Allen Hughes Says Snoop Dimmed his Own Light In Order to Allow 2Pac To Shine

Trace

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
Such a justice system needs major reform. I have faith you’re moving forward and steering clear if such hurdles in the future

This is an important factor that can’t be overlooked
Indeed it is, shyt is crazy how it’s set up and what they do in broad daylight out here.

Appreciate you for real and same to you. :salute:

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Snoop was death row's first star

The anticipation from 1991to the Chronic towards his debut featured a very hungry prime Snoop

Doggystyle made Snoop a household name. Straight masterpiece.

When Pac came, he naturally dominated Snoop Pac took the leadership role. Think about it? Pac was endorsing and marketing Death Row like he's own son

Pac's personality was the gas that reignited the flame into Death Row. Sparks and success!!!

agree with all of this. i dont know that there is anyone in music period who could rival snoop dogg's popularity from deep cover through doggystyle at that time. but he didn't have to step aside for pac. pac took that shyt.

he was nowhere near snoop's level when me against the world dropped imo. he was already a star. but snoop was the biggest thing in music.

that said, the trial made pac bigger. quad studios made pac bigger. all the controversy with bad boy, and getting bailed out by the biggest label in hip hop (a west coast label at that!), made him a household name.. whether you knew his music or not. the only thing missing was new music. then death row threw him the alley oop, and he delivered: by dropping arguably his best album with massive singles, by stirring the pot even more with biggie/bad boy (you can't convince me he didn't know the impact the biggie beef had on his career... the same way cube saw that controversy was selling and stole the recipe with westside connection), and by flying that death row flag higher and harder than anyone on that damn label.

it didn't matter whether snoop wanted to step aside or not. pac big-dogged everybody.

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
Snoop was death row's first star

Anybody remember the moment Snoop became a star? Deep Cover?

They could barely get dude to look at the camera lol. That's what Snoop meant by "Snoop Dogg was famous, 2pac was a star". There was no reality where he and Pac were to ever share the same platform and him not come off like the bigger, bolder personality.

SunZoo

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
Yeah but you know Snoop,I have seen him kind of frame it the way Allen is saying it. In the sense that he was the star,but didnt hate on Pac. And was the one who told Suge to bring Pac in. That does take some putting his ego to the side,if it went down like that for real. But whether Snoop dimmed his light or not,Pac wouldve shined based on the anticipation,the music,the controversy:wow:

Snoop framed it that way because he was jealous. The intention was to have Pac come to death row and be UNDER his faction, like some lil homie shyt...because even in the offices there was low key gangbanging between DPG and MOB.

When Pac did make his way to DR, he pretty quickly leaned more toward Suge's faction and took priority. All the issues DPG already had with Suge got that much more heated once Pac was on Suge's side instead of riding with the crips in the building.

MOB wanted their own "Snoop". This is also why Snoop was "cool" with Biggie/Puff even as they were putting bounties on DR artists.

Last edited:

SunZoo

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
:snoop:

Allen is 100% - shame on y’all nikkaz doubting him

It ain't about doubt, it's about Snoops own words, what happened in real time and Allen Huges inherent bias.

Snoop ain't campaign for Pac to come to Death Row to "dim his light and allow 2pac to shine". He wanted him to come the label and be down with DPG and it went the other way.

Last edited:

Amo Husserl

Superstar
Daps
giphy.gif

Pac was the greater rapper off technical skill to execute his concepts.
He was also the greater crossover artist from acting. His first album and Juice happenrf at the same time.
Album dropped, movie dropped. After was a string of hot albums with movie and TV appearances sprinkled in from Poetic Justice to SNL.
Pac was on both coasts, an album full of Dre beats and a hot debut wasn't seeing Pac '93 to '96. Stop the cap.
Snoop was B-tier on Death Row let's get off this romanticized appraisal of the past.
Pac on Death Row gave them more notoriety not the other way around.
If Pac managed his affairs better he wouldn't have needed Death Row, where is Snoop without the Pac stimulus?

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
It ain't about doubt, it's about Snoops own words, what happened in real time and Allen Huges inherent bias.

Snoop ain't campaign for Pac to come to Death Row to "dim his light and allow 2pac to shine". He wanted him to come the label and be down with DPG and it went the other way.

:hubie:

i’m not about to have a debate on snoop intentions for bringing pac to DR

with that said, once again, Allen is 100% correct - at the end of the day , snoop was the biggest rapper / hip-hop artist on the planet at the time , and once pac got down with them, snoop took a step back to allow him to shine

now, whether that was due to suge preference - I’ll leave that up to y’all to debate

shopthatwrecks

Certified Babble Detector Badge Number #281713
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
snoop wanted pac to come to hold the label down while he dealin wit his trail...

death row wasnt goin nowhere on the backs of rage dogg pound.. sassy ass dANNY BOY

hell no tellin when or if he woulda got off..

trial started nov 27 of 95... pac came n started all eyes on me oct 95 finished decemeber 95

feb 13 all eyes on me dropped..

feb 21.. the trial was over

he was trippin on pac...

shopthatwrecks

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
giphy.gif

Pac was the greater rapper off technical skill to execute his concepts.
He was also the greater crossover artist from acting. His first album and Juice happenrf at the same time.
Album dropped, movie dropped. After was a string of hot albums with movie and TV appearances sprinkled in from Poetic Justice to SNL.
Pac was on both coasts, an album full of Dre beats and a hot debut wasn't seeing Pac '93 to '96. Stop the cap.
Snoop was B-tier on Death Row let's get off this romanticized appraisal of the past.
Pac on Death Row gave them more notoriety not the other way around.
If Pac managed his affairs better he wouldn't have needed Death Row, where is Snoop without the Pac stimulus?
200.webp

deep cover >> dahshiki

snoop first album to pac's 1st 3... read it again.. SNOOPS FIRST ALBUM TO PAC'S 1ST 3 ....

Doggystyle - 6,957,800

2pacalypse now, s4mn, matw numbers combined= 6,087,606.. thats with juice and above the rim poetic justice.. yo mtv raps.. whatever else u wanna throw in......and after his death

snoop outsold him by 870,194 with one album to date and pac was on both coast to date

hell even snoops crew outsold pac's group and solo.. not to mention warren g was sellin with no snoop stimulus

who needed the stimulus... pac how many songs is snoop on all eyes on me ... not counting the songs.. they needed for pac's soundtracks on death row..lol...

pac couldnt go one album on death row...without snoop ... who was his cappo in the beginning of toss it up...snoop motherfukkin dogg
rapper-snoop-dogg-crying-meme-edsvso0xvbdv8ole.gif

how many songs does snoop have with pac ...none...

snoop murder was the case soundtrack... that didnt feature no pac...lol did 2million...

both pac movies struggled to do a million copies

this is a ep ...pacs debut ...gold..where is on one song....

snoops debut ..the chronic,,, where he is on damn near half the album...5million copies

Amo Husserl

Superstar
Daps
200.webp

deep cover >> dahshiki

snoop first album to pac's 1st 3... read it again.. SNOOPS FIRST ALBUM TO PAC'S 1ST 3 ....

Doggystyle - 6,957,800

2pacalypse now, s4mn, matw numbers combined= 6,087,606.. thats with juice and above the rim poetic justice.. yo mtv raps.. whatever else u wanna throw in......and after his death

snoop outsold him by 870,194 with one album to date and pac was on both coast to date

hell even snoops crew outsold pac's group and solo.. not to mention warren g was sellin with no snoop stimulus

who needed the stimulus... pac how many songs is snoop on all eyes on me ... not counting the songs.. they needed for pac's soundtracks on death row..lol...

pac couldnt go one album on death row...without snoop ... who was his cappo in the beginning of toss it up...snoop motherfukkin dogg
rapper-snoop-dogg-crying-meme-edsvso0xvbdv8ole.gif

how many songs does snoop have with pac ...none...

snoop murder was the case soundtrack... that didnt feature no pac...lol did 2million...

both pac movies struggled to do a million copies

this is a ep ...pacs debut ...gold..where is on one song....

snoops debut ..the chronic,,, where he is on damn near half the album...5million copies
:francis:
I don't see Snoop in Pac's bracket for greatest MC.
Peep any top rapper list before you start talking numbers, something you forgot to mention.
Are you really trying to say Doggystyle is better than Me Against the World on pure hip-hop sales aside?
Can't fail to mention Snoop was plugged into Dre's machine after NWA.
Snoop owe more of his success to Jimmy Iovine than he does Dre in the music business.
Don't act like Snoop is not to Dr. Dre what BIG was to Puffy. Snoop was engineered to blow.
Talk numbers, talk cultural impact to put those numbers in perspective breh breh.
Snoop sold more, Pac had and continues to have the bigger impact on hip-hop as a genre and culture acting and discography combined.
Snoop can't claim that. Maybe Snoop woulda had a bigger impact if Suge didn't run him outta Cali.

But I'ma let you go beloved.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Looking at the reaction to this quote I get the feeling people forget just how big a star Snoop was. Even with Pac. By 96 Pac was just as big and you can argue bigger but even then Snoop was highly anticipated

The trial affected things but that was done by Feb and Dre left in May so that played into things

shopthatwrecks

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
44 bricks...acre shaker
:francis:
I don't see Snoop in Pac's bracket for greatest MC.
Peep any top rapper list before you start talking numbers, something you forgot to mention.
Are you really trying to say Doggystyle is better than Me Against the World on pure hip-hop sales aside?
Can't fail to mention Snoop was plugged into Dre's machine after NWA.
Snoop owe more of his success to Jimmy Iovine than he does Dre in the music business.
Don't act like Snoop is not to Dr. Dre what BIG was to Puffy. Snoop was engineered to blow.
Talk numbers, talk cultural impact to put those numbers in perspective breh breh.
Snoop sold more, Pac had and continues to have the bigger impact on hip-hop as a genre and culture acting and discography combined.
Snoop can't claim that. Maybe Snoop woulda had a bigger impact if Suge didn't run him outta Cali.

But I'ma let you go beloved.
I said what I said

Who cares about a list fukk a fantasy bracket babble .. nerd shyt

Snoop debut album sold more than pac first 3 albums combined no movie

Doggystyle >>>>> matw strictly and 2pacalypse

Cultural impact lol

Cultural phenomenon

Now it’s about a machine lol

as a solo artist Pac was signed to that same machine his whole career

Couldn’t touch snoop until he got his death row call and put out a double album and got killed

Pac stans need the same stimulus from snoop as he did