All the guilt-trip marketing for “a wrinkle in time” failed

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town
Ava sees herself as an activist/filmmaker and I think ultimately that's why she passed on BP to make this one
She said after directing Selma and 13th, both with more masculine energy, she wanted to focus on something more female oriented. She also said she felt as though Black Panther needed to be directed by a black man.

Sindicated

Knowledge is the Greatest gift
Daps
Reppin
opus dei
fukk this movie.

And Ava let us down.

She took her opportunity for a big budget blockbuster...and gave a black child a white father and (apparently) a white love interest.

She's just another authority figure telling our girls that our boys aren't good enough for them. "Marry white" etc. This shyt is going to have such a horrible effect on us...our young boys are being brought up to believe the worst about themselves....

If she wanted black support, she should have actually cast a black family.

Make a film for young black kids that can't go run back to their half-white privilege and maybe we'll support better.

After Lupita and Chadwick I ain't here for this wenchery.

Great point. I've been thinking about this recently.

I personally think that Hollywood said this : We're putting Black Panther, A Wench In Time, and Pacific Rim 2 all within a month of each other. If they flop, no more black movies.

These two months were meant to be like do or die for black movies. After all the OscarsSoWhite and years of diversity complaints....these same whites congratulating BP probably secretly wanted it to underperform.

I'm proud that Coogler pulled through for us, he had a tough balancing act. No that doesn't mean I'm jumping for joy, and I recognize that ownership > all. Nevertheless, I think that complete black marginalization in film was fought off for a bit longer.
Sadly breh a huge portion of our kids are done i see it myself with my younger family members and even their friends all the boys want a Kim Kardshaian/India Love look alike and all the girls want to taste the rainbow and experiment.

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Im hungover so i guess thats like drinking since ill nap thru this. The theater is dead at a 2:20 showing with people still packed in the black panther show. Might be a flop but disney will be good they just double dipping now

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
She said after directing Selma and 13th, both with more masculine energy, she wanted to focus on something more female oriented. She also said she felt as though Black Panther needed to be directed by a black man.

this doesn't even make any sense..."masculine energy?"

13th is a documentary...how do you make a documentary with masculine energy? :what:

forrest whitaker made waiting to exhale...i've never heard him say that he made that film with feminine energy

Ava is damn near va$htie status to me as a filmmaker. :comeon:

Black Nate Grey

The God Emperor of Mankind
Daps
tumblr_ot7ot3VlFL1vwdnnpo3_540.gif

rs_680x284-170715113608-a-wrinkle-in-time-5.gif

they think they slick
sacred_heart_magnet.jpg
Oh Ava :snoop:

Thank Bast she didn't direct Black Panther

Guarantee she would have had Bucky or Cap beat Killmonger in the end or have a hand in it:snoop:

Black Nate Grey

The God Emperor of Mankind
Daps

Get ready for all the diversity/inclusion/" black men aint shyt for not supporting this" thinkpieces that'll be hitting on monday.

Oh, yes. We will most definitely be blamed for this. Toxic masculinity and whatnot.

Frankly, I'm ready to be entertained by their bullshyt rationalizations.:lolbron:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I actually went and saw the movie.

I've never seen so many social justice/inclusion type things crammed into a movie.

But I do get that it's supposed to be a film for girls who are nearing adolescence, but most of the shyt they angled in there is only gonna get picked up by adults.

It's definitely not gonna put asses in seats.

Baffling. I read a brief interview with the writer of the film, who talked about stripping the religious overtones of the book out of the adaption in part because they aren't "relevant" to society today, and instead focusing on themes that are relevant today. Why even make the movie if you gonna basically morph it into a tent pole of shyt that got nothing to do with the books?

I understand adaptions don't gotta be like the book, and sometimes they vastly improve on books by going in different directions (see: The Shining) but come on. This is like making a Narnia movie about civil rights and removing the Christian elements lmao. They took a popular kids book and made it an insular soapbox for social issues. Black Panther has social commentary but it's still a comic movie you can enjoy on a basic level. What is there to enjoy about this movie? I won't be seeing it...

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
Baffling. I read a brief interview with the writer of the film, who talked about stripping the religious overtones of the book out of the adaption in part because they aren't "relevant" to society today, and instead focusing on themes that are relevant today. Why even make the movie if you gonna basically morph it into a tent pole of shyt that got nothing to do with the books?

I understand adaptions don't gotta be like the book, and sometimes they vastly improve on books by going in different directions (see: The Shining) but come on. This is like making a Narnia movie about civil rights and removing the Christian elements lmao. They took a popular kids book and made it an insular soapbox for social issues. Black Panther has social commentary but it's still a comic movie you can enjoy on a basic level. What is there to enjoy about this movie? I won't be seeing it...

Breh, they had Mindy Kaling quote Outkast in the fukking movie....and they really wanted me to believe that the little white boy actually listened to an Outkast album from 1994.

Benefited

Banned
Daps

shyt like this is not going to get black people to support your film.

She was honestly better off keeping the chracters white like in the books, it still wouldnt have beat BP but probably made more money.
Relying on intersectionality is stupid, teen white girls arent going to watch a black girl lead.
Remember how toxic they were about Rue in Hunger Games?

Nah sorry,I would rather a movie where all the leads are black with no white people in sight:banderas:

Seeing black women helping,and in leadership roles alongside black panther:wow:

Its obvious she didn't see how inspiring,and impactful Black Panther could be socially. Had to throw the whole kitchen sink into this one to try to make it mean something:francis:

When I see a black woman on screen alongside a white man being friendly,You can't even be at ease because you know some wench shyt is coming.