Essential Afro-Latino/ Caribbean Current Events

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
dope; def gonna look into this. i think Colombia has the fourth largest amount of blacks in the Western Hemisphere (after Brazil, US, and Haiti)

i always messed with Colombians in general too :obama:

You definitely should, they've retained a lot of African culture, and actually they're ahead of Haiti, just behind Brasil and US.

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
Cuba seems to be the only Spanish speaking place that had any type of black pride/consciousness but this is before the revolution.....i gotta do more research

This is true. My man is black Cuban and doesn't tolerate that nonsense.

I would like to learn more about black Cubans and their movement as well. :lupe:

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
Start with afrocubanismo :lupe:youre going to have to read spanish tho

I'm aware of it, being from Harlem, it was similar to the Renaissance.

My spanish is elementary at best. :dead: He's teaching me though. :manny: I might as well make use of it, being confused for Dominican most of my life lol.

Thanks.

I'm gonna be looking for any specific works on blacks in Cuba.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
I'm aware of it, being from Harlem, it was similar to the Renaissance.

My spanish is elementary at best. :dead: He's teaching me though. :manny: I might as well make use of it, being confused for Dominican most of my life lol.

Thanks.

I'm gonna be looking for any specific works on blacks in Cuba.
Ive had ppl ask me if im dominican and im like :pachaha:i look like a regular black guy bruh

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
acsn.jpg

HATE CRIME KILLINGS RATTLE BOGOTA’S AFRO-COLOMBIAN COMMUNITIES
On April 9, two Afro-Colombian young men were gunned down in the south Bogotá locality of Ciudad Bolívar while a nationwide march calling for peace was underway. Their assailants yelled “niches” and proceeded to shoot several rounds. Niches is a term for black people that can have a derogatory connotation depending on the way that it is used. Edward Samir Murillo Ramírez was shot six times and died on the scene. Daniel Andrés Perlaza Hurtado also received multiple bullet-wounds, from which he later died at the hospital. Witnesses to the attack heard one of the assailants declare: “We have to finish off these negros!

In response to these recent killings, civil society leaders organized a protest on April 16 in front of the Bogota City Hall. Over 500 people gathered to demand that the police and city administrators give due attention to the violent acts being committed against the city’s black population. Through a megaphone, one of the protesters exclaimed “Black people are killed, and there are no police sketches; No rewards offered; No press releases, and the police remain silent.”

After seven hours of demonstrations, which blocked traffic in busy intersections in the nation’s capital, protest leaders met with Gloria Flórez, the Bogota city government secretary and the highest-ranking official to address the protesters, and other district officials. Flórez stated that “according to the police, there are far right-wing groups behind the persecution of the Afrodescendant population, and especially young Afrodescendants.”

These hate crimes primarily target Afro-Colombians who, due to the internal armed conflict, have sought refuge in peripheral neighborhoods in the cities of Bogota and Soacha, where their plight remains mostly invisible to the majority of the city’s inhabitants. Both Edward Samir and Daniel Andrés were members of the National Association of Displaced Afro-Colombians (AFRODES) who participated in the organization’s cultural dance group. They are now among the 14 young Afro-Colombians who have been murdered throughout the city so far this year. Rumors of a list of at least 40 more targets for future killings continue to sow fear among the city’s black communities.

Approximately three out of every ten internally displaced persons are Afro-Colombian, a community that represents 10.62% of the population according to the most recent census. Just as this community has been disproportionately affected by the armed conflict, they are now re-victimized through these violent acts that reveal intolerance and xenophobia in Bogota.

Several agreements were reached after the protests, which include the implementation of a mass-media campaign to combat racism and xenophobia and the creation of a working group to develop a plan of action to prevent hate crimes against black communities. However, it remains to be seen whether the current administration will move to honor these agreements. With local elections approaching in October of this year, attention will likely shift away from these communities. Continued implementation by a new mayoral administration is also uncertain.

Meanwhile, Afro-Colombians in Bogota will remain vigilant. These communities have demonstrated that they will not stand by as these violent attacks continue and will once again take to the streets if necessary. Before the protests, not a single article had been published by a major Colombian news outlet about the violent attacks these communities have been enduring. Perhaps this recent attention from the press will help foster solidarity among the city’s inhabitants and increase pressure on police and city officials to protect the lives of the citizens who have fled from violence elsewhere in the country and are now having to re-live the same nightmare.

The Afro-Colombian Solidarity Network (ACSN) will monitor implementation of agreements made with the authorities. We urge Colombia to condemn these killings, provide effective protection for displaced youths at risk and to investigate and prosecute those responsible for the killings.

http://afrocolombian.org/2015/04/23/hate-crime-killings-rattle-bogotas-afro-colombian-communities/

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
A dossier of articles from The Nation on the United States Occupation of Haiti, 1915-1934
By THE PUBLIC ARCHIVE | Published: APRIL 24, 2015

“Between 1918 and 1932 The Nation carried more than fifty articles and editorials on conditions in Haiti. Evidence of torture and massacres uncovered by The Nation’s 1920 inquiry into the American occupation of Haiti led to a congressional investigation and helped bring the island independence in 1934.”

Herbert J. Seligmann, The Conquest of Haiti, The Nation 111 (July 10, 1920).

James Weldon Johnson, Self-Determining Haiti I: The American Occupation,The Nation 111 (Aug. 28, 1920).

James Weldon Johnson, Self-Determining Haiti II: What the United States Has Accomplished, The Nation 111 (Aug. 28, 1920).

James Weldon Johnson, Self-Determining Haiti III: Government Of, By, and For the National City Bank, The Nation 111 (Aug. 28, 1920).

James Weldon Johnson, Self-Determining Haiti IV: The Haitian People, The Nation 111 (Sept. 25, 1920).

Helena Hill Weed, Hearing the Truth About Haiti, The Nation (Nov. 1921).

Ernest H. Gruening, Haiti and Santo Domingo Today, The Nation 114 (Feb. 8, 1922).

Ernest H. Gruening, Haiti under American Occupation, The Century 103 (April 1922).

Source: Windows on Haiti: The U.S. Occupation of Haiti (1915-1934). Also see:Bibliography of articles on Haiti that appeared in Nation magazine.

Image: Demonstration in Haiti. Ernest H. Gruening Papers. Archives, University of Alaska, Fairbanks.

http://thepublicarchive.com/?p=4493

About

In 1963, C.L.R. James lamented Haiti’s “ceaseless battering from foreign pens.” Almost fifty years later, in the wake of the earthquake of January 12, 2010, little has changed. The mainstream media reproduce images of Haiti that merely reinforce every longstanding prejudice about the country and its people. As a consequence, Haiti’s past has been distorted behind the relentless images of destitution and anarchy. History itself has been a casualty of the earthquake.

In light of this obliteration of history, The Public Archive was initiated to serve as an accessible clearinghouse of historical essays, archival sources, and informed contemporary journalism on Haiti. The Public Archive compiles links to documents freely accessible through the digital collections of libraries and repositories as well as open-access online periodicals, academic journals and newspapers.

Follow The Public Archive on Twitter + Tumblr.

Image: Alexandra Handal: Pou Ayiti, fragments from C.L.R. James’ book ‘The Black Jacobins’ (1938), 2010.

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

thirdeye

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
:ohhh: a nice way to keep up with the issues my caribbean family is dealing with. Will link to my relatives. :myman:

cole phelps

Superstar
Daps
acsn.jpg

HATE CRIME KILLINGS RATTLE BOGOTA’S AFRO-COLOMBIAN COMMUNITIES
On April 9, two Afro-Colombian young men were gunned down in the south Bogotá locality of Ciudad Bolívar while a nationwide march calling for peace was underway. Their assailants yelled “niches” and proceeded to shoot several rounds. Niches is a term for black people that can have a derogatory connotation depending on the way that it is used. Edward Samir Murillo Ramírez was shot six times and died on the scene. Daniel Andrés Perlaza Hurtado also received multiple bullet-wounds, from which he later died at the hospital. Witnesses to the attack heard one of the assailants declare: “We have to finish off these negros!

In response to these recent killings, civil society leaders organized a protest on April 16 in front of the Bogota City Hall. Over 500 people gathered to demand that the police and city administrators give due attention to the violent acts being committed against the city’s black population. Through a megaphone, one of the protesters exclaimed “Black people are killed, and there are no police sketches; No rewards offered; No press releases, and the police remain silent.”

After seven hours of demonstrations, which blocked traffic in busy intersections in the nation’s capital, protest leaders met with Gloria Flórez, the Bogota city government secretary and the highest-ranking official to address the protesters, and other district officials. Flórez stated that “according to the police, there are far right-wing groups behind the persecution of the Afrodescendant population, and especially young Afrodescendants.”

These hate crimes primarily target Afro-Colombians who, due to the internal armed conflict, have sought refuge in peripheral neighborhoods in the cities of Bogota and Soacha, where their plight remains mostly invisible to the majority of the city’s inhabitants. Both Edward Samir and Daniel Andrés were members of the National Association of Displaced Afro-Colombians (AFRODES) who participated in the organization’s cultural dance group. They are now among the 14 young Afro-Colombians who have been murdered throughout the city so far this year. Rumors of a list of at least 40 more targets for future killings continue to sow fear among the city’s black communities.

Approximately three out of every ten internally displaced persons are Afro-Colombian, a community that represents 10.62% of the population according to the most recent census. Just as this community has been disproportionately affected by the armed conflict, they are now re-victimized through these violent acts that reveal intolerance and xenophobia in Bogota.

Several agreements were reached after the protests, which include the implementation of a mass-media campaign to combat racism and xenophobia and the creation of a working group to develop a plan of action to prevent hate crimes against black communities. However, it remains to be seen whether the current administration will move to honor these agreements. With local elections approaching in October of this year, attention will likely shift away from these communities. Continued implementation by a new mayoral administration is also uncertain.

Meanwhile, Afro-Colombians in Bogota will remain vigilant. These communities have demonstrated that they will not stand by as these violent attacks continue and will once again take to the streets if necessary. Before the protests, not a single article had been published by a major Colombian news outlet about the violent attacks these communities have been enduring. Perhaps this recent attention from the press will help foster solidarity among the city’s inhabitants and increase pressure on police and city officials to protect the lives of the citizens who have fled from violence elsewhere in the country and are now having to re-live the same nightmare.

The Afro-Colombian Solidarity Network (ACSN) will monitor implementation of agreements made with the authorities. We urge Colombia to condemn these killings, provide effective protection for displaced youths at risk and to investigate and prosecute those responsible for the killings.

http://afrocolombian.org/2015/04/23/hate-crime-killings-rattle-bogotas-afro-colombian-communities/

:ohhh::wow: my heart goes out to these brehs

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
Peruvian percussionists aim for cajon-playing record

record_Cajon_PERU-MUSIC_2704_620_413_100.JPG

LIMA, April 27 — The beats are bumping in downtown Lima, where thousands of Peruvians celebrate the native cajon percussion instrument — and attempt to beat the Guinness world record for largest cajon ensemble.

Dancers took to the city’s Plaza de Armas and moved to the rhythm.

The record attempt is part of the country’s eighth International Peruvian Cajon Festival, in honour of Afro-Peruvian music, which the cajon is famous for.

With more than 3,000 percussionists in full swing, Julie Guillerot, wife of afro-Peruvian musician Rafael Santa Cruz, who passed away last year, said she’s confident they’ll break the record.

“We should get to 3,500 cajon players performing in unison. We fulfilled our goals and dreams and we’re sending a message not just to Peru but to the world, to reaffirm the ‘Peruvianness’ of the cajon.”

For 10-year-old cajon player Mauricio Madrid — breaking records is an afterthought.

“I’ve played since I was little. I’ve enjoyed it. I’ve had a teacher who taught me and I like to play all the instruments. I hope to play all instruments.”

The cajon box was declared a “National Patrimony” back in 2001 by Peru’s National Institute of Culture, and is believed to have originated from the Peruvian coast during the early 19th century.

- See more at: http://www.themalaymailonline.com/f...jon-playing-record-video#sthash.w2qxezdd.dpuf

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Cuba seems to be the only Spanish speaking place that had any type of black pride/consciousness but this is before the revolution.....i gotta do more research

Cuba was pretty racist before the revolution though.

Castro and the rest of those fighting against the usa and Bautista had to overcome all that to even have a successful revolution and maintain it.

Really Cuba invented a cubanidad identity over just seeing things black or white and that helped unify them but the still embraced the black African population and culture and don't try to get rid of it like in other countries like US.

Now Afro Cuban contributions to the culture are one of the most celebrated aspects of the country.

Last edited:

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Cuba was pretty racist before the revolution though.

Castro and the rest of those fighting against the usa and Bautista had to overcome all that to even have a successful revolution and maintain it.

Really Cuba invented a cubanidad identity over just seeing things black or white and that helped unify them but the still embraced the black African population and culture and don't try to get rid of it like in other countries like US.

Now Afro Cuban contributions to the culture are one of the most celebrated aspects of the country.
You know Batista was a mulatto right? There's been many debates on whether blacks are better off now or before the revolution and i see both sides od the argument. Yes cuba's whites are one of the most racist but after the end of slavery in cuba you saw a lot of ex slaves enter the lower middle classes and working classes