Andre 3000 GQ Video Interview: “sometimes it feels inauthentic for me to rap because I don’t have anything to talk about in that way.”

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How many rappers even have 5 albums let alone 5 arguable classic albums?

How many rappers have made legitimately good albums well into their 40s and into their 50s? Not like Nas just making albums, these are critically acclaimed Grammy nominated joints.

I ain’t debating you though cause Nas my GOAT and I don’t see any debate in arguing against who is better when it comes to him.
Nas is in my top 3, so that wasn't a slight against him.
I just notice some posters will give him leeway for certain shyt that other rappers would get clowned for

xXOGLEGENDXx

Superstar
Daps
Wild takes. So because you were never a fan you think other people are just going along with him being crowned goat? Nah we actually listened. I can recite his lyrics on many songs. We not about to pretend he didn't have memorable verses cuz you didn't listen. Not Andre :usure:
And you think because you are a fan everybody else is?

Andre 3000 is overrated :yeshrug:

How you a goat and ain't never dropped an album?
:heh:

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
He’s doing what people supposedly want rappers to do :yeshrug:

He’d be called :flabbynsick: if he was rapping about bullshyt.

It is what it is at this point

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
Crazy how Metallica, Rolling Stones, Pearl Jam and others are still releasing music and are respected across generations. No one in their respective genres call them :flabbynsick: .

We just create and discard our music and artists. No wonder why it’s so easy for outsiders to control it and displace us. Go to any Jazz festival and black folk are in the minority. SMH. This “culture” is a shambles.:wow:

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
I like Andre but stuff like this is why it feels almost criminal to rank him above Big Boi.

Both are equally great emcees but at least Big Boi proved that he could drop quality music outside Outkast(Sir Lucious, Big Grams, The Big Sleep is Over).

I also respect how Big Boi knows his limits. Big Boi experiments as much as Andre but the difference is that Big Boi will allow true vocalists like Sleepy Brown and Cee Lo to collab with him and true musicians via Organized Noize or those Indie bands like Phantogram to work with him.

Andre's "I'm more than a rapper" schtick is fine but feels a bit forced when you factor in that he's still most skilled as a lyricist and emcee. As a vocalist, Andre isn't in the same universe as Cee Lo or Sleepy Brown. Love Below was great in part because of the production and Andre's voice being serviceable enough.

And his musicianship is hit or miss too. Class of 3000 was the peak of Andre's musicianship imho. But Look Ma No Hands was awful imho just like the guitar solo on Sixteen. That clarinet solo was out of tune for the whole 17 minutes and James Blake did a lot of heavy lifting on that track.

I know people are gonna say "There's more to music than rap" and I agree. I applaud rappers who step outside the bubble. But Andre kept us waiting for 1 measly rap album or, hell, even rap EP for damn near 2 decades and never delivered on it while Big Boi dropped 5 projects post Outkast.

Either way, I'll still check out the album and I'll likely enjoy it for what it is since I'm a Jazz guy myself. Andre's still a great artist either way but I sometimes think people love the idea of Andre more than the actual artist.
You know what’s crazy?

Dre gets more attention for shyt like this than Big Boi gets for his albums. People spam comments saying they don’t care if he don’t want to rap and making jokes about Dre and stuff, meanwhile Big Boi just be dropping albums… His true fans will care, but he ain’t going viral and all that like Dre does with anything that happens to him. I love them both and Dre can do whatever he wants to do, I just think the shyt is funny/

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I like Andre but stuff like this is why it feels almost criminal to rank him above Big Boi.

Both are equally great emcees but at least Big Boi proved that he could drop quality music outside Outkast(Sir Lucious, Big Grams, The Big Sleep is Over).

I also respect how Big Boi knows his limits. Big Boi experiments as much as Andre but the difference is that Big Boi will allow true vocalists like Sleepy Brown and Cee Lo to collab with him and true musicians via Organized Noize or those Indie bands like Phantogram to work with him.

Andre's "I'm more than a rapper" schtick is fine but feels a bit forced when you factor in that he's still most skilled as a lyricist and emcee. As a vocalist, Andre isn't in the same universe as Cee Lo or Sleepy Brown. Love Below was great in part because of the production and Andre's voice being serviceable enough.

And his musicianship is hit or miss too. Class of 3000 was the peak of Andre's musicianship imho. But Look Ma No Hands was awful imho just like the guitar solo on Sixteen. That clarinet solo was out of tune for the whole 17 minutes and James Blake did a lot of heavy lifting on that track.

I know people are gonna say "There's more to music than rap" and I agree. I applaud rappers who step outside the bubble. But Andre kept us waiting for 1 measly rap album or, hell, even rap EP for damn near 2 decades and never delivered on it while Big Boi dropped 5 projects post Outkast.

Either way, I'll still check out the album and I'll likely enjoy it for what it is since I'm a Jazz guy myself. Andre's still a great artist either way but I sometimes think people love the idea of Andre more than the actual artist.
Dap and rep
Also add in that Big Boi is a better actor than 3 stacks

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Nas is in my top 3, so that wasn't a slight against him.
I just notice some posters will give him leeway for certain shyt that other rappers would get clowned for

Maybe its because the man actually RAPS and continues rapping at a high level without making any excuses.

When you produce and you produce WELL it’ll grant you a certain level of leeway. Like Kendrick can take 3-5 years off and come back and he’ll still be heavily anticipated because he consistently produces quality whereas if someone like Drake took too much time off he’d be doubted.