n the chemistry not there. Kast a thing of the past.

Not everyone is capable of performing on their own. Maybe Dre was really just a group act. He mighta not had the gusto to do the solo thing.

Probably better off then ruining his legacy with a half assed attempt.

Its a shame cause the game could really use more true artists of his age/caliber.

He was in his early 20s already dropping gems with 50 year old wisdom.

Running around NYC playing the flute on subway platforms when u got grandkids is nuts.

Uitomy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Anxiety attacks and sugar cookies
I get what he’s saying really. He just doesn’t have the feel and energy needed to put out an album on the caliber people EXPECT from him. If he made a basic hip hop album, nikkas need to understand, that the whole world will be expecting him to have legitimate hits on there, like, think of all the fire guest verses he’s had post 2000. People would expect an entire album full of that and you cap if you said other wise. That’s not fun and is too much pressure to make.

He’s discovering his heritage, not to say playing a flute makes you a native but I’m more than likely guessing he’s uncovered (or accepted, if he knew already) his more than likely creek Indian blood and more than likely is getting more and more disillusioned by the lifestyle of fame and acclaim. To him, rapping is attention seeking because for him, it will garner the most attention. I’m in the same boat with him to be frank. I’ve been turning towards playing instruments to get what I want said. I used to rap a lot in college but now, when I spit I just sound too forced, too preachy and nerdy, I don’t have the bravado that people would find catchy, it seems more pleasing to play my shinobue and sing and hit the steel tongue drum. He’s right where he needs to be.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
I can only speak on what I myself support and Nas and Little Brother both have gotten MY money with their grown man raps.

I purchased all 6 Nas albums on both digital and CD and can prove it. Plus some merch.

I purchased Little Brother’s May The Lord Watch on digital in 2019 when it dropped AND Rapper Big Pooh’s To Dream In Color solo album.

Nas last two albums have sold less than the previous 4 because he literally put them out with no promo on very little advance notice. And even with that he sold out Madison Square Garden with a Kings Disease themed and promoted show. NOT an Illmatic show. NOT an It Was Written show. NOT a Hip Hop Is Dead show. He sold out with an emphasis on the albums with more mature, content. He’s on a sold out tour with Wu-Tang right now performing the new “mature” content right alongside the classics and his fans are rocking with it. He performed one of those “mature”’contented songs alongside Lauryn Hill at the sold out Hip Hop 50 concert. He’s nominated for his third straight Grammy for Kings Disease 3 (which when talking about sales, is the last one he actually promoted and coincidentally became the album that toed him as one of only two rappers to have 16 top 10 debuting albums) and thats all just THIS year. We’re not even mentioning the entire three year run which saw him become the oldest rapper to win a Best Rap Album Grammy, be inducted into the Billboard Hall Of Fame, be featured on the cover of GQ Magazine, and have a top liquor brand literally rename their iconic cognac in his honor. This is all off the strength of his NEW music not the catalogue.

If you think there’s no lane for mature rap just strictly based off first week sales then Nas is a horrible example to use. Hell Kendrick Lamar put out one of the most honest, mature, and reflective albums in modern rap history last year and not only went platinum but also went on the highest grossing rap tour of ALL TIME.

Yea I stream like a MF...go to shows....don't really buy merch like that unless its super fly....but it is hard to "support" the artists I do fukk with. I'm not buying physical music in 2k23 there is no purpose for me.

Legacy rap for sure has a lane. I just watched the drink champs with treach from naughty by nature. He's 52. Still Active.

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
in the full interview he alluded to there being issues with big boi. I'm paraphrasing but he said they in different spaces n the chemistry not there. Kast a thing of the past.

Not everyone is capable of performing on their own. Maybe Dre was really just a group act. He mighta not had the gusto to do the solo thing.

Its a shame cause the game could really use more true artists of his age/caliber.

Running around NYC playing the flute on subway platforms when u got grandkids is nuts.
I got the opposite
Seems like he was giving Big Boi praise

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga

There have been creative issues with Big Boi since Stankonia. L.A. Reid said in his book that after Stankonia Big and Dre came to him and told him they were breaking up as a group. Speakerboxxx was supposed to be Big Boi’s solo album debut but Andre called LA three weeks before it was supposed to release and asked how much time he had to record his own solo album and package it as an Outkast album. Big Boi was cool with the idea but refused to push his release date back so LA told Andre he had three weeks.

Andre wrote, produced, and recorded The Love Below in THREE WEEKS. L.A was astounded because he didn’t think Dre would make the deadline.

Also there were heavy rumors that they were dissing each other on Mighty O. I’m not sure how true that is but Big and Dre definitely haven’t been on the same page as group members since 2000, thats literally 23 years. Andre also cost Big MILLIONS in touring money because he refused to tour when Speakerboxx/Love Below was the hottest album on the planet. He wouldn’t even do spot festival dates where they were being offered stupid money.

I never actually thought they’d get back together officially. I was hype for the Outkast reunion shows and thought that MIGHT spark something but after hearing about how lackadaisical Andre’s performing was I knew his heart wasn’t in it. And thats the truth, the man’s heart just isn’t in rap anymore and I think because he’s so damn gifted at the artform we keep waiting for him to have his Michael Jordan in 95 epiphany, but its really and truly NOT coming and he hasn’t been coy about it. He’s told us literally every step of the way that he doesn’t want to rap outside of it being an occasional hobby. He’s said he only writes one verse a year. He’s said he’s more into acting. He’s said he’s more into producing. He’s said he’s more into instruments. He’s said he’s more into designing clothes. Anything, anything, ANYTHING other than rap. He hasn’t teased us that a rap album was coming. He hasn’t hinted, even playfully that it was a reality. The man has NEVER lied about it.

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
There have been creative issues with Big Boi since Stankonia. L.A. Reid said in his book that after Stankonia Big and Dre came to him and told him they were breaking up as a group. Speakerboxxx was supposed to be Big Boi’s solo album debut but Andre called LA three weeks before it was supposed to release and asked how much time he had to record his own solo album and package it as an Outkast album. Big Boi was cool with the idea but refused to push his release date back so LA told Andre he had three weeks.

Andre wrote, produced, and recorded The Love Below in THREE WEEKS. L.A was astounded because he didn’t think Dre would make the deadline.

Also there were heavy rumors that they were dissing each other on Mighty O. I’m not sure how true that is but Big and Dre definitely haven’t been on the same page as group members since 2000, thats literally 23 years. Andre also cost Big MILLIONS in touring money because he refused to tour when Speakerboxx/Love Below was the hottest album on the planet. He wouldn’t even do spot festival dates where they were being offered stupid money.

I never actually thought they’d get back together officially. I was hype for the Outkast reunion shows and thought that MIGHT spark something but after hearing about how lackadaisical Andre’s performing was I knew his heart wasn’t in it. And thats the truth, the man’s heart just isn’t in rap anymore and I think because he’s so damn gifted at the artform we keep waiting for him to have his Michael Jordan in 95 epiphany, but its really and truly NOT coming and he hasn’t been coy about it. He’s told us literally every step of the way that he doesn’t want to rap outside of it being an occasional hobby. He’s said he only writes one verse a year. He’s said he’s more into acting. He’s said he’s more into producing. He’s said he’s more into instruments. He’s said he’s more into designing clothes. Anything, anything, ANYTHING other than rap. He hasn’t teased us that a rap album was coming. He hasn’t hinted, even playfully that it was a reality. The man has NEVER lied about it.

whats the book called? Im about to finish juicy J memoir n got nothing queued up

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
If he plays the flute in the same melody as he did the guitar on Sixteen (Ain't Enough), I will scream:bryan:

That atrocious guitar solo was the dead giveaway that this dude was running on fumes. We would’ve been fine with his verse on the song and that’s it.

Officer Ricky was probably so geeked for the verse that he ignored the bullshít strumming on the guitar

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

They have a weird friendship
They have differences but you can tell they are still cool
Big Boi promoted Andre's album on his Instagram

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
They have a weird friendship
They have differences but you can tell they are still cool
Big Boi promoted Andre's album on his Instagram

they probably are still brothers; just creative differences.

Big boi seem like a tru hustler. Type 2 get in the studio n get it done n turned in ASAP.

Dre creative process prolly weird AF n a chore. The moon needs to be in a certain position In the sky and the incense has 2 be right shyt like that :russ: