Essential Afro-Latino/ Caribbean Current Events

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If I may....regarding the last point, I think there is a certain ignorance of black Brazilians for Americans. For example nearly all the brazilians in the US are white and they are really concentrated only in a couple places (New England , Miami, NJ)

Yeah it goes both ways, you have people here who have no idea there are Black people in the U.S.

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Yeah it goes both ways, you have people here who have no idea there are Black people in the U.S.
Come to think of it...the only time I've ever seen a black Brazilian was when I went rose Brazil play the US (soccer) :dead:
My little cousin was actually one of the kids they walk out with dude was with Kaka I think:dead:

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Come to think of it...the only time I've ever seen a black Brazilian was when I went rose Brazil play the US (soccer) :dead:
My little cousin was actually one of the kids they walk out with dude was with Kaka I think:dead:

LOL. And it's not just with Brazil it's with Latin American places in general, shyt I didn't even know there were Black people in Puerto Rico until somebody put me on to reggaeton I thought everybody there looked like Ricky Martin.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
It could be a result of media representation, could be education, could be people ascending socially and stop feeling like their blackness is a burden, I don't really know the answer, I haven't thought about this tbh.

I'd like to believe any Black Brazilian who's ever been outside of his house knows there's no such thing as racial paradise, maybe their voices just weren't being heard until recently, the Black movement's been here since slavery they just weren't making noise until like the 90's. But you're always gonna have someone who's delusional in every country, Black folks being oblivious to racism isn't exclusive to Brazil.

Gonna need access to capital first, there's been some improvements but both populations are lagging behind other people in their countries. The influence is already there, at least to some extent, considering how Black American music and wardrobe are heard and emulated across the globe, you don't have mutual exchange and communication because of the language barrier I think.

Good post.

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Rebuilding Marcus Garvey’s Legacy in Costa Rica

By Jaime Lopez – May 13, 2016

Black-Star-Line-Limon-Costa-Rica-299x200.jpg

Black Star Line before the fire. Wikimedia Commons

Late April was an unkind time for Afro Caribbean culture in Costa Rica. On April 29, a structural fire consumed the Black Star Line building in Limón, destroying an important symbol of the legacy left by Marcus Garvey in our country.

Starting today, the good people of Limón will conduct a series of cultural and family events for the purpose of raising funds to rebuild the Black Star Line building, which dates back to 1922.

Bishop Javier Roman Arias of the Limón Diocese is inviting anyone who would like to have fun and learn about Afro Costa Rican culture to visit the periphery of the Black Star Line in Downtown Limón this weekend to enjoy the activities. The Ministry of Culture has already explained that it is low on funds for this rehabilitation project, and thus it is now up to the people of Costa Rica to take on this endeavor.

Here’s some historical background on the Black Star Line, courtesy of the Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture:

Marcus Mosiah Garvey was one of the most iconic figures of the Pan African movement, which called upon the diaspora of the Mother Continent to exercise their right of return. As a journalist, editor, activist, politician, businessman, and leader, Mr. Garvey called upon Afro Caribbeans and African Americans, many of whom descended from families raised on slavery, to unite for the betterment of their people.

Mr. Garvey was born on August 17, 1887, in the tiny seaside town of St. Ann’s Bay on the north coast of Jamaica. As a young man he was apprenticed to a printer and learned the skill of a compositor. He left school at fourteen and eventually moved to the capital of Kingston, where he worked as a printer; at the same time, he patiently acquired the skills of public speaking and participated in debating and elocution contests.

He left Jamaica in 1910 for Central America, settling first in the coastal town of Limón, Costa Rica, where he published a small newspaper. He would also spend time in Honduras and Belize and published another small paper in Panama. After returning to Jamaica briefly in 1912, he again left in 1913 when he moved to England and worked with the enigmatic Sudanese-Egyptian nationalist Dusé Mohamed Ali, in London, on the staff of Ali’s influential pan-African journal, The African Times and Orient Review.

Mr. Garvey’s travels through Europe opened his consciousness and defined his Pan African philosophy. He would later travel to the United States, where his philosophy and activism grew stronger and a bit radical for the times. Not long after his arrival in the U.S., Garvey quietly organized a chapter of the Universal Negro Improvement Association (UNIA), which functioned as a benevolent fraternal organization.

Drawing on a gift for electrifying oratory, Garvey melded Jamaican peasant aspirations for economic and cultural independence with the American gospel of success to create a new gospel of racial pride. “Garveyism” evolved into a religion of success, inspiring millions of blacks worldwide who sought relief from racial dispossession and colonial domination. The UNIA gave this doctrine of racial enterprise a tangible symbol that captured black imaginations when it launched the successful and profitable Black Star shipping line.

Mr. Garvey commissioned construction of the Black Star Line building in Costa Rica to serve as the Central American headquarters of the UNIA and to make Limón a world-class maritime terminal.

Rebuilding Marcus Garvey’s Legacy in Costa Rica
Ive been to this place. Wasnt aware it was related to Garvey in any way. THat was (i believe) in 2011 when i went to Limon Carnival in Costa Rica

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Jamaica tourism authorities targeting African American market

CARIBBEAN360 MAY 25, 2016

NEW-edmund-bartlett.jpg

Minister of Tourism Edmund Bartlett says there are 35 million people in the African American market that Jamaica wants to tap into.

KINGSTON, Jamaica, Wednesday May 25, 2016 – Minister of Tourism Edmund Bartlett says the Jamaica Tourist Board (JTB) will be using social media and other promotional means to go after the 35 million strong African American market.

Bartlett said that in addition to booking advertising spots in the mainstream media, extra effort will be made to target minority groups.

“There is a vast African American market out there along with other minority groups that we need to capitalize on,” the minister said.

“We need to appeal to their passion points. We need to get our message of being the friendliest and most relaxed destination in the region to their doorsteps.”

Bartlett said Jamaica’s two per cent share of the lucrative United States market is much too low and the extra effort will have to be made in going after minority groups, including those with special needs.

He added that there are many young people who travel all over the world to participate in activities such as city runs and other health activities.

“These are new opportunities for us to build on our product,” the minister added.

“We have an opportunity to go after these niche markets. We have to ensure that we get our message out there in an effective way, so people can understand that Jamaica is the place to feel alright. If this is done right, there is no telling what our growing potential could be.”

Jamaica tourism authorities targeting African American market

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Go green before energy costs rise

Saturday, May 28 2016

MORE than 80 percent of the cost of a building is accrued in operations over its life cycle.

This makes it imperative to ensure that buildings are designed and built to operate efficiently.

This was a core message delivered by Energy Advisors in the Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Technical Assistance (REETA) project at the Trinidad and Tobago Green Building Council (TTGBC) Breakfast Seminar themed, ‘The Business Case for Sustainability in an Energy Subsidized Economy’.

The seminar, the third hosted by the TTGBC, took place recently at the Courtyard Mariott, Port-of-Spain. REETA is funded by Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH. TT’s electricity price is significantly lower compared to other Caribbean islands and as a result there is little traction for green/ energy efficient buildings in TT.

GIZ Energy Advisor Glynn Morris, in delivering the feature address, “Energy in Buildings— The Business Case for Sustainability”, spoke from his experience in South Africa where electricity prices were also cheap.

However, he explained, energy shocks resulted in a significant increase in electricity prices and the subsequent increase in green building practices in South Africa to reduce electricity costs.

Approximately 40 percent of electricity consumption in the Caribbean is used for energy services in buildings. Traditional energy service is very inefficient and results in approximately 82 percent energy losses. Therefore, it makes business sense to invest in green buildings which use significantly less energy, less water and fewer raw materials, and produce less carbon dioxide emissions and less waste compared to traditional buildings.

GIZ Energy Advisor Simon Zellner, who also spoke at the seminar, gave a pointed presentation on the actual costs of buildings.

Whereas in T&T building owners tend to focus on upfront costs (Capex), Zellner demonstrated that the great majority of the cost of a building is in operations over its life cycle—which is an argument for why buildings should be designed and built to operate efficiently.

Hopefully, T&T will not wait for an electricity crisis with high tariffs like in South Africa to implement green energy efficient measures in new and existing buildings. The TTGBC Breakfast Seminar “The Business Case for Sustainability in an Energy Subsidized Economy” was staged with the participation of the Federal Republic of Germany.

The TTGBC was founded in 2010. Its mission is to transform the way T&T’s buildings and communities are designed, built and operated, enabling an environmentally and socially responsible, healthy, and prosperous environment that improves the quality of life.

The Breakfast Seminars are part of TTGBC’s objectives, which include increasing public awareness on green buildings and advocating for local policies on green building practices and standards.

Trinidad and Tobago's Newsday : newsday.co.tt :

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Despite reports, Haiti not joining the African Union

BY KENYA DOWNS May 20, 2016 at 6:02 PM EDT

A Haitian flag is used as an ornament by a spectator attending a ceremony marking the anniversary of the Battle of Vertire. Haiti maintains a close connection to its ancestral homeland in Africa. Photo by Swoan Parker/Reuters.

The African Union is denying that Haiti will become the organization’s first non-African member, stating that “only African States can join the African Union.”

“Haiti will not be admitted as a member state of the African Union at its next summit to be held in Kigali, Rwanda, as erroneously reported by several media outlets,” the organization said in a prepared statement.

Rumor of the change stemmed from a report by South Africa’s Morning Live, which was then picked up by media outlets in the United States, Haiti and its diaspora. The report even featured an interview with Haiti’s high commissioner to South Africa, Jacques Junior Baril.

“It’s not something we decided, it’s a place that we earned after we fought for our independence 212 years ago,” he said. “We paved the way for every other African nation to be free today, so historically speaking Haiti should have been in the AU already.”

Haiti is unique from the rest of the Caribbean. Much of its culture and history is still directly linked to countries like Benin, Sierra Leone and Togo. Toussaint Louverture, who led Haiti’s rebellion against the French in 1791, was of Beninese descent. Haiti established itself as a symbol of black independence, and as an advocate for the liberation of Africa from colonial rule after becoming the first black country to join the United Nations in 1945.

But despite the Caribbean nation’s strong ties to the continent, it will instead remain an observing member in the African Union. Haiti has held an observer status since 2012 but petitioned to be an associate memberthat same year. The petition has never been ratified. Instead, the African Union may vote to establish what it calls a “6th region,” comprised of delegates from all over the world representing the African diaspora.

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
“It’s not something we decided, it’s a place that we earned after we fought for our independence 212 years ago,” he said. “We paved the way for every other African nation to be free today, so historically speaking Haiti should have been in the AU already.”

:wow:

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
What are they saying this time?
i actually recognize this one poster as he/she trolls on the city-data forum that i lurk on

You're an "African American" though, so you don't even have a country. lol And you get killed in the US with impunity, as white Americans see you as inferior second-class citizens. So you can't possibly understand what it means to have national pride and identity.[/quote]
Is that why the Haitian government was crying to the USA after the
Parsley Massacre? Is that why you people where bytchin and complaining to
the international community because we have Haitians working as "slaves"
cutting sugarcanes, or cleaning toilets in Punta Cana. It's funny to me
how Haitians try to act like they're tough behind a computer screen,
when you're the most submissive chumps in real life. You live in a
fantasy land of make believe. Not too long ago you where getting raped
up the as* by UN soldiers in your own damn country. Haitians are the
biggest cowards and pushovers in the Caribbean region, you get treated
like crap by EVERYBODY. And now you're being rejected by your mama
Africa. lol[/quote]
The problem with Haiti is that they ethnically pure African while the Dominicans are of mixed blood (more diversified), the Haitians are scavengers that destroy, rape and pillage while Dominicans build.
We don't care about Africa, and our president sure as hell isn't begging to join the African union like Haiti's prime minister is. Haitians have no dignity and self-respect, and that's why they come to DR by the hundreds every day even though we don't want them here and many people here are disgusted by their very presence. 80% of Haitians are trying to escape their cesspit of country by any means. DR is like a first world country compared to Haiti. The city of Santo Domingo alone has a larger GDP and greater level of economic activity than the entire country of Haiti.
Click to expand...​
Dominic00ns :scust:
Click to expand...​

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
We don't have any allegiance to the Spanish, you moron. Just because we dislike Haitians for being unproductive parasitic scum doesn't mean we care for the Spanish either. As a matter of fact, my ancestors fought against Spanish colonial rule. I descend from Portuguese and Canary Islanders who settled in the Central region of DR called the Cibao in the early 1800s. Picture this, while my ancestors where fighting against the Spanish in the 1800s, your people where still getting their asses cracked by whips and being hanged on trees in the southern USA like some type of decoration.

very disgusting