After going back and playing Dark Souls 2 I realized how much of a disappointment bloodborne is.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'll start by saying its still a good game, maybe even great, but I still feel its a disappointment. The fact that I'm back to playing DS2 after bloodborne has only been out a couple weeks is a testament to that.

My biggest disappointment is all the stuff they took out of the game. I guess they were trying to make the gameplay faster, which does work on some level, but everything they had to remove takes so much away from the game, that the concessions just aren't worth it. I'd much rather be able to choose which style I want to play as opposed to it being dictated to me. That goes against what the souls series has ment to me. And its why I'd rather go back and play DS2 over bloodborne. I can try different styles and use different weapons, or set different goals for myself. In comparison bloodborne feels stripped down and I have no motivation to go back into the game.

Second would be level design. The levels don't stand out among each other. There all too similar in design and athletics. They're all very dark winding paths with a shortcut that gets you back to the lantern. None of them stood out as memorable.

Also the bosses were too easy, it may be cause I'm better at the souls formula, but I wasn't really challenged by the bosses. I think the dodge button is a bit OP. the timing window for dodges seems much larger than other souls games.

And lastly the technical issues were a big disappointment. I know souls games aren't know for their technical prowess, but this one seems worse than the others in that regard.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the game. I think my excitement and love for the series made me gloss over these issues while I was playing, but after going back to DS2 and getting a chance to reflect, I have to say bloodborne is a major disappointment personally.

Thoughts?

And please no Stan shyt, if you have not spent considerable time with the series then:camby:
sure buddy lol

Another Man

Trappin w/ Benzino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Red Roof Inn
I'll start by saying its still a good game, maybe even great, but I still feel its a disappointment. The fact that I'm back to playing DS2 after bloodborne has only been out a couple weeks is a testament to that.

My biggest disappointment is all the stuff they took out of the game. I guess they were trying to make the gameplay faster, which does work on some level, but everything they had to remove takes so much away from the game, that the concessions just aren't worth it. I'd much rather be able to choose which style I want to play as opposed to it being dictated to me. That goes against what the souls series has ment to me. And its why I'd rather go back and play DS2 over bloodborne. I can try different styles and use different weapons, or set different goals for myself. In comparison bloodborne feels stripped down and I have no motivation to go back into the game.

Second would be level design. The levels don't stand out among each other. There all too similar in design and athletics. They're all very dark winding paths with a shortcut that gets you back to the lantern. None of them stood out as memorable.

Also the bosses were too easy, it may be cause I'm better at the souls formula, but I wasn't really challenged by the bosses. I think the dodge button is a bit OP. the timing window for dodges seems much larger than other souls games.

And lastly the technical issues were a big disappointment. I know souls games aren't know for their technical prowess, but this one seems worse than the others in that regard.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the game. I think my excitement and love for the series made me gloss over these issues while I was playing, but after going back to DS2 and getting a chance to reflect, I have to say bloodborne is a major disappointment personally.

Thoughts?

And please no Stan shyt, if you have not spent considerable time with the series then:camby:
:mjlol:

Ronald

Daps
Bloodborne is in my top 10 games oat :manny:

Still haven't played DS2, everyone says it's the worst one tho

Codeine Bryant

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Not sure how something can be a "major disappointment" while also being "good," possibly "great."

Critical and fan acclaim worldwide. Yeah, it's not like it's predecessors. The devs said it was it's own game. There's a reason why it's a completely different world, different name, and non-canon with demon or dark souls.

It's different. The way MGS 3 was different from the first 2. I wouldn't say that makes it inherently worse. Especially not disappointing given how amazing the game is.

If it's not what you expected, or not what you're used to, I understand. But to say it's a major disappointment because it went in a different direction than what you're seemingly comfortable with, and did an excellent job with that direction... Sounds like sensationalizing.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Not sure how something can be a "major disappointment" while also being "good," possibly "great."

Critical and fan acclaim worldwide. Yeah, it's not like it's predecessors. The devs said it was it's own game. There's a reason why it's a completely different world, different name, and non-canon with demon or dark souls.

It's different. The way MGS 3 was different from the first 2. I wouldn't say that makes it inherently worse. Especially not disappointing given how amazing the game is.

If it's not what you expected, or not what you're used to, I understand. But to say it's a major disappointment because it went in a different direction than what you're seemingly comfortable with, and did an excellent job with that direction... Sounds like sensationalizing.

Its possible for something to be very good and still disappointing.

Compared to other games bloodborne is really good. As a stand alone title there aren't many criticisms to be aimed at the game other than the tech issues. As a title in the souls series its very reasonable to compare it to the other games.

It really hit me that I was disappointed with the game when I finished it and still wanted some souls in my life but chose to go back to DS2 as opposed to playing more bloodborne. I've put 100+ hours into every souls game to date. Only about 35 in bloodborne and I'd still rather go back and play a game I've put much more hours into. That's disappointing to me. I have no desire to ever play bloodborne again.

Last edited: