All In Huh? The Official 2024 New York Yankees Season Thread

MidwestD

Clyde Frog's Shooter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Rant time: Still 2 + weeks left of preseason and the Yanks already dropping like flies :why:.
Current MLB players are built like Range Rovers, big strong engines that constantly fail and are out of service half the
time. Is there a strength and conditioning problem in baseball nowadays, jesus fukkin christ :sadcam:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The Yankees can't afford to go after Blake Snell. I posted this story a few weeks ago, I think, but here it is again...

Writing for the New York Post, Heyman reports that the Yankees and agent Scott Boras have discussed multiple concepts for a contract but haven’t been able to find common ground. One Yankees person characterized the chances of a deal with Snell as “extremely low.”
Boras floated the possibility of a shorter-term deal with a higher average annual value and multiple opt-outs, like the one he negotiated with the Cubs (per a source) for Cody Bellinger.
However, the Yankees aren’t interested in that concept for multiple reasons. The first is the Competitive Balance Tax ramifications -- any deal with Snell will push the Yankees north of the highest tax line of $297 million, and a higher AAV would come with a higher tax.
The Yanks would also need to surrender Draft compensation and international bonus pool money to sign Snell after he rejected a qualifying offer, so they aren’t keen on the idea of the pitcher having a chance to opt out after only one or two years.

From @K-Apps comment above, the Yankees are kicking the tires on a trade with the White Sox for Dylan Cease and I'm way more interested in that move, given that Cease can give you the same upside as Snell, but he's 3 years younger.

Sure, Snell is left handed and Cease is not. But that's not the biggest concern in this case.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
BTW, given that Spencer Jones is left handed, I would imagine the Yankees really do not want to trade him.

Stanton's time in New York is coming to an end, and Verdugo is little more than a stop gap.

Even if Spencer Jones isn't a viable Centerfielder, if his bat develops, he's almost certainly a candidate for DH or Left Field.
That depends on whether the Yankees are able to re-sign Juan Soto.
If Cashman somehow traded away Spencer Jones AND lost Juan Soto to free agency, he'd absolutely have to lose his job. Well, you would think, anyway...

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
Word to Jomboy, is this Cole elbow situation just a Boras negotiation tactic on the low to make the Yankees sign Snell?

I hope so. :lawd: