After binge watching The Wire I can't believe how overrated it is.

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
:childplease:

I respect your opinion though, but I don't think it is overrated.

Of course they have to focus on McNulty, because he is the cac hero, HBO is liberal, but not liberal enough to have a black lead. (:mjpls:) They want cacs to watch this show too.

Stringer Bell was second in charge, when Avon went to jail, he had to be number one.

Prop Joe was all about the business, I don't even think he dealt with Avon until Marlo came into the picture and started taking up good corners, so that is how he made the deal to get the Towers and in return give Avon the Greek drug connect.

Got to disagree with you on Season 2. One of the best seasons. Showed you how the drugs get in the country, showed you how fukked up the US government is etc. The whole issue with the unions and lack of domestic jobs etc.

Agree Season 5 was hot trash. I pretend it doesn't exist. :manny:

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
:childplease:

I respect your opinion though, but I don't think it is overrated.

Of course they have to focus on McNulty, because he is the cac hero, HBO is liberal, but not liberal enough to have a black lead. (:mjpls:) They want cacs to watch this show too.

Stringer Bell was second in charge, when Avon went to jail, he had to be number one.

Prop Joe was all about the business, I don't even think he dealt with Avon until Marlo came into the picture and started taking up good corners, so that is how he made the deal to get the Towers and in return give Avon the Greek drug connect.

Got to disagree with you on Season 2. One of the best seasons. Showed you how the drugs get in the country, showed you how fukked up the US government is etc. The whole issue with the unions and lack of domestic jobs etc.

Agree Season 5 was hot trash. I pretend it doesn't exist. :manny:

I used to feel the same way. But it really glossed over a lot of shyt in that season. They focused more on Ziggy and McNulty way too much

McNulty couldn't even hide his British accent properly half the damn time.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
im a get hate for this and I know it's a classic in many people's eyes but it seems like they took a good premise and stretched it out further than anticipated.

You can tell they cared about The Corner because it was based on a true story. It felt more organic and cohesive.

The Wire on the other hand while trying to have an overall theme with each season simply had too many WTF moments in the plot.

1. They focused way too much on McNulty's character. Watching it again for the first time in 3 years McNulty helped make the show weak.

2. I don't know how Stringer Bell held his title for that long. He made too many dumb decisions. His profile should've been the same as Avon. There was no need for him to be in court with D'Anglelo and Bird.

3. Bird getting convicted on the strength of Omar's testimony was just plain stupid.

4. Too many plot convience moments to ensure the cops prevailed in season 1, 2, and 5. The cops investigative skills were meh at best, including Lester.

5. Prop Joe went through the entire series without getting the same treatment as Barksdale and Stanfield.

6. The show became a full blown parody of itself in season 5.

7. Season 4 was probably the best one mainly because they didn't push much focus on the police.

8. The reason why season 2 is considered the weakest imo is because of the lazy writing and lazy plot.

Overall I think they tried to do too much and kept the show going based on fan support. I can't be mad at that but I know for a fact the creators never intended the show to run that long and it showed.

1. I fukking hated McNulty. I think that was the point though. Usually people root for the police and they are the clear cut good guys. Not the case with this show.

2. Dumb decisions are necessary for drama.

3. That Omar shyt was dumb as hell. Got this nikka up here telling on himself in a court of law and everybody just giggling and eating the shyt up and then he went on his merry way.

5. Barksdale took over the westside, dropping bodies left and right, and he wasn't getting that treatment until McNulty went crying to that judge. Marlo's crew didn't start catching heat like that until the bodies were discovered. Prop Joe was all about being diplomatic with shyt.

How you gonna say that it was clear they never intended to run the show for that long AND say that the penultimate season was the best? :heh:

How many shows can you honestly say were more realistic, Season 5 aside?

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The wire was a masterpiece

Stringer bell was in court, because Avon was the hidden mysterious guy, cops never had a picture or what he looked like. Just like the Greek all you saw was vondas
Lol they even explain in season 1 that stringer was the queen and moved everywhere.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
6. The show became a full blown parody of itself in season 5.

7. Season 4 was probably the best one

Overall I think they tried to do too much and kept the show going based on fan support. I can't be mad at that but I know for a fact the creators never intended the show to run that long and it showed.

6 and 7 is the only two I agree with.

They kept the show going because critics loved it. That's it. There wasn't any fan support. The shyt got cancelled after season 3. It ran as long as it did because David Simon begged them to bring it back. So nah....that last point I can 100% say is false. Simon even had a rough idea for season 6 but HBO was like :camby: after season 5.

Fred.

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
6 and 7 is the only two I agree with.

They kept the show going because critics loved it. That's it. There wasn't any fan support. The shyt got cancelled after season 3. It ran as long as it did because David Simon begged them to bring it back. So nah....that last point I can 100% say is false. Simon even had a rough idea for season 6 but HBO was like :camby: after season 5.

Fred.

The show was in Limbo after season 3, I don't remember it ever being cancelled and then brought back. But I remember hearing it was re-upped by HBO execs because Simon wowed them with his vision/story/script for Season 4 as opposed to Simon begging them.

HBO was ready to end it after Season 3 though if they didn't like the concept for Season 4. Most people were fine with the showing going out in Season 3 because nobody really knew what direction the show could go in next.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The show was in Limbo after season 3, I don't remember it every being cancelled and then brought back. But I remember hearing it was re-upped by HBO execs because Simon wowed them with his vision/story/script for Season 4 as opposed to Simon begging.

HBO was ready to end it after Season 3 though if they didn't like the concept for Season 4. Most people were fine with the showing going out in Season 3 because nobody really knew what direction the show could go in next.

Simon himself said it was cancelled and he literally had to beg to resurrect it. He mentions it in damn near every interview because he's kinda bitter people started jocking the show after it was over:

David Simon talks 'Treme,' America, and a possible end to his TV career: 'Maybe I'm in the wrong line of work.'

At a certain point, you only have so many years left, and that’s always at the back of your mind: Did I just spend 3-4 years conceiving of a story that I didn’t finish? And I lived that with The Wire. The Wire was canceled after season 3, and The Wire was nearly canceled again – I had to grovel and beg and plead - after season 4.
Fred.

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
Simon himself said it was cancelled and he literally had to beg to resurrect it. He mentions it in damn near every interview because he's kinda bitter people started jocking the show after it was over:

David Simon talks 'Treme,' America, and a possible end to his TV career: 'Maybe I'm in the wrong line of work.'

Fred.

OK, I remember hearing it from HBO'S side after they announced it was brought back. I was paying attention to the wire news heavy in those days. they never publicly canceled it. HBO was like the story was too good not to bring it back after they met with Simon.