Essential Afro-Latino/ Caribbean Current Events

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
PM asks Obama to exonerate Garvey!
by FB, IG & Twitter!: @JamaicaTakeOut - Apr 10, 2015

KINGSTON, Jamaica (AP) — Jamaica’s leader asked President Barack Obama on Thursday to exonerate black nationalist leader Marcus Garvey, who was convicted in the US of mail fraud in the 1920s and remains a prominent historic figure on the island.

Prime Minister Portia Simpson Miller said she told Obama it is the “deep desire of the government and people of Jamaica” to have Garvey exonerated of the conviction that got him deported back to his Jamaican homeland in 1927.

“I asked the president to consider the matter and to offer any support within his authority during his tenure in the White House, and beyond,” Simpson Miller said after Obama departed the island to attend the Summit of the Americas in Panama.

Garvey was the first person named a Jamaican national hero following the island’s independence in 1962, and the government put his likeness on coins. He died in 1940.

U.S. officials did not immediately provide comment about Simpson Miller’s request regarding Garvey, who once inspired millions of followers with messages of black pride and self-reliance. Obama made no mention of Garvey during his public comments in Jamaica, which focused on a wide range of regional issues including energy security, trade and climate change.

Born nearly 50 years after the abolition of slavery in Jamaica, Garvey founded the Universal Negro Improvement Association in Jamaica in 1914 and then built it into a mass movement in New York from 1919 to 1927. From his Harlem base, Garvey urged blacks to be proud of their African ancestry at a time segregation was deeply implanted in the US and European colonialism still stretched around the world.

Garvey’s Pan-African philosophy urged blacks to return to the continent of their ancestors.

His supporters in Jamaica and abroad contend the US charges were trumped up to silence Garvey.

Jamaica Observer

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
They going through a black conscious movement. :mjcry:Us english speakers and french speakers already did. Now the portuguese speakers, we just need our black spanish brothers to wake up :mjcry:
slide_416714_5295868_compressed.jpg

"I do not descend from slaves. I descend from human beings who were enslaved"

2wfomqe.gif

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Cuba seems to be the only Spanish speaking place that had any type of black pride/consciousness but this is before the revolution.....i gotta do more research

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
Recent killings in Bogota believed to be racially motivated

Seven afro-colombians have been killed in Bogota in the last month, leading community leaders to denounce what they see as an alarming increase in racially motivated murders, newspaper El Espectador reported on Thursday.

The most recent murders occurred on April 9 in the impoverished southern part of the city.

The victims, identified as Edward Samir Murillo and Daniel Perlaza, were each 20 years old and were dancers with group “Son del Yeme”, specializing in afro-colombian dances.

The suspects in the murders were said to have driven by on a motorcycle while opening fire on the two victims.

Witnesses to the occurrence claimed that the suspects shouted, “It’s time to get rid of these blacks”, as they rode by.

The reaction by the afro-colombian community has been one of anger and frustration, with many community groups performing a sit-in Thursday in the central Bolivar Square to demand a response from authorities.

“We’re denouncing the abuses that are being committed against the afro-colombian population in Bogota”, explained afro-colombian leader Aiden Salgado. “We’re going to demand that local and national authorities give us an explanation regarding these occurrences.”

http://colombiareports.co/recent-killings-in-bogota-believed-to-be-racially-motivated/

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Cuba seems to be the only Spanish speaking place that had any type of black pride/consciousness but this is before the revolution.....i gotta do more research

Nah breh, our Afro-Colombian brothers and Sisters are holding it down(and bee holding it down), particularly those from the Pacific(Choco, Cali, Buenaventura).

The Pacific region is on my wish list, and out of all the Spanish speaking Negros, they are the most organized.

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ending of Part 2 got me shook :wow:

After everything that happened, dude from Ghana meets dude from Suriname and they understand each other via their native tongue. That is rare as hell. Wow.

Had me tearing up, beautiful, stuff like this makes you realize what we have inside us. If we can all just realize this.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Nah breh, our Afro-Colombian brothers and Sisters are holding it down(and bee holding it down), particularly those from the Pacific(Choco, Cali, Buenaventura).

The Pacific region is on my wish list, and out of all the Spanish speaking Negros, they are the most organized.

dope; def gonna look into this. i think Colombia has the fourth largest amount of blacks in the Western Hemisphere (after Brazil, US, and Haiti)

i always messed with Colombians in general too :obama: