Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Progress, challenges as Colombia celebrates Afro-Colombian community

Ed Buckley
May 21, 2016

afro-colombia.jpg

Photo: Camilo Rozo

Somewhere between 10 and 20 percent of Colombia’s population is of African descent, one of the largest such populations outside of the African continent, just behind Brazil, the United States and Haiti.

On Saturday, the country paid tribute to that community.

“Our African heritage can be felt more strongly than ever,” tweeted President Juan Manuel Santos in celebration of Colombia’s annual Afro-Colombian Day or Día de la Afrocolombianidad.

Indeed there are indicators of progress for Colombia’s Afro community — and there is also plenty of room for improvement.

According to a 2013 from the Corpovisionarios think tank, some 3 percent of Bogotanos said they would prefer not to live next to someone of a different ethnicity. The national average was 2 percent.

Though those percentages may seem small, they add up to tens of thousands of Colombians.

The good news is that those numbers seem to be going down, at least compared to data collected when the think tank started surveying Colombians in 2003.

But there are lots of challenges remaining.

Only one-in-five Afro-Colombians obtains an academic degree beyond a high school diploma, according to the National Planning Department (DNP). And Afro-Colombians have a higher rate of informal employment than other populations, for example.

In 2013, a survey conducted by the Universidad del Valle found that only 3 percent of high-level management positions in Colombia’s labor market were held by persons of African descent, a significantly lower representation than the group’s overall proportion of the Colombian population.

“In Colombia, there is much more discrimination against persons with darker skin compared to those with ‘intermediate’ to lighter skin,” explained Sara Milena Ferrer Valencia of the Observatorio de Discriminación Racial.

The national Public Defender’s office reported on Saturday that some 700,000 Afro-Colombians have been victims of the country’s internal armed conflict, mostly through forced displacement.

The same office also received more than 800 formal complaints of racism or discrimination over the past year. Most of the complaints came from cities with the largest black populations: Cali and Cartagena.

But Colombia’s government is working to change that.

On Thursday, Colombia’s Ministry of Culture along with the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) designated Cartagena as Colombia’s first center of Afro-Colombian memory.

“This is a recognition and a valorization of a determining factor in the memory of the country,” said Vice Minister of Culture Zulia Mena García. “May our words be reflected in our actions.”

UNESCO Director of Cultural Politics and Intercultural Dialogue Ali Moussa Ily also celebrated the designation.

“Our being here [in Cartagena] is concreting everything that was represented by the route of slavery,” he said. “Cartagena is fundamental, and this symbolic act was necessary.”

National Afro-Colombian Day was first celebrated on May 21, 2001 in commemoration of 150 years since Colombia abolished slavery. The entire month of May is also celebrated as Afro-Colombian Month.

Progress, challenges as Colombia celebrates Afro-Colombian community | The City Paper Bogotá

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
MAY 24, 2016 5:22 PM

Afro-Colombians appeal to Obama to help vulnerable minorities

Highlights
  • Afro-Colombians don’t want to be left out of $450 million aid proposal
  • Most impacted community largely left out of historic peace talks
  • Believe their voices will resonate with the African-American president
0506282301.JPG

BY FRANCO ORDOÑEZ
fordonez@mcclatchydc.com

WASHINGTON - Largely excluded from peace talks with leftist rebels, Afro-Colombian leaders are appealing directly to the Obama administration to ensure they’re not excluded from a proposed $450 million U.S. aid package to help implement the peace deal.

The Colombian government is expected to sign an historic agreement soon with the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), the leftist guerrilla group that has waged a five-decade-long war against the Colombian government. Much of that violence has occurred in the western Pacific region of the country and peripheral communities where the population is largely of African descent.

Leaders such as Isaias Chalá, mayor of the city of Quibdo in western Colombia, said Afro-Colombians are probably the most interested in a successful peace deal, considering the personal sacrifices their community has made.

“It’s one simple reason,” Chalá said in an interview after participating in a panel discussion on community concerns at the Inter-American Dialogue. “Because the violence in Colombia over the last 30, 40, 50 years has occurred primarily in the Pacific. The Afro-Colombians no longer want to live with this kind of violence.”

Colombia has the second-largest black population in Latin America after Brazil. An estimated 11 million people in Colombia are of African descent.

Congress is considering Obama’s proposal to provide $450 million annually to help Colombia reinforce security, reintegrate former combatants into society and re-establish the rule of law in regions that have been controlled by the rebels. The new plan, called “Peace Colombia,” is an continuation of Plan Colombia, the 15-year program that’s provided more than $10 billion to Colombia to confront drug trafficking and other ills.

The Afro-Colombians have been the most affected, but relatively neglected during the peace talks, said Michael Shifter, executive director of the Inter-American Dialogue.

“Their voice hasn’t been heard as much as it should be,” Shifter said. “They have a crucial role to play in this process of figuring out what the cooperation is going to be like moving forward between the U.S. and Colombia.”

Chalá was part of a group of municipal leaders and Colombian academics who met with members of the State Department, the U.S, Agency for International Development and the House Foreign Affairs Committee. Oscar Gamboa, head of the association of mayors and governors of municipalities and departments with Afro-descendant communities, said they will request grants associated with the $450 million package.

For Peace Colombia to really be successful, Chalá and Gamboa said, it’s essential that some of that money be targeted directly at Afro-Colombian communities. Chalá cites double-digit unemployment throughout the Pacific region. Gamboa worries that if it’s all funneled through Bogota, that many Afro-Colombian communities will be left out. Economic development is critical, he said.

“If the people don’t have any income, they’re going to plant coca,” Gamboa said. “They’re going to do the illegal things.”

Afro-Colombians appeal to Obama to help vulnerable minorities

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Been meaning to read up more on Afro Colombian history....they seem to not be as c00nish as Dominicans

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Not trying to sound offensive, but it seems like they take Yoruba religion more seriously than Yorubas from Nigeria. Again no offense.

LOL I always felt like diasporans take this shyt more seriously than Nigerians themselves; I never met a Nigerian who was up on Ifa. But then again I don't know that many Nigerians anyway.

I think it's the same thing with African attire, iirc Fela Kuti said muthaphuckas in Africa weren't even wearing dashikis like that until African Americans started wearing it.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
LOL I always felt like diasporans take this shyt more seriously than Nigerians themselves; I never met a Nigerian who was up on Ifa. But then again I don't know that many Nigerians anyway.

I think it's the same thing with African attire, iirc Fela Kuti said muthaphuckas in Africa weren't even wearing dashikis like that until African Americans started wearing it.

Now would you believe that...

Also I thought you were Nigerian?

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo:

We must discuss. I have A LOT of questions. Why you keep it so down low? Just curious.:ohhh:

LMAO I don't really keep it down low, I've mentioned this before, I thought people knew it. :heh:

Matter fact people tag me whenever there's a thread about Brazil, I don't know why, I don't feel the need to come flying like :cape: ready to dispel any rumors about my country, but whatever. Anyway I figured it was obvious.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
LMAO I don't really keep it down low, I've mentioned this before, I thought people knew it. :heh:

Matter fact people tag me whenever there's a thread about Brazil, I don't know why, I don't feel the need to come flying like :cape: ready to dispel any rumors about my country, but whatever. Anyway I figured it was obvious.

I must have forgot then.:manny:

Anyways... Some of my question. You don't have to answer if you don't feel like, these questions I've had in my head for a moment and wanted to ask an Afro-latino.

1. I'm noticing more and more Afro-Latinos(especially Afro-Brazilians) claiming their blackness. What does this mean?
  2. In Brazil I am noticing that more and more black Brazilians are not being fooled by this "racial paradise" and are trying to form their own civil rights moment. How true is this.
  3. And lastly, AAs and Afro-Brazilians being the two largest populations of the diaspora, how powerful would both groups be if they united or AT LEAST influenced one another?

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm noticing more and more Afro-Latinos (especially Afro-Brazilians) claiming their blackness. What does this mean?

It could be a result of media representation, could be education, could be people ascending socially and stop feeling like their blackness is a burden, I don't really know the answer, I haven't thought about this tbh.

In Brazil I am noticing that more and more black Brazilians are not being fooled by this "racial paradise" and are trying to form their own civil rights moment. How true is this.

I'd like to believe any Black Brazilian who's ever been outside of his house knows there's no such thing as racial paradise, maybe their voices just weren't being heard until recently, the Black movement's been here since slavery they just weren't making noise until like the 90's. But you're always gonna have someone who's delusional in every country, Black folks being oblivious to racism isn't exclusive to Brazil.

And lastly, AAs and Afro-Brazilians being the two largest populations of the diaspora, how powerful would both groups be if they united or AT LEAST influenced one another?

Gonna need access to capital first, there's been some improvements but both populations are lagging behind other people in their countries. The influence is already there, at least to some extent, considering how Black American music and wardrobe are heard and emulated across the globe, you don't have mutual exchange and communication because of the language barrier I think.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
It could be a result of media representation, could be education, could be people ascending socially and stop feeling like their blackness is a burden, I don't really know the answer, I haven't thought about this tbh.

I'd like to believe any Black Brazilian who's ever been outside of his house knows there's no such thing as racial paradise, maybe their voices just weren't being heard until recently, the Black movement's been here since slavery they just weren't making noise until like the 90's. But you're always gonna have someone who's delusional in every country, Black folks being oblivious to racism isn't exclusive to Brazil.

Gonna need access to capital first, there's been some improvements but both populations are lagging behind other people in their countries. The influence is already there, at least to some extent, considering how Black American music and wardrobe are heard and emulated across the globe, you don't have mutual exchange and communication because of the language barrier I think.
If I may....regarding the last point, I think there is a certain ignorance of black Brazilians for Americans. For example nearly all the brazilians in the US are white and they are really concentrated only in a couple places (New England , Miami, NJ)