All In Huh? The Official 2024 New York Yankees Season Thread

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I know it’s down the list of priorities right now, but they gotta do something about Volpe. He’s rapidly turning into DJ in the batters box. Average below .200 and ops below .500 in his last 40 games. Hasn’t homered in over a month. Barely gets the ball into the air. Swings and misses once or twice on pitches well in the zone every time he’s up to bat. IKF has a drastically higher batting average and OBP this year and is slugging harder too :hhh: :trash:. If he doesn’t rapidly turn it around between now and whenever the season ends, I say trade him in the winter and go find someone else. This is not a small sample size anymore.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

Was saying something to this effect to family earlier. They have to look for a shortstop this winter. He’s been dramatically worse as a hitter than IKF this year. He’s got an ops in the 500’s since June and he’s showing no signs of improvement. Time to cut bait already.

holidayinn21

:SmugMoneyMike:
Daps
Reppin
The mutha****in BX
Was saying something to this effect to family earlier. They have to look for a shortstop this winter. He’s been dramatically worse as a hitter than IKF this year. He’s got an ops in the 500’s since June and he’s showing no signs of improvement. Time to cut bait already.
While I'm in agreement with you, Volpe's deficiencies on offense wouldn't be as magnified as they are, if the roster was better constructed

If this lineup had a solid 1-8, then I think we could live with his +defense/speed and mediocre offense batting 9th.

Martin Maldonado was the worst hitter in baseball, yet the Astros still had an elite offense and won the WS

But then again, they're a well-run organization with smart baseball people running the team

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
they have bigger needs than SS even if Soto stays.

Assuming Soto's back, they need a 3B, closer, and more bullpen help, and then in a year, they'll need a new 1B (hopefully it's Murakami) and more starters.

Mantis Toboggan M.D.

Drink wolf cola
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
While I'm in agreement with you, Volpe's deficiencies on offense wouldn't be as magnified as they are, if the roster was better constructed

If this lineup had a solid 1-8, then I think we could live with his +defense/speed and mediocre offense batting 9th.

Martin Maldonado was the worst hitter in baseball, yet the Astros still had an elite offense and won the WS

But then again, they're a well-run organization with smart baseball people running the team
The rest of the lineup has to absolutely mash to justify a hitter as bad as Volpe having a spot in the lineup because mediocre would be an improvement. His excellent April and May are all that’s propping him up because he’s so much worse this year than he was even last year outside of those two months. Unfortunately this is a team that has also spent the whole year with automatic outs in left field, first base, and third base until the Jazz trade so it’s hard to ignore, and even more so when they passed on all the big names they did in favor of him. He’s hitting basically .225-230 with maybe a .265 OBP and 5 homers in his last 91 games with most of those homers coming inside of a single week. He’s got the average of Joey gallo mixed with the power of Wade Boggs. This month he’s got 1 walk to 17 strikeouts and 8 hits with all of them being singles.